Favorite combo's/tactics/setups/traps against taller fighters?

Alanf7

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I've been kickboxing for some months now and i struggle against them while sparring. They either intercept me when im coming in with a jab or straight or with a body kick. Any tips?

body jabs, then fire the overhand, you really have to sell it, they have to feel when you drop for the overhand, that its a body jab, so they're crunch in, and eat it upstairs

Learn to take angles and put them in the corner (ring cutting), and work from there. Don't take them on straight on. Also, your head should be moving off to the side when you strike, if you;re straight on, they'll obviously win because they're taller and have a longer reach. Unless you're a freak with orangutan arms

Last edited:
body jabs, then fire the overhand, you really have to sell it, they have to feel when you drop for the overhand, that its a body jab, so they're crunch in, and eat it upstairs
This

I've been caught a couple of times like this but that's because I had a habit of dropping my hands.

Try and get past the jab, cut them off when they are moving back, work your way inside.

Learn to take angles and put them in the corner (ring cutting), and work from there. Don't take them on straight on. Also, if your head should be moving off to the side when you strike, if you;re straight on, they'll obviously win because they're taller and have a longer reach. Unless you're a freak with orangutan arms
This

I've been caught a couple of times like this but that's because I had a habit of dropping my hands.

Try and get past the jab, cut them off when they are moving back, work your way inside.
Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

Even if i prefer a more MT oriented style, I think Zambidis is one of the best "short" fighters in KB. And i think the guy who does the analysis does a good job here:

You can eat the body kick and pick the leg and at the same time with the other hand throw a big overhand. Another variation of this technique is to eat the kick first and then picking the leg, pull to you and overhand while the opponent body is being pulled.

To counter opponent punches overhand hooks and straights in general while ducking are the way to go in my opinion.

J123 mentioned the body jab, overhand combo which is good. Watch Tyson throw a body jab. He will take a huge step forward and slide his rear foot up while doing this. If you are short, angles are best; but, also, you will have to develop some explosive linear footwork--i.e. step and slide, shuffle forward, etc. You need to spend a lot more time defending against straight shots than anything else. That is all for now if you have only been doing it for months

Back