Media Erin Blancfield: "Valentina's ground game is very, very basic"

Geniusss

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Erin Blanchfield now considers herself the de facto No. 1 contender in the women’s flyweight division, and she’s anxiously awaiting the next title fight between Valentina Shevchenko and Alexa Grasso at UFC 285.

Collage-Maker-22-Dec-2022-04.05-PM-1024x576.jpg.optimal.jpg

Perhaps the most interesting part about her analysis is Shevchenko’s perceived weakness on the ground might play directly into what Blanchfield does best.

“Valentina, I don’t think it’s any secret her striking is very good,” Blanchfield explained. “Her Muay Thai is very crisp. She even has some decent body lock takedowns. But I think on the actual floor, her jiu-jitsu, it’s not bad. It’s just very, very basic."

“I don’t think she has many submissions. I don’t think she can get out of certain positions very well, like what we saw against Taila. I kind of think that’s where her game is the most basic and probably could use some improvement."

“I know I could fight with Valentina anywhere, but against anybody in the flyweight division, I know that my jiu-jitsu is better,” Blanchfield said. “I can finish anybody.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mm...ling-as-very-very-basic-could-use-improvement

Last edited:
What do you guys think?
As a fun fact Valentina has taken every single one of her opponents down (we are talking about girls like Santos, Peña, Nunes, Holm, etc)

And most of her finishes have been on the ground (Andrade, Peña, Chookagian, etc)

I can see what she means.

She has struggled to get out of certain positions. Nunes, Maia, and Santos have been able to control for entire rounds

Like while her grappling is functional in MMA, I doubt that she makes it to podium at any pure BJJ or wrestling competitions

I think fighters like Taila Santos, Tracy Cortez, Tatiana Suarez, Erin Blanchfield would all beat her on the ground

But good luck getting her to the ground

Last edited:
Valentina can make the same claim about Blanchfield's striking. I don't believe Blanchfield can strike with Valentina in terms of landing shots on her. If that happens then Valentina has aged out as a fighter.

Valentina can make the same claim about Blanchfield's striking. I don't believe Blanchfield can strike with Valentina in terms of landing shots on her. If that happens then Valentina has aged out as a fighter.
She's 35, maybe already out of her prime. This Grasso fight will tell us a lot

She's 35, maybe already out of her prime. This Grasso fight will tell us a lot
Definitely. It is safe to say that Valentina doesn't give out freebies in terms of getting hit. If she gets hit a lot against Grasso then she is getting old. Her sister has already slowly transitioned out of the sport.

Personally I never thought Grasso would be a title contender. She isn't bad but she isn't really exceptional anywhere outside of her boxing. She might be a little underrated there but it is still not exceptional.

Plenty of world champions have had basic BJJ/ground games.

Reactions: HHJ
Let's see what happens with Valentina next week. I like this girl I think she should take her time and not rush things.

All the credit to Erin for beating Jessica, but Erin looked like she was striking in slow motion compared to Jessica, and Valentina is even faster than that. Valentina is going to eat her up on the feet - Erin isn’t doing to Valentina what she did did Jessica, especially after eating a hundred or so strikes in the first 2 rounds.

All the credit to Erin for beating Jessica, but Erin looked like she was striking in slow motion compared to Jessica, and Valentina is even faster than that. Valentina is going to eat her up on the feet - Erin isn’t doing to Valentina what she did did Jessica, especially after eating a hundred or so strikes in the first 2 rounds.

A hundred strikes in 2 rounds?

Valentina isn't exactly known for high output -- She averages 15 strikes per round. I would love to see her pick up her output though.

Last edited:
Back