Down playing abiliies

Habs fan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Everyone has a little ego no matter who you are. But why do people down play their abilities. It just seems to me to be ego driven. If they win it's a huge accomplishment but if they lose it just seems easier to swallow.

I see this a lot with tournaments.

Guys will say "I got sick/don't have time to train/am really busy right now/etc., BUT I'm going to do this tournament anyway for the learning experience!"

I tell them not to bother. They won't learn a thing.

Why? There are two outcomes:

One is they win anyway. In that case, they won't change a thing. They'll double down on whatever they are doing.

The second is that they lose. In that case, they still won't change a thing. They already know what to blame, and it isn't anything they intend to do anything about -- they just got sick/didn't have time to train/were really busy, etc.

how are you doing bro? im doing fine, im kicking ass around and tapping every mother fucker I see walk by me...

people like to be humble unless they are getting paid not to, then of course you always have that jack ass that is not humble at all...

bjj is a game of skills I think, its better let your skills talk rather than your mouth, and luckily, you can normally show them every single day at your gym.

Last edited:
The whole sport is ego driven, like most competitive activities. It's just other sports don't keep banging on about how little ego they supposedly have.

I see it most often with guys downplaying their previous experience i.e. Guys misrepresenting how long they trained at other gyms, or wrestling/judo experience.

I guess some guys like to be seen as these incredibly fast learners or natural talents.

I tend to do this. My logical mind knows I'm good. I'm a brown belt in BJJ and a black belt in Judo. When people ask me if I'm good I say I'm OK. I don't do it to trick anyone. I just really don't like talking myself up.

I hope people don't think I am talking about being humble. Hit N Run I am not talking about guys like yourself believe it or not I do the same thing. I am talking more about what Balto described. He explained it better then me. Guys that need excusses for losing even before you start to roll.

how are you doing bro? im doing fine, im kicking ass around and tap every mother fucker I see walk by me...

people like to be humble unless they are getting paid not to, then of course you always have that jack ass that is not humble at all...

bjj is a game of skills I think, its better let your skills talk rather than your mouth, and luckily, you can normally show them every single day at your gym.

^this!

I don't tend to down play my abilities as much as understand the vast road ahead of me compared to the short distance I've traveled.

Additionally, "being good" is relative. Compared to an untrained person, I'm a killer. Compared to a competitive Blue or Purple, I suck donkey dicks.

Back