Fedors training

Jamesnewaza

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have seen a few videos of fedors training, he seems to do alot of old school kettlebells running and sledge hammers kind of stuff. I notice he likes to spend more time rolling amd sparring amd working on his craft. Is this common place in sambo and mma training in russia ?

I train with a few russians/kavkaz guys and they prefer more skill work with some conditioning as opposed to weight lifting specifically. It works well for some, i'm a fan of more craft working days myself as the wrestling style i came from was similar.

I don't think I've ever seen a video of him using kettlebells, just that picture where he stands next to them that everyone speculated about.

More recently I've seen him use weights, but he said for many years he never used...during Pride, etc. Videos showed him running, pull-ups, push-ups, planks, band exercises, using a sledgehammer.

As for training in Russia in general, Aaron Pico has trained with the Russian national team recently and said presently they don't lift weights. Mostly, they just wrestle.

I have some friends who went pretty far in the sport, they said there is a pretty big contrast between USA training and there.

USA is a lot of machismo, working guys out till they feel like dropping dead, Russia treats it more like an art form, mastering the technique.

Here's a more recent one. And by recent, I mean 2012. And I have no idea if this was normal for him at some point, or they just had him do Crossfit for a day, for show, or something.

I don't think I've ever seen a video of him using kettlebells, just that picture where he stands next to them that everyone speculated about.

More recently I've seen him use weights, but he said for many years he never used...during Pride, etc. Videos showed him running, pull-ups, push-ups, planks, band exercises, using a sledgehammer.

As for training in Russia in general, Aaron Pico has trained with the Russian national team recently and said presently they don't lift weights. Mostly, they just wrestle.

I have some friends who went pretty far in the sport, they said there is a pretty big contrast between USA training and there.

USA is a lot of machismo, working guys out till they feel like dropping dead, Russia treats it more like an art form, mastering the technique.

It's pretty well known that Russians put an emphasis on technique and drilling over the more intense style the Americans follow. However, I don't believe anyone that says they don't lift...

Example A. Abdusalam Gadisov
4551c3393d0991c816d9708bdd50332f.jpg

Example B. Aleksandr Karelin
tumblr_n5c33g1qaV1s3fncco1_500.jpg

Obviously, these two are outliers. Some may lift. Some may not.

Last edited:
It's pretty well known that Russians put an emphasis on technique and drilling over the more intense style the Americans follow. However, I don't believe anyone that says they don't lift...

Example A. Abdusalam Gadisov
4551c3393d0991c816d9708bdd50332f.jpg

Example B. Aleksandr Karelin
tumblr_n5c33g1qaV1s3fncco1_500.jpg

Obviously, these two are outliers. Some may lift. Some may not.
Karelin isn't modern though. You can see YT videos of Soviet era guys lifting(rather awkwardly).

I dunno....I don't see why Pico would lie. He spent his time with Sazhidov in Dagestan, I think. I'm not even sure if Pico himself does, he trains with Nick Curson doing that Marinovich stuff. He's pretty muscular for a little teenage dude.

Karelin isn't modern though. You can see YT videos of Soviet era guys lifting(rather awkwardly).

I dunno....I don't see why Pico would lie. He spent his time with Sazhidov in Dagestan, I think. I'm not even sure if Pico himself does, he trains with Nick Curson doing that Marinovich stuff. He's pretty muscular for a little teenage dude.

I'm not saying he's lying. I think some lift, but most don't.

I'm not saying he's lying. I think some lift, but most don't.

It obviously works for them, but it's somewhat ironic so many Russian fighters don't lift, given their nation's traditional dominance of Olympic Weightlifting. And the impact people like Boris Sheiko have had on Powerlifting.

It obviously works for them, but it's somewhat ironic so many Russian fighters don't lift, given their nation's traditional dominance of Olympic Weightlifting. And the impact people like Boris Sheiko have had on Powerlifting.

I know a couple guys from Kazakhstan who were wrestlers, now they just do bjj. Both of them claim they never lifted, in fact they didn't even know what a kettlebell was the first time they saw one which surprised me and neither of them are big but they are absolutely brutal grapplers. Like it's really painful to roll with them.

I don't know if it's normal to lift or not in that area of the world but these guys don't and they are excellent grapplers. Again though, just 2 non professional guys.

IIRC Fedor is pretty old-school about roadwork, too, think he does 8 miles a day or something like that. In a lot of circles it's considered outdated or old fashioned, and is abandoned in favor of HIIT and sprint work, or so it would seem.

I like old school roadwork myself.

The former soviet union is big as fuck, and different regions may have different approaches to training. Daegestan is notorious for not having much in the way of facilities.

The former soviet union is big as fuck, and different regions may have different approaches to training. Daegestan is notorious for not having much in the way of facilities.

Never been, but I've seen some videos, this place looks pretty nice, although low-tech.

Back