Etiquette when you outweigh your rolling partner?

Hiero18

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What exactly is the proper way to roll when you significantly outweigh a partner at the same skill level as you? If I'm rolling against a smaller upper belt, I obviously don't worry about it, because they'll smash me anyway. But when I'm rolling with another white belt who I outweigh by 40 or 50 lbs, it seems like a waste of training time to just try to lay on top of them or crush them with shoulder pressure, so I always end up trying to be lighter on top. But I'm not sure if this is the best thing to do either?

Any suggestion would be appreciated; I just don't want to be a dick to my training partners. I know I get frustrated when I'm rolling with a giant white belt who just lays on me for the entire round.

I think one good suggestion would be what Keenan said in a video not so long ago. When you totally outclass somebody, let them put their best guard/guad pass on and work on defend that so you can both achieve something in the end of the day.

Or you could just train your guard or whatever you think you need to improve... I think you can still train hard this way, avoiding to spend 5 minutes americanaing and keeping side control on some clueless guy once you see you can do it effortlessy...

Yeah smash that manlet. Remember he would smash you without mercy if he could and probably will when he gets better

You can try to work your guard with people smaller than you.

I go where I am weakest and work on that. It seems like a good opportunity to work on your weak points when you won't be getting smashed, and my partner usually appreciates it.

Yeah, I agree with the above. Usually the larger the person, the weaker the bottom game. I usually pull bottom side mount and then fight up from there. Think of it as buying the right to threaten a sub.

You can try to work your guard with people smaller than you.

They always pull guard themselves. If you pull guard too they go 50/50.

What exactly is the proper way to roll when you significantly outweigh a partner at the same skill level as you?

Dominate him and send him home crying.

#presh

all kidding aside, pull a guard and work to sweep

Ever see a post by a manlet asking if maybe he shouldn't use his speed when rolling with bigger guys? I didn't think so.

If he's using his speed, I'm using my weight.

Heavier partner I play bottom and go for sweeps. Lighter, I play bottom and go for subs.

When your training partner has slower reflexes than you, do you pause before you react?
When your training partner is less flexible, do you not use your flexibility?
What if he has asthma, do you shove kleenexes up your nose?

Technique, technique, technique!

Flow, flow, flow!

Relax, relax, relax!

From a 217lb...Cough, cough, cause I can't do serious cardio till after surgery...

Just a great opportunity to train minimalist energy output plus working on putting your technique under a microscope so when you get to your weight class you have superior skill.

Ever see a post by a manlet asking if maybe he shouldn't use his speed when rolling with bigger guys? I didn't think so.

lol i like this answer.

#presh

all kidding aside, pull a guard and work to sweep

Pretty much what I do. I always make it so that I earn top position. Although there are times when you have to bring that presh.

We had our no gi open mat yesterday and one of the guys who left our gym a few years ago popped in which was a surprise. He's like 135 lbs but strong and technical. Problem is when he goes against bigger guys he is a bit of a spaz and you'll constantly catch knees\elbows etc. He basically has no regard for your comfort which is fine. That's the game.

I know he's been at another gym but out of the game for a few months so I was going to go light. He ends up getting an armbar from mount, cranks it hard as shit, doesn't hear me tap and pulls it harder to which I yell tap loud enough for him to hear.

He's now breathing like he just ran a marathon so we went again and it was smash time. Sometimes proper order needs to be restored.

Work what I'm bad at unless it's pre-tourney time where I'll do what I have to in order to sharpen my sword.

The two are not directly comparable. Weight difference is correlated with increased injury risk for the lighter grappler. I use my weight and size all the time, but there is a line between use and abuse. No need to cross that line unless you go against someone who wants to compete in the openweight division or other special circumstances.

Back