Fast food junky, Pans / Worlds prep

akdms

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I admit, I'm pretty poor with my diet. I work a lot and have a two+ hour round trip work commute. If I train at night, I'm gone from 7 am to 9:30 pm.

Other than a notion that it's bad for me in the long run (and that it's expensive) and is probably contributing to my general feeling of lethargicness, I don't have much reason to stop. Right now, I eat fast-food usually two times per day, sometimes three (I know, I know...). I'm probably spending $100 to $150 a week more on food than if I made quality meals at home. I currently train around 10-15 hours a week in preparation for the Pans and Worlds.

So, I'm giving myself a short-term incentive to achieve two longer-term goals (not eating fast-food, and doing well at the Pans/Worlds): Any week that I do not eat fast food I can do a one-hour private with my instructor (at $65 this still saves me money). If I cheat and eat fast-food up to twice in a week, I can do a half-hour private. More than that and I don't get a private. If I eat crap food (fries, cheeseburgers, etc.) at one of the two cheat meals, I don't get a private.

Exceptions are work meals (client meals, meals while traveling, etc.) and eating out with my wife (I'll allow myself to eat out twice a week with her... we usually have sushi / sashimi anyway, so that's not exactly blowing my diet).

I'm 27, currently weigh 163-165. I'd like to drop around five pounds in the next two months so I'm safe come weigh-ins.

I'll keep a log here to keep me on track. Any comments on my diet would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Got up early to do some light training for an hour at 7 am. Got about six hours of sleep, and was woken up a few times. Was a bit tired today, but not too bad. Have a local tournament tomorrow morning, which I weighed in for at 7 pm. Came in at 167 lbs with cloths (no shoes).

6:30 am: Banana

8:30 am: 3 large scrambled eggs, 1/4 cup of steel cut oats, multi-vitamins

12:30 pm: Pack of albacore tuna on whole wheat bread (two slices, 90 cals each) with a tbsp of light mayo, 1 banana, 1 large carrot

1:30 pm: Protein powder came in. 2 cups of 1/2% milk with a scoop of ON Oats & Whey

4:30 pm: Peanut butter (natural PB, zero sugar/salt added) & light preserves on whole wheat bread. Cup of 1/2% milk with scoop of ON Oats & Whey

7:30 pm: Sushi with the wife (we usually have sushi on the weekends). 7 pieces of sashimi (raw fish without rice -- 2 tuna, 1 red snapper, 4 crab) and 2 tuna rolls

Approximate breakdown for the day:

Calories: 2,500 (net around 2,100 or so after training)
Fat: 57g
Carbs: 277g
Protein: 207g

Any comments would be appreciated.

Tournament yesterday -- was there for eight hours. Didn't feel like updating my log after. Got about eight hours of sleep.

8 am: 3 large scrambled eggs, 1/4 cup of steel cut oats, ON oats & whey protein mixed into the oats, multi-vitamins

12 pm: Turkey sandwich

6 pm: Peanut butter (natural PB, zero sugar/salt added) & light preserves on whole wheat bread. Two cups of 1/2% milk with two scoops of ON Oats & Whey

8 pm: 8 oz steak sirloin (fat trimmed) and a large mixed salad with feta cheese, a few croutons, and a few tablespoons of light ranch

Calories: 2,300 (net around 2,100 after the tournament)
Fat: 95g
Carbs: 175g
Protein: 186g

Last edited:
Trained about 1:30 hours today.

9 am: 3 scrambled eggs on two slices of whole wheat bread, cup of milk, multi-vitamins

2 pm: Tuna on whole wheat bread with a tablespoon of light mayo, scoop of ON oats & whey with cup of 1/2% milk

5 pm (post training): Tuna on whole wheat bread with a tablespoon of light mayo. Two cups of 1/2% milk with two scoops of ON Oats & Whey

8 pm: Wasn't really hungry and don't have much food (need to go shopping...). A few slices of reduced fat hot pepper cheese and kashi 7 grain crackers

Calories: 3,000 (2,400 net)
Fat: 85g
Carbs: 310g
Protein: 255g

I really need more veggies... :-/

Yesterday:

8 am: 1/4 cup of oatmeal with a scoop of whey

12 pm: Tuna sandwich on whole grain with 2 cups of milk

2 pm: Banana

5 pm: Cup of whole wheat noodles and tomato sauce

7-9 pm: Trained

9:30 pm: Three or four cups of turkey chili (1 lb of ground turkey, 4 cups of beans, 1 can of chopped tomatoes, bell pepper, two jalape

Last edited:
(Yesterday)

10 am: Two egg sandwich, two cups of milk with two scoops of whey

3 pm: Sushi!

IMAG0126-1.jpg

6:30 - 9 pm: Trained (wasn't expecting to -- I thought my school had closed for the day due to weather)

9:30 pm: 1 1/2 cups of leftover turkey chili with tortilla chips

Last edited:
More veggies, baby! They are just dense (as in mass, lots of food mass for so few calories) and nutrient dense. Good for you nutrients, and good for filling you up.

Also, you may never tire of eggs and oats. I don't care if you feel tired of eggs and oats, you just can't be.

Yesterday:

9 am: Kashi cereal, cup of milk with whey

12 pm: Tuna sandwich with tablespoon of light mayo on whole grain bread, two bananas

4 pm: Peanut butter (natural PB, zero sugar/salt added) & light preserves on whole wheat bread. Two scoops of whey with water (out of milk :icon_conf)

8 pm: 1/2 lb spicy chipotle turkey burger (oh sooo good... lean ground turkey, chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped cilantro, onion / garlic powder, black pepper, slice of mozzarella, toasted bun, grilled) and a huge salad (green lettuce, spinach, kale, other veggies, some light feta and croutons with a dipping cup with light ranch)

Last edited:
Yesterday:

8 am: 3 eggs & 1/4 cup of oatmeal

11 am: 5 oz of tuna with light mayo on whole wheat bread with a banana

12 pm: Our admin made our team mini-cupcakes... I had two

1:30 pm: Cup of non-fat Greek yogurt with blueberries

4 pm: Ham/cheese/lettuce wrap that was left over from a meeting

7 pm: Sushi with my wife -- sashimi (2 tuna, 4 crab, 4 egg) and tuna roll

Approx breakdown:
Calories 2150
Fat: 51g
Carbs: 243g
Protein: 174g

Today:

10 am: 1/4 cup of oatmeal with scoop of whey

12 pm - 2:30 pm: Training, with over an hour of rolling

3:30 pm: Protein smoothie (half cup of non-fat Greek yogurt, half cup of 1/2% milk, scoop of whey, half cup of blueberries, one banana)

4:30 pm: 5 oz of tuna with light mayo and lettuce/tomato on whole grain bread

7:30 pm: Went out with my wife. Spinach salad with garbanzo beans and turkey with vinaigrette. Ate the other half of my wife's club sandwich. (starving today....)

Approx breakdown:
Calories 1800 (net 825... yikes! guess i shouldn't have gotten up so late and then drove an hour each way to a 2 1/2 hour class... guess I should go make something else...)
Fat: 36g
Carbs: 223g
Protein: 151g

Edit:

Too late to make much: made a large salad (lettuce, kale, spinach, tomato, a half a cup of croutons, and light ranch) and a casein shake (1 scoop, 2 cups of 1/2% milk)

Up to around 2400 calories (1400 net), 55g fat, 280g carbs, and 200g protein

Last edited:
Yesterday: Didn't eat enough, again... Don't know what's wrong with me...

10 am: 3 eggs on two slices of whole wheat bread

11 am: Protein smoothies, two glasses full (cup of non-fat Greek yogurt, cup of 1/2% milk, scoop of whey, cup of blueberries, one banana)

1 - 3: Trained

5 pm: 1/2 lb spicy chipotle turkey burger and a large salad with kale, spinach, lettuce, tomatos, and some parm cheese/croutons/light ranch

7 pm: Hummas with one pita

Approx breakdown:

Calories: 1875 (1275 net)
Fat: 50g
Carbs: 210g
Protein: 150g

Weighed in this morning at 162.6

Yesterday: Was busy yesterday... Don't remember exactly what I had... :-/

Breakfast: Egg sandwich and protein shake (2 scoops, 2 cups of milk)

Lunch: 2.5 oz tuna sandwich, 2 bananas

Snack: Hummus and a slice of pita bread

Dinner: Made a pizza with whole grain crust, non-fat mozzarella, half a pound of ground turkey, and three bell peppers. Had about half the pizza.

Last edited:
Was really busy the last few days and was working late at work. Didn't really track what I ate -- was about the same. Didn't have time to go shopping and I ran out of food yesterday... Stopped at Panera for breakfast & had a Power Sandwich (14g fat, 31g carbs, 22g protein) yesterday (first cheat meal of the week).

Today:

Still no food... Had a shake for breakfast (blueberries, banana, non-fat Greek yogurt, 1/2% milk, and a scoop of whey)

1 - 3 pm: Trained about an hour of rolling

4 pm: Still no food... Stopped at Whole Foods. Had a 1.2 lbs salad with garbanzo beans, chopped hard boiled eggs, three whole hard boiled eggs, and some cranberries and blue cheese. No dressing or croutons. Also had a scoop of brown rice, a scoop of beans, and a can of coconut water. Second cheat meal of the week.

8 pm: Bought food! Had two steak fajitas with onion, peppers, lettuce, non-fat sour cream, and some cheese.

I need to eat more. :-/

Last edited:
Yesterday:

10 am: Three eggs and a 1/4 cup of steel cut oatmeal

11 am: Glass of milk and a banana

1 - 3 pm: Trained, with about an hour of rolling

4:30 pm: Peanut butter (natural PB, zero sugar/salt added) & light preserves on whole wheat bread. Protein shake (2 scoops of whey, 2 cups of 1/2% milk, 1 cup of blueberries, 1 banana

9:30 pm: Kashi cereal (late dinner of champions!) & half a cup of non-fat Greek yogurt

Okay. Blew last week. Was working late every night -- ended up grabbing Panera and Chipotle (bowl with chicken, guac, rice, black beans, lettuce, and hot sauce... mmmm) a few times. To top it off, I got ringworm, so no training for me for the next couple weeks. Luckily I hadn't purchased my tickets to Cali yet -- I'm thinking I'm going to focus on Worlds. I still have some holes in my game that I was trying to fill in, but that's obviously not going to happen before Pans with taking 2 - 3 weeks off.

I'm going to make the most of my time off. I started yoga (ashtanga & power vinyasa) back up to keep myself in shape and work on my balance/flexibility/posture. I should be able to make it a good 3 - 4 days a week (classes are usually at the same time BJJ is).

Today:

10:30 am: Slept in, grabbed some cereal before heading off to a two hour ashtanga class. I just read about cooking steel cut oats overnight in a thermos mug... I think I'm going to give that a try.

1:30 pm: Turkey sandwich with light mayo, cup of non-fat Greek yogurt with blueberries.

3 pm: Glass of milk

4 pm: Dinner (sort of) with my wife at Panera (she was on he way to work). Had a chicken cobb salad.

8 pm: Peanut butter (natural PB, zero sugar/salt added) & light preserves on whole wheat bread. Glass of milk.

Last edited:
11:30 am: half cup of steel cut oats, a cup of non-fat Greek yogurt with blueberries, 1 scoop of whey with a cup of milk.

4 pm: Steak (~6 oz) and a salad (kale, spinach, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, croutons, light ranch) with a class of milk

8 pm: Half a cup of Greek yogurt

11 pm: Peanut butter (natural PB, zero sugar/salt added) & light preserves on whole wheat bread. Glass of milk.

Last edited:
11:30 am: 3 eggs, half a cup of steel cut oats with blueberries

1 pm: Bowl of cereal

4:30 pm: 5 oz of tuna on whole grain bread with light mayo, two carrots

6:30 pm: Sushi (8 pieces of sashimi and a roll)

9 pm: PB&J sandwich and glass of milk

Last edited:
Today, so far:

9 am: Cereal and a protein shake (1 scoop of whey and a 1 1/2 cups of milk)

12 pm: PB&J sandwich

3 pm: Couple carrots

Last edited:
Alright, it's a new week. Was sent out to a client's last week and had to eat out (on company tab). Nothing bad though. Didn't feel like updating over the weekend (again, nothing bad).

Yesterday:
8 am: Non-fat Greek yogurt with blueberries and a glass of milk with one scoop of whey.

11 am: Natural peanut butter and light preserves on whole wheat bread.

2 pm: 5 oz of tuna with light mayo on whole wheat bread.

6 pm: Two enchiladas (~half lb of chicken trimmed chicken breast, salsa, sprinkling of 2% cheese, black refried beans, enchilada sauce, two whole wheat tortillas [12g fiber each]).

Yesterday:

11 am: 3 eggs and 6 oz steak with whole wheat toast

4 pm: Ham sandwich

6 - 9: Trained with about an hours worth of rolling

10 pm: Protein shake (2 scoops of whey, 2 cups of milk) and half a Digiorno pizza

Yesterday:

10 am: Cup of refried beans and tortilla chips

12 - 2:30: Trained, with about an hour and 15 of rolling

3 pm: Grabbed a chicken sandwidge from Wendy's (was starving, and it's an hour drive home)

7 pm: Sushi (sort of -- rice, topped with veggies, topped with various raw fish, served with hot sauce -- mmmmm)

8 pm: non-fat mocha from Starbucks

Back