Expectations vs Reality

KenstaBoy

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Old, but still a great scene. That gut punch at the end though. This film was extremely well-put together overall. Does this particular scene resonate with anyone?

Thats the movid where Bradley Cooper takes it up the ass right?

Old, but still a great scene. That gut punch at the end though. This film was extremely well-put together overall. Does this particular scene resonate with anyone?

Fun scene, well done.

It resonates with me because it reminds me of the depth of raw emotion loneliness can evoke, despair and anguish and desperation, all things become meaningless and in it's own way its liberating. As life becomes void of meaning it also becomes void of consequence. I miss those nights alone in the dark, myself, cigarettes and alcohol. I am happy now, I am comfortable but I am not free.

love this movie, i own it. love that scene. have been in that dudes shoes too many times (hopeless romantic brah here).

We've all been there at some point. That's why you eventually learn to curb your expectations a bit so life becomes easier. You can still enjoy the good moments while not being so let down when the bad ones happen.

Used to do this a lot in high school. I was shy and I'd get a crush on a girl and build up this idea of what she was like in my head. Then when I'd talk to her some time down the line I'd be so let down at how repulsive she seemed when compared to what I had imagined she would be like. There were also the situations where you would be friends with a girl and start liking her. When you'd build up the guts to tell her how you feel, you'd find out that she had been banging your friend for months and you had no idea. Gut punch. There's no benefit to being shy. It's best to come out of your shell and take chances because you will miss out if you don't make it happen yourself.

I think it highlight the vulnerability of human emotion when one is in love, and something that almost everyone goes through in their quest to find the one.

I came across this just a few days ago and I thought it's a great response.

Fun scene, well done.

It resonates with me because it reminds me of the depth of raw emotion loneliness can evoke, despair and anguish and desperation, all things become meaningless and in it's own way its liberating. As life becomes void of meaning it also becomes void of consequence. I miss those nights alone in the dark, myself, cigarettes and alcohol. I am happy now, I am comfortable but I am not free.
Is happiness overrated? Or are you "happy" based on what society says happiness is on paper?

Very much so, on a number of levels.

First girl I ever had a serious relationship with was absolutely obsessed with that film and forced me to watch it.

But recently I met up with an ex, different girl, I hadn't seen in years after having my most recent relationship end. Was a girl I was madly in love with and hadn't seen in over 4 years (I made a whole gay thread on this lol) but I told myself it didn't matter nothing was gonna come out it. We met up spent 6 or 7 hours getting dinner and drinks and just having a great time. Next few days we text and she's saying how she had such a great time and wants to see me more, I start going ohhhh fuck could this shit really happen?

Long story short, she tells me she has a bf and, even though I knew nothing was gonna happen, for about 20 minutes I was absolutely deflated.

Plus I can 100% relate to the nervous drinking and dramatic letdown followed by quickly leaving the party lol.

Very much so, on a number of levels.

First girl I ever had a serious relationship with was absolutely obsessed with that film and forced me to watch it.

But recently I met up with an ex, different girl, I hadn't seen in years after having my most recent relationship end. Was a girl I was madly in love with and hadn't seen in over 4 years (I made a whole gay thread on this lol) but I told myself it didn't matter nothing was gonna come out it. We met up spent 6 or 7 hours getting dinner and drinks and just having a great time. Next few days we text and she's saying how she had such a great time and wants to see me more, I start going ohhhh fuck could this shit really happen?

Long story short, she tells me she has a bf and, even though I knew nothing was gonna happen, for about 20 minutes I was absolutely deflated.

Plus I can 100% relate to the nervous drinking and dramatic letdown followed by quickly leaving the party lol.
Thanks for sharing, dude. It's crazy. 6 to 7 hours of feeling connected to someone you were madly in love with only to not have it go your way yet again is a really fucked up feeling.

Thanks for sharing, dude. It's crazy. 6 to 7 hours of feeling connected to someone you were madly in love with only to not have it go your way yet again is a really fucked up feeling.
Ohh it was awful lol whole ordeal was over the course of like 2 weeks but I felt like it'd been 6 months. After that I went into "ohh fuck I gotta get back with my ex" panic mode, but I got through that too. Now I have a sneaking suspicion that the bartender at my regular place that I recently befriend has a thing for me (he's a male). Sigh, life is interesting lol.

Is happiness overrated? Or are you "happy" based on what society says happiness is on paper?

Happiness is not what I strive for, it is a useful word so in this context. I wish for a lack of negativie, not necessarily an overabundance of positive. Acceptance and appreciation of all things.

Back