Facing the center line:

Stance doesn't matter. This principal is purely about the ability to check the opponent. In order to do so, you must be facing them and presenting a viable threat.

Stance doesn't matter. This principal is purely about the ability to check the opponent. In order to do so, you must be facing them and presenting a viable threat.

Thanks, would I be right in saying that Vinny got sparked here due to not facing the centre line? (even if it was just for a split second before the right hand)

1.gif

This fight just happened a couple minutes ago btw

The opponent moved off-center to hit him, so yes. When you lose track of your opponent even for just a second, that kind of result can happen.

Good stuff tried it in sparring and everyone was hesitating with attack when only i faced their centerline properly and wouldn't give them an ankle. Easier to establish attacks as well.
As soon as I forget about this stuff or didn't pay attention anymore towards the end of the sparring session - I started to get clean hit much more.

This is a great thread. After reading all the pages I still have one question, is the centerline essentially just in between your opponents feet? Or do you really need to be threatening directly his middle.

Directly his middle, or its not the center.

Back