ESPN mass layoffs

ProBoxingInsidr

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks like ESPN has laid off 300 or so people. However, it seems like they are still clueless as to why people are turning away in droves. I am a prime example of someone who is a big sports fan and has abandoned the network in recent years.

Years ago when Chris Berman, Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick, etc. came on the scene, their personalities were refreshing and got people excited about the product. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, they started to think their on air personalities were the real draws and not the sports themselves.

so now we get the abomination that is michael smith and jamele hill who think they are the entire product. we get a stale chris berman who has sucked for decades. we get dan lebatard who doesnt realize less is more when it comes to his dad and his "funny accent." yet they all survive the cuts. instead people like ed werder, len elmore and mostly other anonymous people get let go

this channel is horrible and i only watch it for live sports now

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/sports/espn-layoffs.html

ESPN sucks because every time I turn it on there is never highlights. Its just people who I couldn't care less about yelling at each other. There is a reason why I turned the channel to ESPN and not The View. Any cuts that don't contain the people on First Take are the wrong cuts.

More sports, less bitching.

They would never fire that racist POS Stephen A Shit because he would sue sue sue and play the race card. Don't understand the Werder firing at all.

Lol at laying off jayson stark.

Who cares, they have LZ Granderson now and that dude is the bomb!

They won't ever change either because they have an agenda that they're pushing. It's not longer about sports anymore. It's about trying to get you to think the way they do.

They won't ever change either because they have an agenda that they're pushing. It's not longer about sports anymore. It's about trying to get you to think the way they do.

I know, it isn't really so much about sports anymore. Where are people going to turn for their stories about children with cancer now? And where are people going to get preached to about racism, gay rights and transgenderism without ESPN?

Fuck ESPN. It was amazing when it was about sports, but now like everyone has said it is just a bunch of assholes screaming at each other over liberal agenda issues.

When I have a half hour to kill before work do I want to know about yesterday's sports landscape and scores and highlights? Or do I want to listen to a clueless idiot babble about domestic violence? Hmmmm....

The only thing besides live sports broadcasting I kinda watch is Around the Horn. Sadly, I tried to watch it a few weeks ago and the topic was the lack of female coaches in basketball on college campuses. :oops::rolleyes: A well known male coach said he thought the problem was not enough women were interested in coaching. He said he had problems finding women who wanted coaching roles. Of course this set off a firestorm of anger. The lesbian reporter on ATH was upset over the comments and shared a quote from a lesbian basketball player who said something to the effect that the coach's opinion was shit because he was a, "cis-gendered, white male" and he couldn't possibly understand a woman's issue.

So, this is where we are. Idiot panelists on ATH shame coaches who have three decades of experience and know the situation inside and out simply because of white skin and a penis.

So I officially tapped out forever. Only live sports now.

Good.

Maybe it'll smarten them up to the fact that when people tune into ESPN, they do it for sports, not to have political agendas thrust upon them.

Last edited:
If I want to find out what happened in a game, I don't have to wait for ESPN to get around to it. It was always maddening to watch the ticker just about to show what I wanted to see only to have them go to commercial. Apparently the ticker runs during commercial so I have to wait for the game I want to come around again. Now there are any number of websites I can go to and get information instantly. ESPN is likely to go entirely online at some point.

Sports networks take themselves seriously with hosts in suits.

They would never fire that racist POS Stephen A Shit because he would sue sue sue and play the race card. Don't understand the Werder firing at all.
Everyone's racist now. Might as well be. That's how easily that accusation is thrown around nowadays. Doesn't matter which side of the political spectrum you're on either.

Looks like ESPN has laid off 300 or so people. However, it seems like they are still clueless as to why people are turning away in droves. I am a prime example of someone who is a big sports fan and has abandoned the network in recent years.

Years ago when Chris Berman, Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick, etc. came on the scene, their personalities were refreshing and got people excited about the product. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, they started to think their on air personalities were the real draws and not the sports themselves.

so now we get the abomination that is michael smith and jamele hill who think they are the entire product. we get a stale chris berman who has sucked for decades. we get dan lebatard who doesnt realize less is more when it comes to his dad and his "funny accent." yet they all survive the cuts. instead people like ed werder, len elmore and mostly other anonymous people get let go

this channel is horrible and i only watch it for live sports now

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/sports/espn-layoffs.html
ESPN has so much competition now (e.g., NFL Network, FS1, CBS Sports, NBC sports, etc.) when they use to be the only game in town.

PTI

Mike & Mike

Everything else on that network can burn in hell.

Who cares about a bunch of can sports writers getting smirched?

I dont like Basketball or baseball. I only watch ESPN when football or college football is on. For Soccer, and hockey, I get BEin, Foxsports, and NHL network.

Their insistence with interjecting their far left political stance into every sports story didn't help.

She a real bisnatch. She made very derogatory remarks towards a mother of three for working blue collar. She said she has brains because she went to college and went to school of journalism.

Add Marc Stein to the list.

Back