Fighter wants to improve cardio.

rank1grappler

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Im a new fighter that wants to increase hes cardio. Should i only do running for how long and how fast?

A lot of people have good things to say about running for cardio.

I however never run and when I was fighting had excellent cardio, I achieved that by using a combination of hiit technique and steady state application of my discipline which is kickboxing.

Being able to kick 50+ times in a row then throw a hundred hooks, then a hundred straights as a round and to then repeat 5 times while training for 3 round bouts, for example, did me fine.

We nailed a good 30 min of squats, push-ups, burpees etc as a warm up.

The rest is being relaxed and breathing while fighting. That will really pay you the greatest dividends.

The final piece is to arrange your pace to match your style and to give yourself ways to catch your breath which are occluded to the opponent. I often used my jab being always the taller fighter, I trained my jab under exhaustion more than anything else and used movement and feints to back it up. They of course only worked because my opponent was already afraid of my power due to me setting the tone early on.

200 and 400 meter repeats at the track..run the given length and give yourself 30-1min rest and repeat for a few reps.....300 yard shuttle runs are good.....i like olympic lifts clean and press usually but i dont mean 100 reps in 10 minutes with 75 pounds im talking a good bit of weight for singles or doubles for 10-20 minutes straight rest about 30 seconds between efforts......the vast majority of your conditioning should come from practice and sparring and varying intensities

bas rutten audio workouts are great

Cookie cutter answer: sparring, rolling, heavy bag work, speed bag, drilling technique, and some form of LISS(eg run, bike, swim) 3-5days/week.

I think that you should consider reading the stickies. I am really impressed with it. They will help lay the foundation to your conditioning and after you build a solid framework, you can then ask your questions.

Check out some books by Ross Enamait

For just pure cardio (not anything about boxing) i do
Monday- 5k roadwork (jog)
Tuesday-Sprints (10 second sprint 50 second walk. i do 8 rounds, you should start at 6 and progress)
Wednesday- 5k Roadwork
Thursday- 2mile run (keep a high enough pace throughout)
Friday- Sprints
Saturday-5k Roadwork
Sunday- No morning session.

Back