Emmett rocked Yair very badly looking back

SpinningElbowEnjoyer

Brandon Moreno's #1 Opps
@Yellow
Reaction score
So this was probably my favorite fight at ufc 284 because it was very nerve-racking. However, I feel like the commentary team overlooked just how badly hurt Emett was hurt early into the fight. He was wobbling very hard after a couple of overhand rights. Yair was eventually able to get the comeback win but it was pretty weird most people haven't talked about it, or maybe I was bugging and Yair was never hurt.

It was one clean shot really that hurt em. Yair didn't see that punch coming and actually turn his chin into that shot. Most fighters would have been out cold from that, Yair was hurt but didn't go down, highly impressive imo.

Yair didn't see that punch coming and actually turn his chin into that shot. Most fighters would have been out cold from that, Yair was hurt but didn't go down, highly impressive imo.
Yair has a very solid chin and he was the better fighter but it's annoying that the commentators didn't pick up on it or react to it

Yeah, Yair's hand speed is insane but he's not good at punching range, he gets hit way too easily and doesn't exactly have good fundamentals for his boxing and defense. He's truly a dynamic threat at range, his kicks are his breat and butter, the fact that he can be offensively dangerous everywhere and is super athletic is what makes him formidable and not so easy to exploit but he is a flawed fighter and someone Volk can most likely gameplan the fuck out of. I still expect the fight to be competitive though.

And Emmett definitely caught Yair a couple times hard, I thought he stunned Yair twice personally but as you said commentary didn't really call it. Could swore he knocked him down at one point too even if they didn't score it as one.

Yair has a very solid chin and he was the better fighter but it's annoying that the commentators didn't pick up on it or react to it
Yeah, it was a crazy hard shot right on the button with Yair turning into the punch. Why they didn't pick up on it is that Yair played it cool even though he didn't get his bearings back until he was in his corner (his own words) lol.

And the ref put his hand on Yairs foot on cage and helped him get the sub

Emmett dropped everyone he fought @ FW besides Kattar. Yairs chin has been shaky for a while so the fact that arguably the hardest puncher in the division couldnt finish the job is actually a positive for Yair.

And the ref put his hand on Yairs foot on cage and helped him get the sub
I don't want to race bait at all but it honestly it seems like there is a big push for the Mexican market by Dana in the ufc and they're doing everything in their power to make sure Moreno and Yair are champs or have some marketability. The eye swelling in Figgy vs Moreno 4 was weird because they didn't even give a replay or a chance to see if Figuredo was actually poked in the eye or not like how they do with Usman every time he supposedly gets eyepoked and the commentary in their last two fights have been heavily in favor of Moreno.

And Emmett definitely caught Yair a couple times hard, I thought he stunned Yair twice personally but as you said commentary didn't really call it. Could swore he knocked him down at one point too even if they didn't score it as one.
It's really weird. I think Burns knocked Masvidal down (in the second round) as well and they didn't count that either. Din Thomas ruined that moment.

It's really weird. I think Burns knocked Masvidal down (in the second round) as well and they didn't count that either. Din Thomas ruined that moment.

A lot of knockdowns aren't clean and shouldn't necessarily be scored. It's one thing that bothers me about boxing criteria, sometimes guys get caught on the chin while off balance and fall on their ass from impact but were never actually dazed but if that's scored a knockout you win a 10-8 round, meanwhile some guys get caught hard and lose their legs, have to fall into the ropes and clinch for a minute to recover but that doesn't score as significantly ffs.

Emmett did better standing vs Yair than people seem to remember though, Yair was very hittable and I personally have always felt Emmett sucked relative to his ranking.

A lot of knockdowns aren't clean and shouldn't necessarily be scored. It's one thing that bothers me about boxing criteria, sometimes guys get caught on the chin while off balance and fall on their ass from impact but were never actually dazed but if that's scored a knockout you win a 10-8 round, meanwhile some guys get caught hard and lose their legs, have to fall into the ropes and clinch for a minute to recover but that doesn't score as significantly ffs.

Emmett did better standing vs Yair than people seem to remember though, Yair was very hittable and I personally have always felt Emmett sucked relative to his ranking.
Ye, I didn't think he beat Kattar at all. His win over Ige is also questionable. Emmett just spammed a lot of overhands and hoped for the best and Yair's boxing defense is definitely lacking.

Like you said, I think Volk is gonna have a great gameplan and get it done. His kicks really disgusting tho, hope Volk doesn't get caught with one. He also caught Max with some vicious elbows but Volk has better defense.

Back