Edgar beating Swanson with ease showed that Edgar is not washed up and how good Ortega is

MMAart

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Edgar beating Swanson with ease showed that Edgar is not washed up and how good Ortega is. Ortega beat Edgar from the start to finish, and even though he is a BJJ based fighter, he was not afraid to go toe to toe with Edgar and dominated him standing.

EDGER.gif

Ortega is going to be the next FW champion soon.

What makes that KO even funnier with what just happened is that Ortega took that fight on short notice meaning he had less time to gameplan and still looked way better than Cub did. That's what happens when you don't train all aspects of MMA, and in Cubs case, what happens when you neglect ground work.

Ortega is not as decorated and colorful of a striker that Cub is, but he damn sure wasn't worried about getting taken down because of how comfortable he is off his back. He gave Edgar a little respect while giving Edgar a lot to respect as well, as Ortega has that killer instinct with submissions, and jumps at necks like Scrooge McDuck does his coin pool.

Going back to the point that Cub Swanson poorly prepared for this fight and has not got past that mental hump of getting taken down, again which is attributed to a LACK. OF PREPRARATION!

Last edited:
What makes that KO even funnier with what just happened is that Ortega took that fight on short notice meaning he had less time to gameplan and still looked way better than Cub did. That's what happens when you don't train all aspects of MMA, and in Cubs case, what happens when you neglect ground work.

Ortega is not as decorated and colorful of a striker that Cub is, but he damn sure wasn't worried about getting taken down because of how comfortable he is off his back. He gave Edgar a little respect while giving Edgar had a lot to respect as well, as Ortega has that killer instinct with submissions, and jumps at necks like Scrooge McDuck.

Going back to the point that Cub Swanson poorly prepared for this fight and has not got past that mental hump of getting taken down, and that's all because of a LACK. OF PREPRARATION!
Dissapointed to see how hesitent Cub looked.

Personally, I believe it is a mixture of Frankie being past his absolute prime, combined with him not being prepared for Ortega to be anywhere near as good in the stand-up.

Regardless, Frankie is an absolute warrior and will always be one of my fave fighters.

The logic is flawed, it always is if you rate skill based on who beats who..Cunner is a good example of that.. .But I do think Ortega will be champ soon, and maintain it for awhile..

Dissapointed to see how hesitent Cub looked.

BJJ and Wrestling are essential tools in MMA, and Cubs neglect of them over the years have caught up to him, gone are the days of stand and bang. With each year, Wrestling is looking more and more like the most dominant aspect of MMA and true for the most part, just look at the Main Event, Lee dominated because of how good his wrestling is.

That's why if I were to get in MMA, and train, I'd want to start with Wrestling, it's the best base to have. Boxing and BJJ being a close second. Shit Kevin isn't known for BJJ but has submitted some people because of how active he is on the ground.

Cub Swanson's tentativeness shows how far MMA has evolved and how Frankie is a better fighter as he is more complete. Cub Swanson only has striking, while at the same time, folding under pressure of getting taken down.

Edgar beating Swanson with ease showed that Edgar is not washed up and how good Ortega is. Ortega beat Edgar from the start to finish, and even though he is a BJJ based fighter, he was not afraid to go toe to toe with Edgar and dominated him standing.

EDGER.gif

Every time I see that video I am amazed , it looks like Frankie served up his chin on a silver platter..No disrespect to Frankie but you could have driven a truck through that opening.

Striking stat was 23 to 7 before the elbow.Edgar was outstriking him.Holloway will whoop him on the feet.He is overrated

Well, I wouldn’t say with ease...

Neither of them did much of anything. Edgar had all his TD attempts stuffed and won with his jab and pressure.

I actually thought Cub landed the bigger shots, which where not all that often or that “big”..

I don’t think the fight was an indication of much. Cub could have pulled the trigger more - that’s about it... and agreed, would like to see him wrestle / grapple more.

I mean the fight clearly showed Edgar outstriking Ortega up until the KO and by a confortable margin. I don't know where this "dominated him standing" and "beat him from start to finish" comes from.

And people were worried talking about Frankie took a fight too early coming off a KO loss.

EDGER.gif

I don't think it was some sort of blowout. Honestly, Frankie might have been ahead before that elbow landed. Awesome finish though.

I agree that Ortega is something special. He's extremely good, as is Max. That fight is going to be amazing. And if they both stay at 145 or move up to 155, I expect those two to fight each again in the future.

ortegas performances show how good ortega is, his opponents dont.

lol at aldo beating ortega, that is the silliest thing i have heard today.

Back