Favorite Albums

chaosclown17

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Very rarely do I find an album that has more than one or two song I enjoy on it. In honor of that, I create this thread in dedication to the albums that were excellent all around, and I invite you to share the albums that you felt were the same.

(I won't have any albums that were before my time. Out of the Blue and Cosmo's Factory come to mind immediately, but I wasn't there to experience them.)

La La Land - Wax Fang - The songs have kind of the simple complexity that stick with you even when they aren't playing.

This album opens with Majestic, and closes with Wake Up, Sleepyhead. Those two songs alone could have carried the album.

However, with Cannibal Summer, The Doctor Will See You Now, Avant Guardian Angel Dust, and Oh Recklessness smack dab in the middle force this album to greatness in my mind.

World War II and Can You See the Light are the weak points of this album in my opinion. Though if it was anybody other than Wax Fang I would have thought it was pretty damn good.

I also had an issue with the instrumental only At Sea. Which was excellent, but I just felt like all that beautiful music was wasted without some lyrical enhancement.

I would also like to give an honorable mention to Black & Endless Nights. That song could have easily closed this album, but instead it served as lube for the wonderful climax that was Wake Up, Sleepyhead.

Undun - The Roots - I only recently discovered this album. The UFC 167 promo's use of the song Sleep drew me in, but let me tell you, I am hooked.

They have some of the most amazing choruses in any music I've heard. The lyrics are quite enjoyable in their own right, but The Roots do with the choruses what very few bands are capable of doing anymore.

Most of the songs on this album didn't convince me. They just sounded like general rap to me. A little better than what seems to be shat out in the mainstream these days, but nothing gripping. However, once that chorus hit it was like a light in the dark. It brought the song together in ways I could not imagine.

They lead with Dun, which is one of those weird intros I am not very fond of.

However, they immediately lit a fire under my ass with Sleep. Make My tended the flames, and One Time and Kool On added gasoline. The way One Time and Kool On blend into one another was magical.

Stomp was a bit of a letdown. It lacked that magical chorus that seemed to bring most the others together.

The chorus of Lighthouse was a little too Pop for my tastes, but it wasn't terrible.

I Remember had a similar chorus, but it fit with the tone of the song, and improved it immensely.

Tip the Scale was the grand finale in my opinion. It rivaled if not surpassed the excellence of the first part of the album, and did it mostly through the lyrics. The chorus was good, but a bit weak by the albums standards.

The Redford Suite instrumentals were of varying degrees of quality. Redford was absolute excellence, and possibly broke away from how I felt about At Sea in a way that I feel that it might not have improved with lyrics.

Possibility was decent. Will to Power was a mess; though deliberately so. I still didn't feel that made it any better.

Finality wasn't as bad as Will to Power, but wasn't as good as Possibility. Had it not been so short before it drifted off into this rolling thunder type sound it might have been between Possibility and Redford.

(In the interest of keeping my initial post from turning into a wall of text I'll leave it at two. Though there were several more right off the top of my head.)

[YT]7_wPs-Ay7jI[/YT]

[YT]FAApF-FDkoY[/YT]

[YT]KIea_AMnbnQ[/YT]

[YT]HfLGeV68Sus[/YT]

[YT]tiKaugXygqI[/YT]

I also loved undun and thought is was cool as shit when the ufc used it in the promo.

If you didnt know, Its a concept album. It is the story of the life of a fictitious character (whose name escapes me) told in reverse chronological order... or something like that. I hope that helps your enjoyment of it.

I would also recommend How I Got Over which I liked a little better.

I also loved undun and thought is was cool as shit when the ufc used it in the promo.

If you didnt know, Its a concept album. It is the story of the life of a fictitious character (whose name escapes me) told in reverse chronological order... or something like that. I hope that helps your enjoyment of it.

I would also recommend How I Got Over which I liked a little better.
I had heard about the character, but have not yet pieced it together in my mind.

I'll definitely check out How I Got Over. Right now I'm switching between which Frank Ocean album to include in my next one. I just my include both, though I'm trying to avoid that.

Thanks to the other contributors.

Wow this thread has never been done before.

This should be in P&M.

Lol at Ravden post whoring the first three posts instead of just making one post.

Deftones - Diamond Eyes

Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt

Kanye West - Graduation

Soundgarden - Down On the Upside

Chevelle - Vena Sera

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

Just a few off the top of my head:

Deep Purple - Machine Head
[YT]K3_RC2PKswg[/YT]

Megadeth - Rust in Peace
[YT]Lcm9qqo_qB0[/YT]

Jeff Buckley - Grace
[YT]hXe1jpHPnUs[/YT]

A Mind is a Terrible Thing by Christ on Parade.

[YT]3dDO6dc-GH0[/YT]

This should be in P&M.

Lol at Ravden post whoring the first three posts instead of just making one post.
Post an album or stfu.

This should be in P&M.

The ot has made you into a mean canadian lol.

Masters of the Universe by Binary Star would be in my top 5.. Rest of my top 5 is pretty typical so I won't even mention them

And Illadelph Halflife is my favorite Roots album, it's kinda different from Undun though, How I Got Over would probably more similar. Black Thought is a top 3 emcee OAT imo though, and the Roots don't have a bad album in their long ass discography

And like the other guy said, you should figure out the concept

The best album of the past 20 years.

Also Castaways and Cutouts, by the Decemberists as well. Great album.

Damn guys, thanks for all the music. I was hoping this thread might spark a new musical interest and I was not disappointed.

Nostalgia Ultra - Frank Ocean - I though about not including this one do to Frank's heavy amount of sampling. However, I think there is only a single song on this album Frank didn't improve heavily on (Plus it is freaking amazing any way).

Strawberry Swing by Coldplay wasn't bad, but Frank's unique twist on it elevated it to near god status in my opinion.

There Will Be Tears by Mr.Hudson was not good aside from the chorus in my opinion. Frank turned it into something magical in my opinion.

Nature Feels is one of the weaker songs on the album in my opinion. However, it still blows away Electric Feel.

I will say that American Wedding was pretty shitty. Hotel California was excellent by the Eagles, but I think Frank took a massive misstep trying to use his flair on this one. Definite low point in my opinion.

Other than American Wedding this was an amazing album.

Strawberry Swing, Novacane, and We All Try is probably one of the strongest first three songs on an album I can think of. Simply amazing. When you lead off with songs that good you know you are in for a ride.

Songs for Women isn't a bad song in its own right, but coming off those first three it isn't amazing.

Lovecrimes picks it back up. It starts a bit poorly in my opinion, but after the first chorus hits it is amazing.

There Will Be Tears and Swim Good turn it back up to the excellence the first three songs demonstrated.

Dust was a stumble in my point. Not as smooth as most of Frank's other tracks on this album. Just felt kind of disjointed and forced to me.

I've already discussed how I felt about American Wedding, but I will say I felt that American Wedding severely dampened Nostalgia Ultra's end.

Nature Feels is sillier than the rest of the album. Lyrically I felt it wasn't great. However, it wasn't a bad song, and definitely could be considered redeeming against Dust and American Wedding.

I would also like to talk about the album's use of strange interludes. They really throw off the pacing of the album in my opinion, and don't add anything.

He uses this in his next album too, but they weren't as noticeable then.

I really dislike this, but what are you going to do?

just recently

born sinner
blue chips 2 (mixtape but who cares)
life and times of jonny valiant
i am

Back