English to Spanish speakers GTFIH!

MaxMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I need some direction from any members that learned to speak Spanish from English, I'll take any input from Spanish speakers but I'm mainly interested in hearing from people whose native tounge is English and then learned Spanish.

I need direction or some kind of language learning plan. Been studying Spanish for 2 years. Usually only 10-15 minutes daily but because of my relations and where I live I have the opportunity to use Spanish on a daily basis, which I do when I can. I've learned several thousand words and I can understand basic conversation and even more in depth convos by piecing together words.

I just feel like my studying time is too random. I've been through over 2000 homemade flashcards for single words, i read kids books in spanish, listen to spanish music, text and hold VERY basic conversation with friends and family. Right now my study is divided between the mosalingua app and the memrise app.

I just can't seem to get a grasp on piecing together sentences of my own. My verb co jugation pretty much blows but I am vaguely familiar, should I focus on that for a while?

There's just so much to Spanish and I feel like it would suck to only progress this far after learning so much. My goal is to speak fluently in everyday situations and be able to hold more in depth conversation.

Any help from my sherbros would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried watching movies en espanol? that helps a lot.
I watched a shitload of mexican movies when I was learning spanish, spanish movies were boring the hell out of me, mexican cinema is dope.

If you add El in front of an english word, and O at the end, you are basically speaking El Spanisho. If the word sounds girly give it the La A treatment.

Que puta frio

1l33mq.jpg

Watch Telemundo. You can learn a lot of conversational phrases by watching TV. Or that's what they say. I took 5 years of Spanish and I pretty much retained nothing.

Have you tried watching movies en espanol? that helps a lot.
I watched a shitload of mexican movies when I was learning spanish, spanish movies were boring the hell out of me, mexican cinema is dope.
Watch Telemundo. You can learn a lot of conversational phrases by watching TV. Or that's what they say. I took 5 years of Spanish and I pretty much retained nothing.
I've done both of these... But I haven't watched Spanish movies/the in a while. When I did I usually watched it with subtitles. I also used to watch English movies with Spanish subtitles and that helped.

Would you recommend just watching Spanish tv without the aid of subtitles? I know enough at this point where I should be able to figure out what the scenes are about.

I briefly gave both German and Spanish a try ta few years ago and can only remember the basics.
Most apps now give you the option of Castilain Spanish or Latin American Spanish.
Best of luck.

I need some direction from any members that learned to speak Spanish from English, I'll take any input from Spanish speakers but I'm mainly interested in hearing from people whose native tounge is English and then learned Spanish.

I need direction or some kind of language learning plan. Been studying Spanish for 2 years. Usually only 10-15 minutes daily but because of my relations and where I live I have the opportunity to use Spanish on a daily basis, which I do when I can. I've learned several thousand words and I can understand basic conversation and even more in depth convos by piecing together words.

I just feel like my studying time is too random. I've been through over 2000 homemade flashcards for single words, i read kids books in spanish, listen to spanish music, text and hold VERY basic conversation with friends and family. Right now my study is divided between the mosalingua app and the memrise app.

I just can't seem to get a grasp on piecing together sentences of my own. My verb co jugation pretty much blows but I am vaguely familiar, should I focus on that for a while?

There's just so much to Spanish and I feel like it would suck to only progress this far after learning so much. My goal is to speak fluently in everyday situations and be able to hold more in depth conversation.

Any help from my sherbros would be greatly appreciated!
Try Duolingo App... is quite nice and free.

If you want to say an specific phrase or expression feel free to ask me for it...

Try Duolingo App... is quite nice and free.

If you want to say an specific phrase or expression feel free to ask me for it...
I actually started my Spanish journey with doulingo and I got about halfway through when I started getting immersed in my flashcards and it kind of fell by the wayside.

I know it's hard to judge my level of Spanish through the interwebs but I can read and understand 4th grade and below childrens books, I'm fluent in numbers/buying and selling things in Spanish and as I posted above. Extremely basic convos skills.

Do you think completely the doulingo app would push my Spanish to a higher level?

I've been able to reach a B2 level Spanish. Conversationally fluent, but I can be limited at times dependent on topic. Things that helped me the most was definitely spending time abroad, but honestly, don't do it if you can't commit fully to immersing yourself in Spanish. I've made the mistake of falling into the gringo group or being in a situation where English would get me by. If that option is not possible, seek out language exchange sites ( I used mylanguageexchange.com). Found 3 contacts that I talked with regularly. We would spend 30min talking in Spanish and 30 minute talking in English. This helped me the most. Even when I was at an A2 level, I was communicating better than a lot of people who had a vastly better vocab than me.

visit Mexico, and try as best as you can NOT to use English

Move to a Spanish speaking country, that's how I learned English, by force.

Back