Elevation Training Mask

KingOfAllWar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with these? namely fighters?

I've just ordered one and was wondering if it is worth the money? I'll be doing some extreme strength and conditioning training wit it on.

Any advice? Can things get dangerous?

I had never seen the fighterstrength blog before; thanks for the link.

Nor had I. Much appreciated.

I'll be doing some extreme strength and conditioning training wit it on.

Sounds extreme. Give it a couple weeks, your VO2max should be over 9000.

I am curious, however, as to why you ordered first and asked questions later? You seem to have gone about things in a rather backwards manner.

I think it's a waste of money, and I base this off of nothing I have read.

As that fighter blog says they are a complete waste money of money.

I'm kinda interested in why you would order one and then ask if it's worth the money. Wouldn't it make more sense to ask that before ordering?

As someone who has done a fair amount of studying on altitude exposure, a fair amount of exercise at altitude (with a touch of pulmonary edema to boot), and a decent working knowledge of how oxygen works in the body, let me try to explain this in as simple of terms as I can.

When you are exposed to altitude and thin air for sustained episodes, your oxygen saturation in your blood will drop. Your body compensates in a few ways, but the most relevant way is that it produces more oxygen carrying cells to make up for the fact that each cell is carrying less oxygen. When you return to sea level, boom, you have more oxygen carrying cells that are now carrying all the oxygen they can handle, increasing your performance.

Does the mask lower your SPO2 (oxygen saturation)? If not, it doesn't work.

What that product will do is resistance training for your respiratory muscles, just like any other (cheaper and less cumbersome/silly-looking) respiratory trainer.

Doing some additional resistance training on your respiratory muscles (additional, as in outside the rest of your training) may indeed have some benefit in certain types of activities. Wearing a mask while training will almost certainly inhibit your gains because it will offer extra stress on the respiratory muscles at the cost of lower overall "performance output" (and consequently less stress on the rest of your body).

Plus it looks retarded as fuck.

Yeah I probably should have researched first but I got one on offer(still expensive though).

I guess the best way is to find out for myself. I did ask my trainer (pro MMA fighter) and he said he has never used one but has heard it does wonders for some and can be life threatening for others. It's a risk i'm willing to take.

I will update with my results and if there isn't a review on one in the review section, i'll do one.

I am gonna take it easy at first and break myself in, don't wanna push too hard and end up unconscious or something.

Yeah I probably should have researched first but I got one on offer(still expensive though).

I guess the best way is to find out for myself. I did ask my trainer (pro MMA fighter) and he said he has never used one but has heard it does wonders for some and can be life threatening for others. It's a risk i'm willing to take.

I will update with my results and if there isn't a review on one in the review section, i'll do one.

I am gonna take it easy at first and break myself in, don't wanna push too hard and end up unconscious or something.

What a bat shit mental post. :D

293879_482937971727590_1651541922_n.jpg

Geordie "Shadow" Munro;75592375 said:

I don't understand what any of that means. Any chance you could let me know what the significance of that information is?

I don't understand what any of that means. Any chance you could let me know what the significance of that information is?

First column shows before training with elevation mask, second column shows a short period of time during the training phase, and the third shows the results of testing after finishing a cycle of training with the mask.

Essentially, it shows that most values changed negligibly- a 0.56% increase in red blood cell count isn't exactly much for your average trainee.

First column shows before training with elevation mask, second column shows a short period of time during the training phase, and the third shows the results of testing after finishing a cycle of training with the mask.

Essentially, it shows that most values changed negligibly- a 0.56% increase in red blood cell count isn't exactly much for your average trainee.

So, the claim behind the training mask is it simulates the effects of training at altitude (less air) creating more blood red cells, meaning more oxygen can be carried, improving your endurance. What the chart above shows is that there in minimal change in red blood cell count, meaning very little to no improvement in endurance, caused specifically by the mask?

So, the claim behind the training mask is it simulates the effects of training at altitude (less air) creating more blood red cells, meaning more oxygen can be carried, improving your endurance. What the chart above shows is that there in minimal change in red blood cell count, meaning very little to no improvement in endurance, caused specifically by the mask?

And tell me if I'm wrong, but is that chart based on one person one time? If it is, then those numbers, while negligible, carry absolutely no weight.

You are both correct.

It would be interesting to note the numbers from multiple participants of a study with similar testing protocol but a larger sample size, as well as a control group doing the same training without the mask.

Back