Early 2017 Oscar Front Runner

If you have seen MONSTER TRUCKS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Update: January 16, 2017

Early 2017 Oscar Best Picture Winner Bombs at Box Office with $10.5M

Monster-Truck-Lucas-Till-060116-Dragonlord.jpg

Paramount/Viacom Inc.’s Monster Trucks did about as well as expected, which is to say not terribly well at all. The live-action kid-targeted fantasy, about a small town kid who finds an alien that brings his truck to life, earned $10.5 million over the Fri-Sun frame. That sets the film up for around $14.1M for the holiday. That wouldn't be a horrible debut if the movie weren't so bloody expensive.

The studio infamously took a premature $115M write-off on this one back in September, clearly seeing the writing on the wall.

There was much mockery when that news was announced, especially at word that the film’s story came from an executive’s young child. But truth be told, the only problem with Monster Trucks is that it cost so much to make. There should be a marketplace for live-action explicitly kid-targeted movies like this, especially in a time when even the Star Wars and Superman movies are basically pitched at adults.

Of note, the film played 60% under-25 who gave the film an A+ CinemaScore ranking. It played 53% male.

Box Office: 'Monster Trucks' Bombs With $10.5M Weekend, 'Bye Bye Man' Scares Up $13M @Anung Un Rama

Update: January 16, 2017

Early 2017 Oscar Best Picture Winner Bombs at Box Office with $10.5M

Monster-Truck-Lucas-Till-060116-Dragonlord.jpg

Paramount/Viacom Inc.’s Monster Trucks did about as well as expected, which is to say not terribly well at all. The live-action kid-targeted fantasy, about a small town kid who finds an alien that brings his truck to life, earned $10.5 million over the Fri-Sun frame. That sets the film up for around $14.1M for the holiday. That wouldn't be a horrible debut if the movie weren't so bloody expensive.

The studio infamously took a premature $115M write-off on this one back in September, clearly seeing the writing on the wall.

There was much mockery when that news was announced, especially at word that the film’s story came from an executive’s young child. But truth be told, the only problem with Monster Trucks is that it cost so much to make. There should be a marketplace for live-action explicitly kid-targeted movies like this, especially in a time when even the Star Wars and Superman movies are basically pitched at adults.

Of note, the film played 60% under-25 who gave the film an A+ CinemaScore ranking. It played 53% male.

Box Office: 'Monster Trucks' Bombs With $10.5M Weekend, 'Bye Bye Man' Scares Up $13M @Anung Un Rama

It will get a sequel before Hellboy

Are you serious about the early Oscar front runner?

What "John Wick 2"? Oscar for Keannu?

Its only seen the trailer, but the subject matter, cast, and obvious quality have me feeling it in my bones.

I'm pretty shocked I haven't heard anything about this movie until now. Psyched.

You have been slacking. @Dragonlordxxxxx had a write up in the movie thread.

For the record I keep hoping my kids will ask to go see this.

Update: February 27, 2017

MONSTER TRUCKS is the Real Best Picture Winner at the 2017 Oscars

Monster-Trucks-Real-Best-Picture-Dragonlord.jpg

I must have dozed off.
It's understandable that the La La Land producer was confused when he opened the envelope since Monster Trucks and Moonlight have the same beginning two letters.

This is like the mayberry version of the Mike Perry hype

Back