Does Muay Thai tend to be “watered down” in the USA

I say its more of the US having a more boxing heavy culture over kicking.

I've seen numerous times when theres 2 corners and the boxing coach gives some shitty advice in regards to MT, wreck the fighter.

Most specific case was their guy was in the single collar and preventing my teammate from progressing. Boxing coach decides to tell him to rip the body. Doesn't do damage, and my mate secures thr double collar, and rapes him into the stone age with knees. It was a TKO.

Course the bigger problem was having 2 different corners shout completely opposing directions that confused the fighter

That's stupid because even in boxing, body shots are done to wear the guy out in the long run, not to wreck him.

I have been body kicked half a dozen times and it does nothing. It's both the adrenalin and the fact that you are ready for it.

And punches are much less powerful on average than kicks, so yeah stupid strategy in MT

Last edited:
every time i sparred with people that train muay thai at an mma gym, they tend to go 200%...as if it was an actual fight.

<puh-lease75>

the sparring in thailand is super light but extremely technical, the intensity/energy output is almost as if we were play fighting. also, there was sparring every day and the thais fight at a higher frequency than in north america.

if you were preparing for a fight, then for sure, get in some harder rounds. otherwise, i feel like the risk is greater than the reward with frequent hard sparring.

EDIT: scoring system in thailand is different than north america. body kicks are scored higher than punches. i would agree with @j123 in that there is definitely more of a boxing culture here in north america with the scoring system (almost) favoring it.

Last edited:
That's stupid because even in boxing, body shots are done to wear the guy out in the long run, not to wreck him.

I have been body kicked half a dozen times and it does nothing. It's both the adrenalin and the fact that you are ready for it.

And punches are much less powerful on average than kicks, so yeah stupid strategy in MT
Its more that there wasnt much for him to do. Upstairs is blocked by arm control in the clinch so I could see how he wanted his guy to be active by landing something. Overall its a shitty tactic, esp if elbows are involved. I love it when they go to rip so I can chop down beautifully.

Just a curious observation.
There seems to be a lot of differences between the sparring culture between Muay Thai done at MMA gyms on one hand and boxing at pure boxing gyms on the other hand.

I had a friend who did Muay Thai at big mma gym near me. He always bragged about not using headgear. I thought this was strange. When I saw the sparring they did I realized why they didn’t need it.
They just kicked each other in the legs with the occasional jab cross to the head.

You go to a Philly or Baltimore boxing gym. They are wearing headgear. But they’re actually going at each other. Hard.

Is Muay Thai sparring like this usually?

Cause I think a boxer from the hood would give these guys a rude awakening.
My coach ( Scotland ) told me the reason we wear padding and hit harder than in Thai because they fight multiple times a week and can’t risk injury. That’s why you see videos of some of the guys in Thailand training no pads, going bone to bone but not overly forceful. More to do with technique.

Then again these lads have been at it from a very young age

yup i remember aussie muay thai for sure. your right, it has kinda fallen off, all of their top guys from that time you mentioned are mostly retired now like all the Mad X gym fighters basically. I think it may also not be getting as well promoted as it did back in the day. Right now the top australian is toby smith.

aussies train like thais with harder sparring i would say.

nearly forgot about eli madigan.

So Dutch Kickboxing =Dutch Muay Thai? Is it the exact same thing? What are the gyms called?
Basically.

Check out Peter Aerts, Ernesto Hoost, and Semmy Schilt as examples. Also Andy Souwer and Ramon Dekkers, of course.

Faster pace, heavy hands, ending combos with a kick. But it's also the way they train that's different. You can look up different Dutch kickboxing drills and Dutch sparring (which I believe is 100% to the body while avoiding the head - but don't quote me on that).

its crazy because all those top aussie guys from mad x gym, no longer fight and i believe they are working regular jobs.
meth was really messed with a lot of former thai fighters. that shit really hit australia hard. (not implying anything about mad-x, i just know it messed with quite a few of the old guard).

meth was really messed with a lot of former thai fighters. that shit really hit australia hard. (not implying anything about mad-x, i just know it messed with quite a few of the old guard).

dude, dont get me started with meth..........ahh the shit is evil and its everywhere, and I mean everywhere. its plagued the entire planet. Every country and every city on earth has meth. I have done quite a bit of research on it. The main ingredient to make it is Pseudoephedrine which is available over the counter. There were some states that have attempted to require Pseudoephedrine to require a prescription, to try and help stop the production of it, however the pharmaceutical companies didnt want that, and paid them off. Big Pharma is well aware of whats going on, but they dont care because the are making so much money, world wide. Its everywhere man. I am seriously beginning to think that the companies arent selling cold medicine that tweekers use to make meth. I think these companies are literally selling the ingredients to make meth, disguised as cold medicine. Its not uncommon to find pipes n shit all over the place.

2223185-meme-uploadfromtaptalk1460957311211.jpg

dude, dont get me started with meth..........ahh the shit is evil and its everywhere, and I mean everywhere. its plagued the entire planet. Every country and every city on earth has meth. I have done quite a bit of research on it. The main ingredient to make it is Pseudoephedrine which is available over the counter. There were some states that have attempted to require Pseudoephedrine to require a prescription, to try and help stop the production of it, however the pharmaceutical companies didnt want that, and paid them off. Big Pharma is well aware of whats going on, but they dont care because the are making so much money, world wide. Its everywhere man. I am seriously beginning to think that the companies arent selling cold medicine that tweekers use to make meth. I think these companies are literally selling the ingredients to make meth, disguised as cold medicine. Its not uncommon to find pipes n shit all over the place.

2223185-meme-uploadfromtaptalk1460957311211.jpg
this is the truth. thankfully it actually seems a little on decline where i live. you only have to see so many scabby crack heads to think, i might give that one a miss.

Back