Fighter who have the most title fight losses

BJ Penn has to be up on your list.....

Edit: Penn has 5 title fight losses with 1 draw as well.
Penn also had 7 title shots, 7 chances to fight a champ or for a vacant title.

Uriah Faber- 7 title losses in WEC and UFC
Randy Couture- 6
Frankie edgar- 4 title fight losses

There should be a term for people like frankie Edgar, faber, and gustaffson who are high level fighters and deserve to be ranked near the top, but just can't hang with the top 3 of their division. They can give the best fighters in the division a VERY tough fight, but they always seem to fall short of being a champion. inb4 losers.

If they'd never won, I'd agree. But they all also won and defended belts.

To me a gatekeeper is a guy like Mike Bisping. He's good enough to beat anyone outside of the top ten handily, but top five guys destroy him and he'll never be champ.

I see what you did there.

{<BJPeen}

So winning and defending a belt doesnt count? lol

Faber and Edgar names come to mind, but Edgar is a former UFC champion, and Faber dominated WEC for a while, and was very competitive in the UFC, more interesting is guys like Florian who had their chance and never won gold.

Uriah Faber- 7 title losses in WEC and UFC
Randy Couture- 6
Frankie edgar- 4 title fight losses

There should be a term for people like frankie Edgar, faber, and gustaffson who are high level fighters and deserve to be ranked near the top, but just can't hang with the top 3 of their division. They can give the best fighters in the division a VERY tough fight, but they always seem to fall short of being a champion. inb4 losers.

Except Randy and Edgar were both champs, Randy in two weight classes. Faber is somewhat unique in title fight losses.

Randy and Edgar have so many title fight losses because they competed in two different weight classes towards title shots.

Not much need for a term for a pretty much unique individual.

And gatekeeper is not even slightly appropriate. The term is used for guys that are top 10 but never seem to make it to the top 5.

Not top 3..Frankie is way better than everyone but aldo. Prime Faber is better than everyone except Cruz who is only marginally better

I still couldn't believe he beat Rockhold
God almighty, what a fuck up by Rockhold ... and we've all been paying for it. Luke is a far better fighter than Bisping. He was so unbelievably cocky going into that fight. Lazy jabs, chin straight up in the air, hands down. He thought Bisping had no power, and couldn't hurt him. His own fault. but god damn he fucked the whole division up royally.

Mad respect to Faber hanging in there all these years at the top,EVERYONE else in this category at least was UFC champ at one point.lol

I know WEC champ and all but damn,Jose wrecked TAM for so long.

They really were an impressive team. Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Machine Gun Kelly.

All kidding aside, it is difficult to make it to the Super Bowl 4 years in a row. The Scott Norwood Ray Finkle missed field goal was a shame.

to be fair, uriah earned all of those title shots

Back