Exactly 10 years ago, Dream 1 happened

Interesting times where the Pride 2.0 dream (scuse the pun) actually still seemed feasible.

Sengoku was great too.

I have very fond memories of the NYE event with Dream vs. Sengoku. I think that was the MMA event that I enjoyed watching the most. Not only were there good fights, but the score being even heading into the final was fantastic.

I remember Direct TV airing fights on from Japan after 1 in the morning. Saw a lot of freebies can’t complain

Pride was so great that it overshadows Hero's, Sengoku and Dream. If any of those last three existed today they would be the 3rd or 4th best promotion.

Everyone thought he was a new Mirko because of devastating kicking game.
No one realized that Mirko was much much more.

Nick Diaz stopped the hype, Cyborg exposed him completely.
But at least he created a name for himself...
The Whitemare should have been fighting at LW anyways.

The Whitemare should have been fighting at LW anyways.

His frame fit for LW, but his muscles....he should've got rid of too much muscles to fit in.
Like Shogun, that definitely fits MW but his legs beg to differ....

DREAM was great while it lasted. That was a really interesting time in MMA and the landscape was so much different. K-1 was amazing with K-1 max. DREAM and Sengoku were putting on great fights. Strikeforce was coming up and there was a lot of variety in combat sports. I miss these days.

DREAM was great while it lasted. That was a really interesting time in MMA and the landscape was so much different. K-1 was amazing with K-1 max. DREAM and Sengoku were putting on great fights. Strikeforce was coming up and there was a lot of variety in combat sports. I miss these days.

That's because there was a REAL competition back then.
Even though UFC was much stronger, other orgs really worked on competing with it.

Nowadays there is UFC and there are other orgs, each of them holding its niche and correlates with UFC with one way or another.
Stalemate

This thread is making me sad. Come on people, support Rizin! I actually bought the PPV after the fact this last one (I have NEVER done that before).

Ah, HDNet used to air those(DREAM and WVR) LIVE.

Great time to be an MMA fan.

Loved the DREAM vs Sengoku Dynamite

Loved the DREAM vs Sengoku Dynamite
That event was epic. Best event in Japan since pride, it's hard to think of an event with so many memorable moments and fights:
  • Masato vs Souwer 3
  • Minowaman KTFO Sokodjou after boring everyone to sleep for 10 minutes, and winning the superhluk GP tournament.
  • The whole Dream vs Sengoku series which was 3-0, then back to 3-3 and then dream won 4-3 on the last fight: Aoki breaking Hirotas arm (and then flipping off everyone)
  • Ishii losing his debut (lol) against old man Hidehiko Yoshida
  • Peak ubereem KTFO Fujita into a coma
  • Manhoef KO of Misaki
  • Mousasi steamrolling Gary Goodridge (sad)
  • Gonos entrance and fight with Mach Sakurai
  • Omigawa vs Takaya
  • KID vs Kanehara
  • Koshien teenager tournament with current K1 champ Noori winning (16 at the time).

HDNet Fights was fucking awesome!
I started to believe Mark Cuban would be the next Dana White.

And some fucking awesome posters as well
DREAM-1-MMA.jpg

d10poster.png

dream-5-poster.jpg

dream-3-promo-poster.jpg

Though I was always turned off by Jacare licking semen off the floor
Dream-4-MMA.jpg

I remember struggling to download this at the time, or at least burning it on to a disc to watch, the events were hella long and never broken into prelims and main card. Used to end up with a really shitty copy on dvd to watch for 6 hours or so

Dream was awesome to me, loved it

I attended a bunch of these.

Things I remember most were Dream 4 in Yokohama, where I thought Melvin had killed Saku.

Dream 5 HLUK tourney, Hunt vs. Overeem 1, Joe Warren beating up Kid.

Dream 6 Jacare Mousasi final and that insane finish, Fedor in attendance for Reem beating up Mirko.

I thought their best opening was for D4. Great memories.

And exactly one year ago the Worldwide Forum was flooded by how Dream was going to be Pride 2.0 and take over the UFC in a matter of a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back