Ducking punches and bending at the waist

You mean like this?

GenerousCoolAmericanlobster.gif

* he's below the guy's belt, so it technically is illegal

* his back was crunchy AF

* although this clip is fun watching him show off, this is a really bad idea to mimic, imagine how f*ked you'd be if your opponent just pushed down on your neck or head while you did that. Vertebrae would sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies in that scenario

Isn't it supposed to be NOT bending at the waist but bending the knees so that you don't run into uppercuts?

Why is that everyone from the Mayweather to everyone else do exactly that and bend at the waist often to dodge punches
you should do both, not either or. And if you're super tall for your weight class, bending at the knees is often a bad idea. It definitely takes less energy using your waist and back rather than your legs. I don't know, personal preference I guess.

* although this clip is fun watching him show off, this is a really bad idea to mimic, imagine how f*ked you'd be if your opponent just pushed down on your neck or head while you did that. Vertebrae would sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies in that scenario

Believe me, I didn't post it in defense of moving with just your spine. I felt it was an ostentatious example of what was being described. It worked in that case, but I wouldn't recommend it lol.

Those who bend at the waist have more athletic ability to avoid punches and usually not counter punchers..the correct way is to keep waist/hips down bend at knees in a direction you can retaliate with pucnches. Bending at waist usually involves avoiding punchs directly without engaging because if one does you are off balance more than the knee bending more posture stance.that avoids the on coming punch and in the knee bending stance is more able to counter punch properly........bending or swaying under the opponents belt line is also illegal...Floyd does this often.

everyone is different, I always felt awkward using just my legs, but I've always had long legs. I've seen short legged guys have no problem with some of those things. You'll notice, guys like arguello and Hearns usually didn't crouch as low as a short boxer, it would be uncomfortable. guys who have all that muscle in shorter legs feel better and should try to get lower. Also, waist movement favors the guy who moves on his toes. I think you should do both and a mix of both.

they say Marciano retired because of a bad back from all that ducking in his style, he used to go very low.

everyone is different, I always felt awkward using just my legs, but I've always had long legs. I've seen short legged guys have no problem with some of those things. You'll notice, guys like arguello and Hearns usually didn't crouch as low as a short boxer, it would be uncomfortable. guys who have all that muscle in shorter legs feel better and should try to get lower. Also, waist movement favors the guy who moves on his toes. I think you should do both and a mix of both.
Marciano was a mere 5'9 he didn't have refined techiniques of even a Frazier who actually blocked face forward a lot....what Marciano had was being undersized and had to deal with not overly huge heights but he was certainly a blue print for Frazier/Tyson like fighters....Tall guys wont really need to bend at the back ...they have length and could have more options to avoid shots....Anthony Joshua is a bend at the knees guy/pick off shots and it works perfectly.....Marciano in retro spoect only was taught to bend/bend /bend/land whenever the opponent was open while having to worry...if you have length it would make it easier to out box a short/less lengthier guy using waist if you don't like fighting inside.

they say Marciano retired because of a bad back from all that ducking in his style, he used to go very low.

I hope Danny Garcia's back is okay, he's been ducking a lot lately.

out of all the problems fighters face, usually, back problems aren't high on the list. I can't think of a lot of complaints about back problems from fighters. I recall Patterson saying he threw his back in the first Ali fight but I think it was more likely an act and an excuse.

oh, ya, and Tyson claimed he broke his back before the Etienne fight on a motorcycle. when you think of it,its surprising more fighters don't have neck injuries, those guys have to really be in condition to take all that. Meaning, they have to have been through years of constant exposure to the punishment. I heard Ali had a neck surgery about 15 years ago, and I knew a boxer who was an amateur for 11 years but needed surgery over 30 years later on his neck.

is it really illegal to go below your opponents belt? i'd never heard that, must go unpunished all the time. I remember Chavez whining about sweet pea ducking so low, maybe he had a point.

Bend at the hips not the back. The hips are designed to do this all day and you achieve the same effect without compromising your spinal health.

When you're tired it's so mjcn easier in the moment to bend at the waist and not use your legs.

I stopped that shit pretty early into my amateur career no matter how tired I got after some nasty uppercuts lol

i can tell you one thing, bending at the waist is a bad habit when you are dealing with kicks, that much I can tell you, from personal experience. I don't think uppercuts are necessarily a big problem, bending at the waist includes more than bending forwards. Joe Frazier was amazing at picking off punches, something he rarely gets credit for, when he was bobbing and weaving. I do think that style takes more energy and those kinds of fighters generally have shorter careers.

The difference is Floyd has a side stance so he cant get hit. When you do that its a very cheesy tactic which imo is equivalent to holding, because neither you nor your opponent can hit.

I heard it used to be illegal to bend at waist

He threw plenty from the crab.

Everything has it's pros and cons. Ducking at the knees is certainly the safer method and what most should be taught in my opinion. But ducking at the waist is less exhausting and sometimes quicker because gravity limits how fast you can squat down.
But good fighters with good headmovement usually do both and know when to do which

The difference is Floyd has a side stance so he cant get hit. When you do that its a very cheesy tactic which imo is equivalent to holding, because neither you nor your opponent can hit.

I heard it used to be illegal to bend at waist
It's illegal to bend or squat down below the height of the waist.

Back