Driver-less Cars: Impending Reality or Sci-Fi Nerd Fantasy?

It totally will. That's the beauty of AI. It will learn from all sensors in the field, reporting back to the servers that will work as a hive mind. It will learn at a rate faster than any human, essentially giving the computer all the skills of every professional driver combined. Eventually, computers will do everything for us. That's inevitable. The discussion is really on how we manage that. Denying it or saying that it shouldn't happen is like helplessly swimming against the current of a raging river.
I really don't want my vehicles connected to the "Hive Mind." That actually sucks. I want to be able to drive my own truck. The Hive mind isn't gonna let drive my truck off the road, or across my yard to pick up logs or limbs and haul it to the other end of my property for a bonfire. That's just one example. It'll probably read "error" if I want to do something that the "HIve mind" doesn't want me to do.

How much do you believe in the current hype around this issue? I question it.
I once got in an argument with this arrogant fuck in the military who swore up and down that computers will never take the place of a human being in the cockpit making decisions. That hasn't been fully realized, but putting limits on technology is kind of insane to me.

About driverless cars... Once they become serious options for everyone, prepare to get the book thrown at you if you choose to drive and hurt someone. You'll have no excuse then. But I think by then most people will choose to sit back in a drunken stupor and allow themselves to be chauffeured home.

There is a way, its called stop voting for plutocrats into power.
And you really believe that's going happen? The latest election, in a diverse country of 330mil peopl, there were exactly two candidates with any realistic chance of winning; they were Trump and Hillary. I think it's pretty obvious we are a LONG ways off from not living in a system where two puppets who only represent special interests, are our only viable options.

What about when these computer cars decide to mow people down? Is that safer? Not in these instances.

And you really believe that's going happen? The latest election, in a diverse country of 330mil peopl, there were exactly two candidates with any realistic chance of winning; they were Trump and Hillary. I think it's pretty obvious we are a LONG ways off from not living in a system where two puppets who only represent special interests, are our only viable options.

And the solution is being a Luddite?

What about when these computer cars decide to mow people down? Is that safer? Not in these instances.

ethan-couch-affluenza-kid.jpg

And the solution is being a Luddite?
There may not be a solution at this point. But I'm pretty sure it's not being all gung-ho about robots replacing human labor.

Yeah, I suppose we should celebrate killing off another million or so jobs for the sake of increasing profit margins for corporations, and create a society even more dependent on technology to go about functions of daily living.
I think our society has lost something with technology.

There may not be a solution at this point. But I'm pretty sure it's not being all gung-ho about robots replacing human labor.

Not replacing, improving dramatically.

So driverless cars/trucks won't drastically reduce the number of drivers needed?

Yes, but it will also reduce dramatically the need for fuel and the time lost in traffic.

Yeah it's coming, but why would we want it besides for convince/laziness.

One of the largest job markets is driving, why do we want to create less jobs. I mean is driving really that big if an issue we can't do it ourselves

I don't see anything impressive in having a self driving car. Seems like a bunch of nerds who watched to many sci fi movies and want to pat the back of their own ego bonner.

Being able to sit in traffic and study would be nice or play games on a handheld.
It seems like many ITT fail to appreciate the numerous benefits. Being able to have a subscription to an auto-car service instead of having to own a car could save upwards of $9000 a year and be a million times more convenient. With all the cars cooperating with each other traffic jams could be a thing of the past. The safety benefits speak for themselves, well, to everyone but certain morons ITT. For someone with a long commute it's a dream come true. Using that time to be productive or entertained would be a massive boon.

Pretty much my exact thoughts on the subject. Didnt plan on getting a new car until it was driverless. Car wreck from one of the many fucking idiots on the road changed those plans.

LOL what a retarded thing to say, may was well eliminate tractors and even beasts of burden, let people work the land with their own hands.
There's always a trade off with technology. It's nice to have it. But there is something rewarding about doing difficult manual labor, being patient. And it has to do with character development. It molded our ancestors. Today we have it so easy. Things are not appreciated because we don't have to work or wait for them.

So there is a give and take.

The way I see it, it's just another step towards a big brother state. Regular cars will be determined to be a danger to society (most likely after a series of vehicle based terror attacks), and legislation will be pushed to have older incompatible vehicles taken off the road.

Vehicles with self-driving tech will allow the state to know whereabouts of citizens, but also the ability to control the vehicles from afar. You'll see msm play some feel good stories about how getaway cars were stopped from afar and prevented more crime. Meanwhile, it will be used for a whole lot of other things the citizens will not be in favor of.

It may not happen in USA, but it will happen in a lot of countries. Look at all the truck attacks in Europe. Soon, all truck delivery will be handled by companies with self driving trucks, while traditional truck drivers go out of business.

I would think these driverless cars need lines painted for lanes.

Right. These SD cars follow a line that's made with a metallic paint, using a system of magnets built into the undercarriage. It's pretty space-age stuff.

No, I am not inherently against these technologies. I just don't think they should be embraced until you have a way to counter negative outcomes they may have on a society.
you are no different then any other decrier of technology advances for the last hundred years.

Seriously, radio was bad and needed to be stopped because it was going to deny live artists their ability to get paid.

Vehicles and heavy equipment will take away from manual labour jobs.

The internet and computers from office workers.

Fact is making people more productive (instead of wasting hours in traffic) causes a greater net benefit to society then the cost it imposes.

The way I see it, it's just another step towards a big brother state. Regular cars will be determined to be a danger to society (most likely after a series of vehicle based terror attacks), and legislation will be pushed to have older incompatible vehicles taken off the road.

Vehicles with self-driving tech will allow the state to know whereabouts of citizens, but also the ability to control the vehicles from afar. You'll see msm play some feel good stories about how getaway cars were stopped from afar and prevented more crime. Meanwhile, it will be used for a whole lot of other things the citizens will not be in favor of.

It may not happen in USA, but it will happen in a lot of countries. Look at all the truck attacks in Europe. Soon, all truck delivery will be handled by companies with self driving trucks, while traditional truck drivers go out of business.
And if you disagree with the state, don't be surprised if your self driving car malfunctions and gets in a fatal accident.

Hmmm interesting. Particular since there are no examples of human driven cars getting into accidents this point is particularly relevant.

I really don't want my vehicles connected to the "Hive Mind." That actually sucks. I want to be able to drive my own truck. The Hive mind isn't gonna let drive my truck off the road, or across my yard to pick up logs or limbs and haul it to the other end of my property for a bonfire. That's just one example. It'll probably read "error" if I want to do something that the "HIve mind" doesn't want me to do.

Your opinions on technology are funny to read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back