Elevation mask during strength training.

Sambo Ronin
@Green
Reaction score
i was thinking about buyin an elevation mask i was wondering if i should use it just for cardio work outs or for both cardio and strength work outs.

i am short on time so my post will suck. use the search function. we have covered this extensively, you will find much better info in those old threads than in this one.

scam_truck.jpg

chances are the ts and 6 other posters we have never seen before will say you're wrong.

just guessing based on past history.

Studies have shown that you want to "train low, live high"

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/does-elevation-mask-really-work-1746169/

Here is what I posted there, which actually included a quote from another thread (epic multi-quote!)

It's a scam. The majority of the research seems to indicate that you should live high/train low, meaning train at low altitude but live at high altitude. The first link below explains it pretty well.

I hate to be Debbie Downer but recent research seems to show that you get the best results when you can live at high altitude but still train at low altitude.

Altitude Training for Sea-Level Competition

Living and training at altitude is less effective than living at altitude and training near sea level, because the lack of oxygen at altitude results in detraining through reduction in intensity of training.

Does Altitude Training Improve Sea Level Performance In Endurance Athletes?

Just some food for thought, I haven't really researched this too thoroughly.

as I've said in other posts on the same topic, the masks do put additional strain on the cardiovascular system, hence why people in fields that require them to wear respirators have to get physicals to make sure they are healthy enough to wear them.

As far as improving your cardio, I wore a gas mask a lot in the army, ran with it on, played volleyball, softball, football, did obstacle courses and did general "army stuff" with it on. After a long time of training with it on all I was better at was doing things with the mask on. My PT run times didn't improve because of the increased mask use not did my ability to play volleyball, softball, football, run obstacle courses or do other general "army stuff". So spend your money on things like a good pair of running shoes or a jump rope as far as improving your cardio.

As far as strength, now that's just silly.

For a good example of "altitude training" data look into the cyclists that do the tour de france, you will find most sleep in altitude chambers. So the person that said "train low, live high" appears to be pretty on target.

you should try it TS and see if you get stronger

That whole "hypoxia training" was what screwed up Wanderlei when he was with that quack Alejarra.

TS,my advice to you would be to forget about that and just do some good ol' Tabatas, hill sprints, or bodyweight circuits to improve your conditioning. As for strength, read the FAQs

Improving the cardiovascular system is the easy part of cardio training. The hard part is building muscle endurance. For that you'll need to push your muscles hard and so will need as much oxygen as you can get.

there is no way that this product can simulate altitude, I have tried to get some information from them but no one has been able to tell me how it works.

what i do know is that its can not simulate altitude as it is not changing the pressure or the composition of the air. so all it is doing is making it harder to breathe by restricting air flow which makes it harder to breath - which is not the same as being at altitude or simulated altitude.

Physiologically this is very different and will not have the same effect or any long term beneficial effect that altitude training has - sure your worker will be harder from a breathing point of view but there will not be any change in physiology that will lead to an improved performance or recovery of training at sea level.

I also would not recommend using this to pre acclimatize i would think you would get a nasty surprise when you go to altitude.

just my humble thoughts but 10 years researching altitude tells me calling this altitude training device is miss leading

there is no way that this product can simulate altitude, I have tried to get some information from them but no one has been able to tell me how it works.

what i do know is that its can not simulate altitude as it is not changing the pressure or the composition of the air. so all it is doing is making it harder to breathe by restricting air flow which makes it harder to breath - which is not the same as being at altitude or simulated altitude.

Physiologically this is very different and will not have the same effect or any long term beneficial effect that altitude training has - sure your worker will be harder from a breathing point of view but there will not be any change in physiology that will lead to an improved performance or recovery of training at sea level.

I also would not recommend using this to pre acclimatize i would think you would get a nasty surprise when you go to altitude.

just my humble thoughts but 10 years researching altitude tells me calling this altitude training device is miss leading

According to your 10 years researching altitude, what are the long term beneficial effects that altitude training has?

How stupid do you have to be to think restricting your airflow will help you lift more weight...

According to your 10 years researching altitude, what are the long term beneficial effects that altitude training has?

Living at altitude, where the oxygen is thinner in the air, causes an adaptation (over a period of weeks) whereby your body deliver oxygen more rapidly to your cells.

Bogot

elevation mask during any training is a waste of time, as stated by many others. forget it and save your money. train harder.

Living at altitude, where the oxygen is thinner in the air, causes an adaptation (over a period of weeks) whereby your body deliver oxygen more rapidly to your cells.

Bogot

The endurance athletes (I saw a triathlon athlete) at the USA training center in Colorado actually train with an oxygen mask on. So when they train they are able to use more oxygen, because of the red blood cells they have built by living in high altitude, and push their bodies to super human feats, while using an oxygen mask. I have seen them do this while running on a treadmill and on a stationary bike.

Enforcing the "train low, live high" philosophy...

Back