Dominick Cruz, Already Commentary GOAT?

D

Drake

The incredible juggling act of Dominick Cruz

013_Dominick_Cruz.0.0.jpg

Dominick Cruz said:
"I have to study all these UFC Fight Pass prelim guys who there's no film on," Cruz says, flipping through the UFC Fight Night 95 undercard. "The only way to get film on them is to look them up on YouTube. And if you don't have internet, you can't watch YouTube. So how am I supposed to study these guys if I have no internet?"
"I've been fighting for 10 years and I've never once had any color commentator in my entire career sit down and ask me one question about me, personally, to my face," Cruz says. "I just feel like this is a position that, I'm not perfect, I'm not going to do it right every time probably. I'm going to have my mistakes, because I'm not a perfect individual. But I'm trying to do the best job I can, to get the most information I can from these athletes, because I felt that I was very misunderstood coming up in my career, with people trying to break down my style. Even the color commentators would just say weird and awkward, instead of asking me what I was doing face-to-face. They never even thought of that. They would just give their opinion on what they saw and that's it.

"But how are you supposed to break down what I'm doing if you have no clue what I'm doing? That mindset kind of carried over to where I said, I want to be able to break down what fighters are doing and see it from a different light, because I didn't get that."

"The color commentators would just say ‘weird' and ‘awkward,' instead of asking me what I was doing face-to-face. They never even thought of that. They would just give their opinion on what they saw and that's it."

"Once I lost my belt, I really started aggressively doing the FOX thing, because my sponsors dropped off," Cruz says. "I wasn't flying first-class anymore. I wasn't doing any of that. It's little things you start to realize when they all get taken away. When you lose that belt, you hit a panic state and you go, holy cow, I could be out of this sport for the rest of my life. I don't know if my body is going to perform for me again. I need to work. I need to make money. I can't just rely on fighting for the rest of my life. I need a Plan B.

"Early in my career, I was under the mindset that focus is the key to being champion. Focusing on one thing, like a magnifying glass. When you use a magnifying glass and you're trying to burn an ant on the ground, you don't keep moving it to different objects. You keep it on that ant until the ant sets on fire, and when the ant sets on fire, you've won. You caught that thing on fire, right? Well I did that with my MMA career. I lit my MMA career on fire with a magnifying glass. Nothing else existed. I never moved the magnifying glass.

"But then my knees blew out, so I needed a new focus. I couldn't just keep burning that ant that was burnt to a crisp, so I had to move it. And when I moved that magnifying glass to something different, it broadened my horizons. It forced me to open my mind. It forced me to mature, not just as a fighter, but as an individual. As a man. Because I had to really challenge myself in situations that I just was not comfortable in at all, and I forced myself to do it anyway."

"My biggest goal in this process is to let fighters be able to release themselves and put a real understanding as to what their style is and what they're doing, because that's what this is. This is art," Cruz says. "This is a brand new sport.

"These new styles that are coming up need to be able to be read and understood from a fighter's perspective, and not just assumed according to what has been seen in the past. Because as this sport evolves, things are going to change, and those fundamentals, being ‘fundamentally sharp,' will no longer exist over time. As the sport evolves, new fundamentals will come into play because it's a new sport. That is very important to me, to be able to project that to the general public, the fans, and for the fighters, because I didn't get that. So I'd like to be able to give that to the fighters."

"As the sport evolves, new fundamentals will come into play because it's a new sport. That is very important to me, to be able to project that to the general public, the fans, and for the fighters, because I didn't get that. So I'd like to be able to give that to the fighters."

"I truly believe that a lot of times people forget the position they're actually in when they're doing this job," Cruz says. "You're not there for anything except to make this fighter known and understood. They get 15 to 25 minutes to go out there and show the world who they are, and we're a piece of showing the world who they are -- me, Joe Rogan, whoever is in that color commentary position. What information you decide to research and understand about that person, not just their fighting style, but their personality and why they do things, it matters. It matters, because our whole career is lived through 15 minutes sometimes. You expect people to be our fans if all you did was talk about nonsense for 15 minutes because you didn't actually do the research on the guy? Or said this guy is horribly weird, so now everybody is going to say he moves horribly weird? It's just not fair.

"So my thing is, give these guys what they deserve. You can't always be perfect, somebody is always going to be upset with you. Everybody has a voice these days, especially with social media, so it is going to be a challenge for me and I am going to have to have some thick skin, I already know. I already have a huge target on my back from being champion for so long, and now let's add another target onto my head for being a color commentator. People are going to have their judgments about me and there's nothing I can do about it. So it going to take a lot of focus, a lot of strength, a lot of respect and humility.

"Even those who I don't get along with, I have to separate myself from that as a mature individual and realize that regardless of what I feel about this person, this is their time in that Octagon. They're building their life and their career, just the same as I am. So regardless, how I feel about them is irrelevant."

"Well, if you told me before I had to do it, I don't know if I would've been able to do it," he admits. "But with the things that I learned about putting one foot in front of the other and dropping everything else, I had to do that more than ever during that stint with injuries. I had to not think about the nine months of [rehab] that I had ahead of me. I had to just think about the day, that I had to do 10 squats. And being happy with the 10 squats and moving forward with the rest of my day.

"What I learned through that, I didn't have that gift before. And now I can cater that to other parts of my life, like this analyst job and all of the other responsibilities I have. It really taught me how to juggle, how to deal with all of this stuff that I have on my plate and just kind of take a deep breath, put it in God's hands, put it in the hands of the people who I have faith in on my team, and just give it everything I have. As long as I give my heart and soul into something, I usually do a pretty good job. It doesn't mean I'm always going to be perfect, but all I can do is hope for the best, cross my fingers, and do all of the research and all of the work I can so I don't mess up, and hopefully people aren't too harsh on me when I get out there for the first time."

"But I wouldn't take it back," he finally says. "That was your No. 1 question, right? I would not take it back. Not for a second. I learned a lot. It was very hard. But that's what made me."

Cruz might have the brightest future outside of fighting of anyone in the UFC...

He's a very good analyst. Very well spoken, intelligent, and obviously insightful on the fight game.

He and Stann are both top notch fighters / announcers.

C'mon bro, has he even commentated enough fights to be GOAT? Has he paired up with the top 5 over a long enough time? If so, how did he do against them? He is a little bit too boring to be the GOAT he needs more finishes. Top 10 tho for sure

He's damn good but I'd rather listen to Dan Hardy. Not as macho.

He doesn't have the internet?

<mma4>
I don't know what that part was about, lol. He's been posting on Snapchat, Twitter, etc.

C'mon bro, has he even commentated enough fights to be GOAT? Has he paired up with the top 5 over a long enough time? If so, how did he do against them? He is a little bit too boring to be the GOAT he needs more finishes. Top 10 tho for sure
<{smellit?}>

Apparently his mouth and feet move equally fast.

Taking this parallel into consideration... maybe Woodley should say very few words, but when does speak, it should be forceful. Than we'd get more KOs and less stupidity.

It gets way darker.

"When you use a magnifying glass and you're trying to burn an ant on the ground, you don't keep moving it to different objects. You keep it on that ant until the ant sets on fire, and when the ant sets on fire, you've won. You caught that thing on fire, right?"

It's telling that the analogy that comes to his mind is torturing a defenseless animal to the point of immolation.

incredulous.gif

#AntLivesMatter

IM THE BEST ON THIS MICROPHONE,
IN THIS RING,
EVEN ON COMMENTARY,
NO ONE CAN TOUCH ME

/Clothesline McGregor
/heel turn

Both him and Stann are too technical for casuals like me. They tend to detour into details a bit too much. Rogan has a way to casualize techniques and imo played an essential part in lowering the difficulty for new fans to enter the sport. I watch this stuff for shits and giggles, I don't train and the technical mumble jumble confuses and angers me. Rogan on the other hand doesn't make me feel dumb.

Listening to Cruz color commentate is kinda like watching him fight. I kinda get what's going on but not really.

adam-promo-new-1.75p.jpg

I wasn't a fan prior to his injuries but he really grew on me as an analyst he's terrific at commentary/breakdown/ giving insight he's easily the best 135lber ever, top guy p4p, and with another win over tj/dj or a big fight at 145 I'd say you could easily make an argument for one of the goats guy has had a storybook career with the comeback

Well what do you think about gsp then? I found gsp far more boring than Cruz but he's still one of the goats none the less

It gets way darker.

"When you use a magnifying glass and you're trying to burn an ant on the ground, you don't keep moving it to different objects. You keep it on that ant until the ant sets on fire, and when the ant sets on fire, you've won. You caught that thing on fire, right?"

It's telling that the analogy that comes to his mind is torturing a defenseless animal to the point of immolation.

incredulous.gif

#AntLivesMatter
Him & Rory should hang out... :p

350p1lh.jpg

Well what do you think about gsp then? I found gsp far more boring than Cruz but he's still one of the goats none the less
LOL are we talking about commentary still or are you talking fighting?

I actually think GSP is 2nd GOAT, behind Fedor.

I was being sarcastic because that's how all the GOAT talk goes around here. You'll catch on:) Welcome

Back