Fact: Eddie Alvarez had one of the most lackluster title runs EVER, he was pretty much gifted

Holloway: 9-0 with 5 finishes. Only an interim title shot.
Ferguson: 9-0 with 6 finishes. Title shot revoked.

Let's analyse his title "run"

Loss 25–4 Donald Cerrone Decision (unanimous)
Win 26–4 Gilbert Melendez Decision (split)
Win 27–4 Anthony Pettis Decision (split)

2-1 with two split decisions

Now compare to the last title shots:

HW - Overeem 4-0 with 3 finishes
LHW - Rumble 3-0 with 3 finishes(although he hasn't fought yet)
MW - Dan Henderson 2-1 with 2 finishes, it is still better than Eddie's, even though he was clearly gifted a shot
WW - Wonderboy 7-0 with 4 finishes
FW- Conor 7-0 with 6 finishes
BW - Cody Garbrandt 5-0 with 5 finishes

Even Condit had a better run when he got a title shot against Robbie( 2-1 with two finishes, 1 loss via injury)

So it is safe to conclude that Eddie "Chinny" Alvarez was just LUCKY, that Khabib, Ferguson and other top contenders couldn't fight.
Although he did beat RDA, he was losing the fight until he landed a lucky punch, this could happen with any contender. Not surprising, Chinny Alvarez was the first person not to defend the LW belt and lost in embarrassing fashion

moron.jpg

MW - Dan Henderson 2-1 with 2 finishes, it is still better than Eddie's, even though he was clearly gifted a shot

Even Condit had a better run when he got a title shot against Robbie( 2-1 with two finishes, 1 loss via injury)

So it is safe to conclude that Eddie "Chinny" Alvarez was just LUCKY, that Khabib, Ferguson and other top contenders couldn't fight.
Although he did beat RDA, he was losing the fight until he landed a lucky punch, this could happen with any contender. Not surprising, Chinny Alvarez was the first person not to defend the LW belt and lost in embarrassing fashion

Alvarez starched RDA so clearly he was ready for that fight. Had he not, your argument would be stronger.

its pretty important to note that all 3 of his opponents were elite top contenders tbh.

You cant compare giblert, pettis, and cowboy to a lot of conors early oppoents, cody's ,wonderboysk, etc

Pettis & Gilbert were ranked high at the time but it was soon clear that neither was top 10 material anymore. So split decisioning guys who despite their rankings weren't really top fighters anymore isn't really impressive.

Well definitely some things had to happen for Eddie to get to the title. Lucky I think is too strong a word though, his overall status as a fighter should be considered as well imo, and he has a long history pre-ufc. His 3 prior to the Cerrone loss were wins over Michael Chandler, Patricky Freire, and Shinya Aoki, all quality wins two more so than the other. Its not like he hadn't already earned his stripes in mma at that point. But maybe you only acknowledge ufc, whatever, the shits over anyway and he got ko'd, why bash him now?

Nah, he came in with a big rep. Underground king. Ufc gave him a baptism of fire with his first 3 fights and he rose through it.

Not even close to the most undeserved titleshot

Yep, that title belongs to Michael Bisping or even though I like(d) him Brock Lesnar

I like Eddie but in hindsight that counter left is way too precise for him, should have seen that one coming. I thought if he couldn't or wouldn't take him down he at least would be competitive standing.

Putting the word "fact" at the beginning of something doesn't make it a fact anymore than owning a tapout shirt makes you a fighter..

As an Eddie fan...I can't disagree. But he was the guy who was available and when it really mattered (against RDA), he finished the fight in the 1st round. I'm not too mad at that, but his run was admittedly pretty shit.

Only an idiot only looks at how many people the contender beat instead of the quality of those opponents.

And only an idiot looks at the result of the fight without putting it into context. An argument could easily be made for him losing the pettis and melendez fights, and in fact 2 judges thought so at the very least.

And only an idiot looks at the result of the fight without putting it into context. An argument could easily be made for him losing the pettis and melendez fights, and in fact 2 judges thought so at the very least.
And 4 judges thought he won.

It blows my mind how people act like Eddie Alvarez sucks. For how great most think Conor is, they shouldn't think someone is such a can after he beats them if he's the "McGoat" as some like to say.

Alvarez beat Pettis, and arguably Melendez and Cerrone. Sometimes fights go to decisions and fans can't understand how game plans or strategies get changed by emotion, momentum, or by losing. Boring fights suck but not all decision fights are boring obviously ( Hendo/Shogun1 & Hunto/Bigfoot 1). Let's not forget Eddie stiffed dos Anjos, one of the baddest dudes at 155 today.

Eddie is easily top 5 right now at 155.

Alvarez vs Barboza next please.

Alvarez starched RDA so clearly he was ready for that fight. Had he not, your argument would be stronger.

I don't like this mindset. Any trained fighter can beat another trained fighter near their same weight on any night. You stick any undeserving fighter in there and they COULD possibly win. Which is exactly why top fighters turn down fights vs. skilled, but unknown opponents.

The point is to EARN your chance. It's not whether or not they're "ready."

You can't justify an unwarranted title shot just because the guy ended up winning. The shot was still undeserving, they just capitalized on it.

correct all his fights sucked except his ko of dos anjos i would like to see him fight will brooks next

Fact
noun
1. What you call your opinion when you think you are right, but want to be MORE right.

I don't like this mindset. Any trained fighter can beat another trained fighter near their same weight on any night. You stick any undeserving fighter in there and they COULD possibly win. Which is exactly why top fighters turn down fights vs. skilled, but unknown opponents.

The point is to EARN your chance. It's not whether or not they're "ready."

You can't justify an unwarranted title shot just because the guy ended up winning. The shot was still undeserving, they just capitalized on it.
He was on a two winning streak but those two wins were against former champions. Add on top of that the fact that he was a champion on his previous organization.
I'd say he earned the title shot.

Yep, that title belongs to Michael Bisping or even though I like(d) him Brock Lesnar
Not sure how you can call Bisping shot undeserved. He's been a solid warrior on the roster since forever and he stepped in on short notice like a boss.

He was on a two winning streak but those two wins were against former champions. Add on top of that the fact that he was a champion on his previous organization.
I'd say he earned the title shot.

On paper. It wasn't the worst title shot ever, but if you watched his three fights you wouldn't come out saying "Damn, he deserves a title shot."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back