DOJ settles IRS lawsuit

Mark Hunts FIST

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...e-irs-didnt-target-just-conservatives/276536/

Close to a third of the advocacy groups named by the Internal Revenue Service as recipients of special scrutiny during tax-exempt application reviews were liberal or neutral in political outlook, a leading nonpartisan tax newsletter reported after conducting an independent analysis of data released by the agency.

All told, around 470 groups were flagged as "potential political cases" between 2010 and 2012, including 298 whose experiences were analyzed in a Treasury Department inspector general's report. Because the IRS by law must not name groups that have not yet been approved or which were rejected, only a subset of their names was made public in May by the agency -- 176 cases.

Of these, "the majority of the groups selected for extra scrutiny probably matched the political criteria the IRS used and backed conservative causes, the Tea Party, or limited government generally," wrote Martin A. Sullivan in a June 3 piece in Tax Notes, a newsletter published by the Tax Analysts group. "But a substantial minority -- almost one third of the subset -- did not fit that description."

<puh-lease75>

Are you saying that there's nothing behind it? And if so why is there a settlement?

My favorite part of this article you posted is the word probably. I know I always depend on the word probably @Falsedawn

Of these, "the majority of the groups selected for extra scrutiny probably matched the political criteria the IRS used and backed conservative causes, the Tea Party, or limited government generally," wrote MartinA.Sullivan in a Jun

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...e-irs-didnt-target-just-conservatives/276536/

Close to a third of the advocacy groups named by the Internal Revenue Service as recipients of special scrutiny during tax-exempt application reviews were liberal or neutral in political outlook, a leading nonpartisan tax newsletter reported after conducting an independent analysis of data released by the agency.

All told, around 470 groups were flagged as "potential political cases" between 2010 and 2012, including 298 whose experiences were analyzed in a Treasury Department inspector general's report. Because the IRS by law must not name groups that have not yet been approved or which were rejected, only a subset of their names was made public in May by the agency -- 176 cases.

Of these, "the majority of the groups selected for extra scrutiny probably matched the political criteria the IRS used and backed conservative causes, the Tea Party, or limited government generally," wrote Martin A. Sullivan in a June 3 piece in Tax Notes, a newsletter published by the Tax Analysts group. "But a substantial minority -- almost one third of the subset -- did not fit that description."

<puh-lease75>
So more than two thirds of the organizations selected for special scrutiny were conservative. And after all the stonewalling by the IRS and the constant denial by libs, it turns out that there was a substantial basis for conservative complaints. Using government bodies to systematically suppress legitimate political organizations is a first rate abuse of power.

So more than two thirds of the organizations selected for special scrutiny were conservative. And after all the stonewalling by the IRS and the constant denial by libs, it turns out that there was a substantial basis for conservative complaints. Using government bodies to systematically suppress legitimate political organizations is a first rate abuse of power.

Two thirds of the disclosed.

That's not even 40% of the organizations subject to special scrutiny. And considering that a full third of that was progressive/centrist organizations, you're going to have a hard time proving any sort of malice on behalf of the IRS.

It get even more tenuous when you see that the conservative organizations were broadly using names associated with political movements, that would be dead giveaways for further scrutiny. The reality of the situation is that it appears that they put themselves in a better position to be identified as opposed to being targeted for malicious purposes.

But i'm just using Occam's Razor, i'm sure you have far more assumptions to make to try and make something out of nothing.

Two thirds of the disclosed.

That's not even 40% of the organizations subject to special scrutiny. And considering that a full third of that was progressive/centrist organizations, you're going to have a hard time proving any sort of malice on behalf of the IRS.

It get even more tenuous when you see that the conservative organizations were broadly using names associated with political movements, that would be dead giveaways for further scrutiny. The reality of the situation is that it appears that they put themselves in a better position to be identified as opposed to being targeted for malicious purposes.

But i'm just using Occam's Razor, i'm sure you have far more assumptions to make to try and make something out of nothing.

You can deny whatever you'd like. But I'm not assuming anything. The IRS has apologized for targeting groups based solely on their name or ideological viewpoint. The large majority of those groups were conservative, but I don't see how also subjecting liberal groups to undue scrutiny make this any better. The liberal groups should also receive their portion of the settlement, because they were also wronged in this egregious abuse of power.

Irs targets conservative political groups.......rioting in the streets.

NSA targets political groups.....nothing to see here folks.

Apparently targeting political groups is only a problem, if it is done more so to one side.

You can deny whatever you'd like. But I'm not assuming anything. The IRS has apologized for targeting groups based solely on their name or ideological viewpoint. The large majority of those groups were conservative, but I don't see how also subjecting liberal groups to undue scrutiny make this any better. The liberal groups should also receive their portion of the settlement, because they were also wronged in this egregious abuse of power.

Ah, so in 2013 the "scandal" was that Lois Lerner was explicitly targeting conservative groups in a malicious manner.

Now (that we blew that narrative up), the "scandal" is that it was done at all to anyone!

<YeahOKJen>

And you're going to have to excuse me if I don't put much stock in that apology based on how Sessions' DOJ has deviated from his predecessors on issues like disproportionate racial treatment in police departments (despite consent decrees being issued after extensive investigations with corroborated findings).

This is impossible, because the obama administration was scandal free. CNN told me so...

Ah, so in 2013 the "scandal" was that Lois Lerner was explicitly targeting conservative groups in a malicious manner.

Now (that we blew that narrative up), the "scandal" is that it was done at all to anyone!

<YeahOKJen>

And you're going to have to excuse me if I don't put much stock in that apology based on how Sessions' DOJ has deviated from his predecessors on issues like disproportionate racial treatment in police departments (despite consent decrees being issued after extensive investigations with corroborated findings).

I don't think anything was blown up other than Lerner's hard drive. I think the story was ignored and the investigation greatly delayed by years of IRS non-cooperation with Congress and with the courts on this issue. And at the end thus who claimed conservative groups were targeted because of their name and ideology were validated.

If some liberal groups are also being targeted by the government, that doesn't disprove anything other than that the scope of the problem is wide enough that liberals should care about it too. But mostly they don't, from what I've seen.

Irs targets conservative political groups.......rioting in the streets.

NSA targets political groups.....nothing to see here folks.

Apparently targeting political groups is only a problem, if it is done more so to one side.

One scandal at time buddeh. Start a thread on the NSA scandal and tag me. We can talk about what a problem that is there.

One scandal at time buddeh. Start a thread on the NSA scandal and tag me. We can talk about what a problem that is there.

Come on, you have to understand me by now.

The story could be taylor swift wearing a new dress, and my response would be, "I bet the NSA new before the news told everyone else".

Come on, you have to understand me by now.

The story could be taylor swift wearing a new dress, and my response would be, "I bet the NSA new before the news told everyone else".
This is such a tiny dose of the deep state.

NSA FBI CIA. All politicized and above the law

Back