Law Farmer at Isolated British Farmhouse shoots two burglars at around 1am, killing one and seriously injuring the other. Murder + Attempted Murder Arrest

This is a mountain out of a molehill thread.

They arrested a man at a scene where he shot 2 people. That's not out of bounds when the police still have to conduct their formal investigation into what happened. And that doesn't change just because everyone is confident that the shot people were burglars (they were arrested for burglary so obviously the cops aren't papering over the relevant details). The interests of justice means that you arrest everyone and investigate.

This shouldn't be a thread until the farmer is actually charged with a crime. A simple arrest at the scene is irrelevant.

<PlusJuan>

Although even charges isn't the end of the world, its possible there's a technical issue like licensing or something, or the specific scenario with one of the guys being outside (although maybe he tried to escape).

There's certainly no hint of a CTard narrative here, nor any likely miscarriage of justice at this stage. Run of the mill stuff.

The arrest is just the ways and means to gain someone's account under caution and to allow seizure and examination of evidence (guns, forensics etc) UK police have to adhere to PACE 1986 rules of evidence to conduct a lawful investigation.

There's a lot of legislation that protects somebody who uses force for self defence

Came here to post this: arresting someone for murder during the investigation into a violent death is pretty much SOP for most Britsh forces. It also works in the accused's favour, as police must provide a solicitor for them.

There was a case some years ago when a member of a, "travelling family" broke into a home where an elderly man was caring for his bed-bound wife. During a stuggle, Mr Shit-bag was stabbed with a screwdriver and shuffled off this mortal coil.

The elderly chap was arrested on suspicion of murder, interviewed under caution and then released. The end result was the CPS decided not prosecute as it was clearly a case of an elderly man defending himself and his disabled wife against a much younger criminal with a record of violence.

Similar thing happened many years ago, Tony Martin his name was - gyppo burglars had been raiding his property several times, one night he caught them in the act and blew one of them away.

The arrest is just the ways and means to gain someone's account under caution and to allow seizure and examination of evidence (guns, forensics etc) UK police have to adhere to PACE 1986 rules of evidence to conduct a lawful investigation.

There's a lot of legislation that protects somebody who uses force for self defence
Fair enough . . . thanks for clarifying how things work over there.

Similar thing happened many years ago, Tony Martin his name was - gyppo burglars had been raiding his property several times, one night he caught them in the act and blew one of them away.

Martin had been boasting to his mates in the pub about how he would kill any Gypises who broke into his farm. He also shot one of the burglers in the back as they attempted to run away. So there was no way he wasn't getting done for Murder.

There's an old joke British coppers tell: a farmer phones 999 one night and asks for the police because a burgler has broken into his farmhouse. The operator tells him there are no officers available at that time.

"There's no hurry," the farmer cheerfully informs her, "I shot the bastard and he's lying in the field".

Fifteen minutes later a dozen coppers turn up; Armed Response, Scene of Crime, K9 Unit, CID etc. Plus an ambulance. The senior officer rushes up to the farmer and demands to know where the wounded burgler is,

Farmer, "Oh, he ran off nearly half an hour ago".

Copper, "I thought you said you had shot him?!"

Farmer, " I thought you said you had no one available?" ;)

Martin had been boasting to his mates in the pub about how he would kill any Gypises who broke into his farm. He also shot one of the burglers in the back as they attempted to run away. So there was no way he wasn't getting done for Murder.
They upgraded gypsies to “people” over there? Very progressive!

Bro a UK judge just let off a psycho karen who told a guy in a pub "I'm gonna glass you" then shattered her wine glass in his face and stabbed him in the cheek with the broken stem.

I don't know wtf is going on with their legal system.
I think you're referring to Joanne Dodd, who asked a man in a pub to guess her age (39), then flew into a rage when he said 43. As she was being aggressive, including a threat to glass, as you said, he went into the toilets, but when he came out she ran up and glassed him twice, leaving him needing stitches and now with a barely noticeable scar. She got 12 months, suspended for 12 months, 180 hours community service and had to pay £800 compensation. Of course if it had've been male on female the punisment would have been way more severe.
Came here to post this: arresting someone for murder during the investigation into a violent death is pretty much SOP for most Britsh forces. It also works in the accused's favour, as police must provide a solicitor for them.

There was a case some years ago when a member of a, "travelling family" broke into a home where an elderly man was caring for his bed-bound wife. During a stuggle, Mr Shit-bag was stabbed with a screwdriver and shuffled off this mortal coil.

The elderly chap was arrested on suspicion of murder, interviewed under caution and then released. The end result was the CPS decided not prosecute as it was clearly a case of an elderly man defending himself and his disabled wife against a much younger criminal with a record of violence.
There was a case near where I live maybe ten? years ago where two burglars forced their way into a pensioner's house and he stabbed them - one died and one only had slight injuries. I think he went to trial and was found not guilty. If not then it never went to trial, either way it was judged lawful.
Imagine you live in an isolated farmhouse which is repeatedly burgled by Gypsies at night, (farm buildings and house) and every time you call the Police and report it but it just keeps happening. It would wind anyone up. By the way did you know there's no offence of 'burglary' in Scotland - the closest is 'theft by housebreaking'.

/

Exodus 22:2-3 said:
KJV: If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. If the sun be risen upon him, there shall be blood shed for him; for he should make full restitution; if he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.

NIVUK: If a thief is caught breaking in at night and is struck a fatal blow, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed; but if it happens after sunrise, the defender is guilty of bloodshed. Anyone who steals must certainly make restitution, but if they have nothing, they must be sold to pay for their theft.

/

Update:

The dead alleged aggravated burglar is 19 year-old Marcus Smith

84365247-13375193-image-a-6_1714648652947.jpg

who played for local football team Chapel Town FC and went to the local school before that.

The injured man is also in his teens and the uninjured alleged burglar is in his 20s. The farmer is in his 50s.

_133259597_whaleybridgepolice.jpg.webp

The force said it was keeping an open mind about whether the incident was linked to a reported burglary at the property at about 3:30pm on Tuesday [they were called this time at 1:20am on Wednesday].

SEI_202293536-f8c3.jpg

Last edited:

This.

I'm petty sure it's standard operating procedure and if not, it ought to be.

And what if it were really a dispute between the men that turned into a shooting war, which the farmer blamed on a robbery? Leaving the guy be might give him time to dispose of evidence or who knows what? The fact that the people shot are not the property owner doesn't automatically mean they were there to rob him. It deserves to be investigated without assumptions as to the motive of any of them.

I think you're referring to Joanne Dodd, who asked a man in a pub to guess her age (39), then flew into a rage when he said 43. As she was being aggressive, including a threat to glass, as you said, he went into the toilets, but when he came out she ran up and glassed him twice, leaving him needing stitches and now with a barely noticeable scar. She got 12 months, suspended for 12 months, 180 hours community service and had to pay £800 compensation. Of course if it had've been male on female the punisment would have been way more severe.

There was a case near where I live maybe ten? years ago where two burglars forced their way into a pensioner's house and he stabbed them - one died and one only had slight injuries. I think he went to trial and was found not guilty. If not then it never went to trial, either way it was judged lawful.

Imagine you live in an isolated farmhouse which is repeatedly burgled by Gypsies at night, (farm buildings and house) and every time you call the Police and report it but it just keeps happening. It would wind anyone up. By the way did you know there's no offence of 'burglary' in Scotland - the closest is 'theft by housebreaking'.

/

/

Update:

who played for local football team Chapel Town FC and went to the local school before that.

The injured man is also in his teens and the uninjured alleged burglar is in his 20s. The farmer is in his 50s.

The force said it was keeping an open mind about whether the incident was linked to a reported burglary at the property at about 3:30pm on Tuesday [they were called this time at 1:20am on Wednesday].
They couldn’t find a pic where he looked like less of a twat apparently

/

/

Update:

SEI_202293536-f8c3.jpg

Yes, it's called Housebreaking up here. And cuts to Police Scotland mean that's it been effectively decriminalised, as there simply aren't the resources to investigate every break in. :mad:

Don't think he was that bothered and neither was I. I don't cry over spilled filth

Don't think he was that bothered and neither was I. I don't cry over spilled filth

Oh, I didn't shed any tears for them either. Just pointing out that if he'd kept his mouth shut and picked his targets more carefully, he probably would have gotten away with it.

You should be free to defend yourself. You should not be expected to make a perfect critical judgement call in the heat of the moment while possibly being outnumbered and outgunned on whether you can use force.

People say that as soon as the home invader turns their back to you, then they have given up and you cannot shoot them. Their life is now saved.

Is the same true if you turn your back to a home invader? Nope. The law has just given them the upper hand.

Update Two:

The farmer is Rob Lomas, 50.

84382019-13376495-Rob_Lomas_a_50_year_old_divorcee_is_a_former_dairy_farmer_who_wa-m-20_1714669334159.jpg

Locals today told MailOnline they were stunned by what happened, but said the area has a history of crime and the farm was particularly vulnerable because it was so isolated.

One woman said: "I was surprised when I found out Rob had been arrested. I wouldn't expect him be caught up in this sort of thing. He's not a violent type of person."

Another farmer told the Mail Mr Lomas had sold his dairy herd a few years ago and 'was looking forward to his retirement.'

"He must have been in fear of his life," the man said. "Why would he throw it all away to spend what is left of his life in prison? He must have been desperate to shoot someone. Rob was born and bred here. His dad lived there and his granddad lived there - but it was a much bigger farm then that has got smaller over the years. He sold his dairy herd off a while ago. I think he got a good price for them and was looking forward to retirement."

One neighbour said Mr Lomas was divorced but remained close to his children. "Rob was divorced a long time ago and has two or three children aged in their teens who live with their mother," he said. "He did have a girlfriend but I never saw her. I think it was a long distance romance. Nobody's perfect but he is just an average sort of person."

It is understood the farmer had moved back to the area recently.

It seems Mr Lomas is still in police custody, so the Police must have got the usual 24 hours they can hold someone extended to the maximum 96 (except for terrorism stuff, which is 14 days).

Six hours after detention was first authorised, the arrested person’s detention must be reviewed by a police officer of at least the rank of Inspector. Subsequent reviews are required no later than nine hours after the first review and then at intervals of no more than nine hours throughout the period of detention.

Assuming that reviews have been carried out and detention continues to be authorised, then before... 24 hours total time in custody, a police officer of at least the rank of Superintendent may authorise further detention... up to a maximum of 36 hours, still subject to reviews at intervals of no more than nine hours by an Inspector.

If the police still consider that detention is necessary after... the 36-hour point, a warrant of further detention must be sought from a magistrates’ court... If the court is satisfied by a police officer under oath that there are 'reasonable grounds for believing that the further detention of the person to whom the application relates is justified', then a warrant of further detention may be issued for a period of no more than 36 further hours.

Update Two:

The farmer is Rob Lomas, 50.

84382019-13376495-Rob_Lomas_a_50_year_old_divorcee_is_a_former_dairy_farmer_who_wa-m-20_1714669334159.jpg

Locals today told MailOnline they were stunned by what happened, but said the area has a history of crime and the farm was particularly vulnerable because it was so isolated.

One woman said: "I was surprised when I found out Rob had been arrested. I wouldn't expect him be caught up in this sort of thing. He's not a violent type of person."

Another farmer told the Mail Mr Lomas had sold his dairy herd a few years ago and 'was looking forward to his retirement.'

"He must have been in fear of his life," the man said. "Why would he throw it all away to spend what is left of his life in prison? He must have been desperate to shoot someone. Rob was born and bred here. His dad lived there and his granddad lived there - but it was a much bigger farm then that has got smaller over the years. He sold his dairy herd off a while ago. I think he got a good price for them and was looking forward to retirement."

One neighbour said Mr Lomas was divorced but remained close to his children. "Rob was divorced a long time ago and has two or three children aged in their teens who live with their mother," he said. "He did have a girlfriend but I never saw her. I think it was a long distance romance. Nobody's perfect but he is just an average sort of person."

It is understood the farmer had moved back to the area recently.

It seems Mr Lomas is still in police custody, so the Police must have got the usual 24 hours they can hold someone extended to the maximum 96 (except for terrorism stuff, which is 14 days).

Six hours after detention was first authorised, the arrested person’s detention must be reviewed by a police officer of at least the rank of Inspector. Subsequent reviews are required no later than nine hours after the first review and then at intervals of no more than nine hours throughout the period of detention.

Assuming that reviews have been carried out and detention continues to be authorised, then before... 24 hours total time in custody, a police officer of at least the rank of Superintendent may authorise further detention... up to a maximum of 36 hours, still subject to reviews at intervals of no more than nine hours by an Inspector.

If the police still consider that detention is necessary after... the 36-hour point, a warrant of further detention must be sought from a magistrates’ court... If the court is satisfied by a police officer under oath that there are 'reasonable grounds for believing that the further detention of the person to whom the application relates is justified', then a warrant of further detention may be issued for a period of no more than 36 further hours.

Why do they mention he's a divorcee in that article title??!

Back