Ferguson vs Khabib appreciation thread

That's great when things are going his way, but what happens when he faces a top wrestler who he can't get on the ground? What I was explaining in my post is that Khabib is very controlling in one area but because he is so one-dimensional, it is only a matter of time until his stand-up weakenesses get exposed.

Styles make fights and Khabib has looked excellent so far because he has had suitable match-ups, but he has not faced a single elite wrestler to give me confidence that he can win a fight when the takedown isn't there. Saying "he can take down anyone" is as blind as saying Carwin or Ngannou will just KO anyone; EVERYONE in mma is beatable. I don't consider Tony and elite wrestler and thus don't think he will win this fight, but Khabib is not the unstoppable force people make him out to be just because he has a padded undefeated record

Is Dos Anjos not hard to take down and a nightmare on the mat?

Khabib had some trouble with Tibau... But he's improved ten fold. He's just that far ahead of the LW division in terms of wrestling and grappling.

Alvarez is a legit wrestler and I think Khabib would dominate him

I know what you're saying... but I'm still waiting for that guy who can stop khabibs relentless attack... Its more than wrestling.. Its that DC, Cain, Khabib style constant pressure until they put you on your butt.

Is Dos Anjos not hard to take down and a nightmare on the mat?

Khabib had some trouble with Tibau... But he's improved ten fold. He's just that far ahead of the LW division in terms of wrestling and grappling.

Alvarez is a legit wrestler and I think Khabib would dominate him

I know what you're saying... but I'm still waiting for that guy who can stop khabibs relentless attack... Its more than wrestling.. Its that DC, Cain, Khabib style constant pressure until they put you on your butt.

1) Dos Anjos is not a wrestler. He has average takedown defense and has lost to several wrestlers previously. He has definitely improved, but that is not his base and he will never reach an elite level.

2) That fight was 4 years ago. Khabib cannot coast off that win forever and that victory doesn't absorb all of the success RDA had after that in MMAmath fashion. Wins over Dan Horcher, Michael Johnson, and Barboza over a 4 year stretch don't warrant the near GOAT status people are giving these guy no matter how dominant they were.

3) Back to the main point I said, Khabib has never beaten an elite wrestler. He is very fortunate that LW is extremely striker heavy right now, but divisions change up quickly so I think anyone banking on him continuing his one dimensional ways for a long time is delusional. No matter how good the 1 trick is, nobody can survive on just that forever. I think Khabib will beat Tony handily and I think he'd easily beat Connor but a fighter with the style of GSP or hell even a prime Josh Koshcheck would brutally expose Khabib.

Very excited for this fight but I think you are overrating Khabib just a bit. Some of the most vicious ground and pound in history? Guy has ONE stoppage from strikes on the ground against a can. Iron chin? Completely unproven at this point.

Khabib's cardio and takedowns are incredibly good. However, I am not as impressed as others with stats like he "scores the most takedowns per round of anyone." Really, IMO, that just shows that people are often able to get up after he takes them down which is not an efficient way to fight; I don't care how good someone's cardio is. Boring as it may be, if a guy like Jake Shields or Jon Fitch get on top of you, that round is over.

Also, Khabib's standup has looked very weak in the brief times we have seem him standing. Michael Johnson, who was never top 5 and is 1-5 in his last 6 fights, was lighting Khabib up before he got taken down.

No matter how many times we've seen hyped fighters get exposed, people always seem to delusionally think that one guy's dominant strength has the answer to beat all contenders. Khabib's grappling is amazing but how would he fare against a top wrestler who can stuff his takedowns and control the standup? How will his cardio hold up when he is taking damage and isn't getting takedowns at will? There are a lot of question marks around him still and until he is active for a long stretch of time (only 4 fights in the last 5 years) and faces a wider ranger of top competition, it is tough to read his full potential.

That being said, I still think he beats Tony. Ferguson has a very long win streak, but just like Khabib's record, none of those names really jump off the page at you besides RDA. Tony has a huge striking advantage but so does everyone who faces Khabib and I really don't think it matters. I think Tony's wrestling is a tad overrated and none of his previous opponents have the offensive wrestling to give me any sort of confidence that Tony can stuff Khabib's takedowns consistently come fight time. His defensive guard didn't look great against Kevin Lee either and I just think he will get worn out after being taken down over and over.

TLDR: Khabib in another non-telling UD win. When he faces a truly elite defensive wrestler though (which LW sorely lacks atm), he will get exposed badly
To your last point I'd be interested in Khabib fighting Frankie. That would be fun.

To your last point I'd be interested in Khabib fighting Frankie. That would be fun.

That'd be one of the only current fighters I would pick to beat Khabib but sadly, I think Frankie is getting a bit too old. He's been in the UFC for 11 years! I still think he could win; but it wouldn't be a sure thing like say the 2010 Frankie vs Khabib. Frankie was able to evade takedowns from Sean Freakin Sherk so I think he'd outpoint Khabib handily if they fought in their primes. It's too bad those Ben Henderson decisions went the wrong way; Aldo was the worst possible matchup for Frankie and I think he could have had a super long reign at 155 if he stayed there

Would like tony to win just so that Khab and his fans can come down to earth.

But most likely Khbib via UD - 3rd - 2, 4rds -1.

I appreciate Khabib vs Tony.

I just wish that most of the card didn't suck before it.

It will be good to see Zabit give someone a good old Chechen ninjafucking though.
Dude, I'd be pumped for this card even if the co-main was a baby bird vs. a slightly salted snail. I gotta see this fight with Tony and Khabob

Back