EYEPOKING IN FIGHTS........iTS GOTTA STOP

OlderMan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
21731121_10155553532973346_763630797213864068_n.jpg

Coach John Kavanagh shared Paradigm Sports Management's post.
21 hrs ·
The real point is this- there was no time to signal to the referee between the final eye poke and the KO blow. It was a 'fight ending foul'. What the UFC, athletic commissions and MMA officials have to ask themselves is is eye gouging legal? I constantly see fighters doing it or with fingers outstretched and I don't remember ever seen even once a fighter be penalised.
What are they waiting for, permanent loss of sight?

Coach John Kavanagh shared Paradigm Sports Management's post.
21 hrs ·
The real point is this- there was no time to signal to the referee between the final eye poke and the KO blow. It was a 'fight ending foul'. What the UFC, athletic commissions and MMA officials have to ask themselves is is eye gouging legal? I constantly see fighters doing it or with fingers outstretched and I don't remember ever seen even once a fighter be penalised.
What are they waiting for, permanent loss of sight?

FACT IS THE UFC ENCOURAGES CHEATING VIA EYEPOKES AS NO ONE HAS EVER BEEN DQ'd .. EYEPOKES CHANGE THE COURSE OF A FIGHT DRASTICALLY. THE CHEATER WINS AND GETS PAID MORE MONEY AND DOES NOT GET PUNISHED.. This is Wrong......Wrong......Wrong. The UFC doing nothing is Shameful. FUK THE UFC

You need to tweet this @ Gus, statistically the most frequent eye poker in UFC history, even more than Jones.

Really?!..dayuum.. he learned from the best cheater I guess.........FukGus........ I hope someone snaps his Knee...

Maybe you know. Has Gus changed the flow of the fight by eyepoking? Seems Glover Texeria ?sp. was winning before an Eyepoke.. Yes?? Who else?

Ponzinibbio, Jon Jones, Travis Browne......lots more that I can't think of right now

Gus eye poked just about everybody he ever fought. His eye pokes against Glover, Manuwa stick out in my mind. But statistically he has 5 or 6 eye pokes, which is more than anyone in UFC history.

?

Jones had eyepokes against Rampage, Glover, Cormier, Gustafsson and Rashad, just from what I remember... That's 5 already.

Maybe you've meant that Gus had pokes in 5 or 6 fights, only then it makes sense.

Anyway, I've never understood the 'Gus does it too' comments... Who cares, two cheats do not make cheating any better.

Jones still has by far most time in Octagon spent with his fingers extended into full 84 inches, like some nasty fork. And he had admitted doing it very much for purpose. That's awful.

Ponzinibbio, Jon Jones, Travis Browne......lots more that I can't think of right now

Gus eye poked just about everybody he ever fought. His eye pokes against Glover, Manuwa stick out in my mind. But statistically he has 5 or 6 eye pokes, which is more than anyone in UFC history.

Thanks...We ,Fans, need to keep this On the ForeFront of Peoples Awareness to Make the UFC stop this by Punishing CHEATERS Severely... I have had laser surgery from boxing. 16 oz gloves!!!.. 2 tears in one eye and 1 in the other. My vision is Not right but works. Direct Eyepokes>>OMGawd. Too dangerous to Tolerate In My Opinion. Thanks again for reply

We need refs who have the balls to deduct points.

There should never be more than one warning.

there does need to be new rules enforcing them.
i remember back when michael bisping beat alan belcher by eye poke and was like WTF. will always remember that fight because it was such a shit decision.

and everytime these fighters try to overturn these losts they get denied.
which is stupid and unfair.

From what ive seen commiting fouls gets you big points from judges

You need to tweet this @ Gus, statistically the most frequent eye poker in UFC history, even more than Jones.

lol bullshit.

prove it, give us the fights where gus poked and i'll give you jones'.

let's see if you can walk the walk

well now that jones is out the number of pokes will be divided by 10

those eyepokes in the Gunnar fight were definitely fight winning.

The only way to enforce this is the closed hand rule while not in clinch like boxing. This one rule would completely eradicate eye pokes.

As of now fighters with a reach advantage can even maximize that with stretched out fingers. Longer reach, threat of eye poke if the other one enters your reach.

Every fighter who still used them would do so to intentionally damage the opponent with a foul and could get penalized hard.

Actions to take against pokes:
1) better gloves
2) closed hand rule
3) harsh penalties if an eye poke happens.

Honestly this would be the first time I would write to Dana on twitter but I dont have an account and never will.

They should take points even for 100% accidental eyepokes.If you touch the ball with your hand in football you get a foul no matter your intentions,but if it is accidental you don't get a yellow card.So if you do it accidentally you lose a point and ofcourse if it is intentional you get diqualified immediatly!

I agree with you TS.

But this man would never had won 16 world titles without the odd eye-poke.

jEwRKxP.gif

Last edited:
The only way to enforce this is the closed hand rule while not in clinch like boxing. This one rule would completely eradicate eye pokes.

As of now fighters with a reach advantage can even maximize that with stretched out fingers. Longer reach, threat of eye poke if the other one enters your reach.

Every fighter who still used them would do so to intentionally damage the opponent with a foul and could get penalized hard.

Actions to take against pokes:
1) better gloves
2) closed hand rule
3) harsh penalties if an eye poke happens.

Honestly this would be the first time I would write to Dana on twitter but I dont have an account and never will.
ohhh i don't know...Dana might be closer than we think...

100% I think it should be everyone gets a break one time per fight - after 1 poke anything after that is a point. And also Gunnar should have tried to do something for the ref to notice anything cause he got poked like 4 times in 2 minutes that was the most horrendous display of eye poking I've ever seen he was fukt from the first poke he should have yelled out and grabbed his eye or something

This problem would be solved already if the UFC wasn't too stubborn and insecure to admit that their gloves absolutely suck and they need to make new ones.
I mean people have complained about the gloves for a decade and they haven't done anything about it.

Back