Fasting and carbs

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by repsakv, Jun 5, 2018.

1. repsakv

repsakv White Belt

Hi guys,

Nowadays you here so much about intermittent fasting and all the proven benefits.
    To be honest, it doesn't sound hard at all: 8 hour window to eat => eating from 12 to 20 for example, I'm not really hungry in the morning anyways.

That being said. Most people(not all) who talk about intermittent fasting say you should limit carbs to a minimum, almost keto. Now my question is: is it useless to start intermittent fasting if you dont cut your carbs?

grtz

2. Pope Leo VII

Pope Leo VII Green Belt

what.. why would you cut carbs

going to make it even harder without them

3. 7even

7even Orange Belt

Actually intermittent fasting is much, much easier when you’re fat adapted. You’re depleting your glycogen stores each time you fast if you’re filled with it. You don’t want to go through a Keto flu each time you do it. The headaches suck. So I recommend to be in ketosis when you fast.

Badger67 and repsakv like this.
  4. Pope Leo VII

Pope Leo VII Green Belt

Ive been doing IF for years now, and usually throw in a 24+ hour fast each week.. no issues whatsoever with headaches/etc, so dont know what youre talking about

if anything, find it easier when you load up on carbs *shrugs shoulders*

repsakv likes this.
  5. 7even

7even Orange Belt

I been fasting for over a year, and each time I load up on carbs I get fucking headaches and become hungry as hell after I start the fast. I do omad (one meal a day) almost every day and do 48 hour fasts twice a month.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  6. tekkenfan

tekkenfan Purple Belt

i have to least have 100g of carbs daily and if training least 150 or more

7. Frederick Burns

Frederick Burns White Belt

Not useless at all, I would recommend it in fact. First change when you eat, not what. After some time following the 16:8, then trend low-carb.

repsakv likes this.
  8. Saint Of The K

Saint Of The K Green Belt

I'm not sure who says you should limit carbs to a minimum when fasting. Most likely not experts.
    If you want you can have a look at the strategy suggested by Leangains, ie. cycle your carbs based on whether it's training day or not.

repsakv likes this.
  9. Pope Leo VII

Pope Leo VII Green Belt

crucial intel here, usually what I try and do.. though the longer fasts are easier following destroying a large pizza/ton of carbs

repsakv likes this.