Ever done a fire/smoke damage insurance claim?

Grassshoppa

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Had a mandatory evacuation due to the fires in So.Cal. Anyone ever do a fire/smoke damage claim with their homeowner's insurance company?

The fire was at the doorsteps of my property luckily no damage was done. But I went over the process with my insurance rep. Basically they will come down and inspect the damage you will have to pay a dectubile which should not be that much after they inspect it you should get a payment for your damages. Really depends on your insurance and what you had covered.

Did you sustain actual fire damage? Or just smoke damage?

I had the flu and couldn't sleep. So I got really drunk. Before bed I put a massive log on the dying coals and it didn't catch. It smoldered and my cold air pushed the smoke into the house. The alarm took forever to sound because the smoke was cold and came out at the floor from the stove. The whole main part of the house was filled with thick smoke. Like, I could see 4 feet and it was to the ceiling. I had to get my flat shovel and throw the log out of the house. Then I opened the doors and turned the whole house fan on.

It was awful. The next day the house smelled so bad I freaked out. However, I just made a weak vinegar solution spray and sprayed and wiped down every inch of wall and ceiling. I wiped down all the furniture and everything. I washed all the window treatments and carpets and just kept cleaning. After a week the smell was becoming feint. After two weeks the smell was totally gone and the house was really, really clean.

Good luck.

Yeah my house burned down in 2010.

It took 2 years for the insurance company to come up with a settlement and rebuild it. We got the house rebuilt and 70k for furniture, appliances, and clothes. Which is not much.

my old apartment had water and fire/smoke damage bc the bldg next door caught fire
pain in the ass, but I have to give props to Liberty Mutual, as they did as good of a job as you could do in terms of time and paying us $$

they started out with lowball payouts, but once we had our contractors price everything out and sent the documentation, Liberty Mutual had zero problems sending us more $$
the representatives were always in touch with me and ready to answer my questions

ive heard terrible stories about other insurance companies treating the victims like criminals that have to "prove themselves" to the insurance company

Back