Dropping the hand when throwing a high kick

I did Shotokan too before switching to kickboxing. I think a lot of us advocating "dropping the hand" in this forum started off in a TMA. We do understand the biomechanics of the different styles.

I found traditional (not tournament style) Shotokan roundhouse very similar for some reason. Probably because the hip does the exact same rotation in the Shotokan kick as the MT/KB kick.

BTW, which Shotokan org do you "belong" to?

Shotokan Karate of America

^^^{face palm}
it's the arm travelling in the opposite direction that
creates the momentum and power.

can this vile thread die already?

no ones going to budge with which way they think is correct so we are essentially spinning around in circles here.

That's because both are correct. They teach both methods in Muay Thai gyms in Thailand and everywhere else in the world. It's obvious it's done both ways in KK gyms as well.

The idea that one is more correct than the other is just ignorance.

facepalm

why are people comparing kicking to running? LOL

a kick is a damn kick and you know the only thing you can compare a kick to?

say it with me...

A KICK!

andyhug010.jpg

Andy%20Hug%20last%20K-1%20fight%20Low%20kick.JPG

andy-hug-mawashi-geri.jpg

mr hug seemed do fine with out dropping his hand low in these pics

GASP HE DID KK AND MT TOO!!!

not trying to be a dick but he is also dropping his other hand in all these pics. its not picture perfect both hands up either. his hand isn't glued to his chin but rather low. while he is reaching for the opponent, the hand that is suppose to be by the chin is all the way low. i know you are going to mention that hes a great fighter but isn't that a fundamental no no?

its probably a matter of balance. btw i am really interested in your technique. i am still not sure you are advocating reaching your arm towards your opponent or keeping both hands glued to the face while kicking high. Please post a video. i am always wanting to learn new variations of a technique.

I never said that one or both hands must be glued to the kickers jaw as he is launching his kick. Thats one of the things few have understood in my posts despite the fact i have repeated it more than once:icon_chee

Of course if one was to to keep both their hands like that it would be extremely awkward to kick properly or generate force

I would throw my roundhouse similar to how Andy is throwing it in the last pic of him i posted only i would prefer to keep my rear hand up closer to my face but other than that thats exactly how i throw it. I keep the hand on the side of the kicking leg slighty above the the leg as it is launched and it doesnt affect my power at all versus dropping the hand all the way down below my waist. :icon_chee

I have a camcorder but i'm not sure how you hook it up to download it on a computer or if my particular camcorder is even capable of even doing this ( not very good with technology folks!)

Last edited:
use a camera phone. everyone has camera phone nowadays.
and yea i was refering to the rear hand quite low too.

i think both ways are effective, personally i telegraph the hand on the side im kicking with and keep the other hand up to protect my chin. like this:

3059482894_10e0163a58.jpg

I think it depends on the type of kick, for a roundhouse I like to swing the arm on that side back but cover my face with the other hand. For other kicks I might keep both hands up.

Something else to take into consideration is that when kicking mid-high, swinging the arm back isn't going to invite punches generally because the person will be defending his upper gates against the kick.

Kicking low keeping the hand out front is done more often to defend the hands which aren't needed to defend your kick.

But one of the things I love about muay thai is the understanding that everyone is different, and while one person may do things a bit differently, it's all still muay thai. That's something that I think the "TMA" can learn something from.

exactly. my friend says if it works in the ring. then its muay thai....

i think both ways are effective, personally i telegraph the hand on the side im kicking with and keep the other hand up to protect my chin. like this:

3059482894_10e0163a58.jpg

That is a pretty cross body check. wonder if the knee made it to the foot. Hard to tell teh out come in from the pic.

exactly. my friend says if it works in the ring. then its muay thai....

To a degree yes. There's authentic Muay Thai done in different ways but still holding true to the fundamentals...much like American Boxing has each boxer with his own flair, they too follow the fundamentals.

Then there's guys who claim to be muay thai fighters that when you watch them obviously are not--they are kickboxers who learnt some muay thai moves. I've been stocking up on reference material as of late, and have noticed a huge disparity between those who say they practice muay thai, and those that are true nak muay. It's quite obvious. Especially in the body movement/posture, footwork, and punches.

Bringing this topic off page 3 because I asked my sensei why we don't do this tonight, and he told me.

Apparently if you're moving your hand down hard enough to help you complete the motion, you're actually doing something that's bad for your back. He said 40 year old guys can't kick like that anymore.

Also, keeping your hands still will keep your muscles better connected.

It would make sense, we do see MMA fighters retiring around that age.

You bring your hands down and swing them in the opposite way to get power, and that's mostly through having good balance, and also inertia from twisting your hips the other way. Arm goes first, and then you snap the kick around to follow it.

Also, when you bend back for a side kick or whatever, since your head has dropped levels because your bending back, you are out of range to a strike, and also should be out of range of head kicks. Also, your now low hand will be perfectly covering the centerline and your head because you are bending backwards.

Back