Does judo transition well into BJJ?

I've been involved in Judo for over 45 years and in BJJ for over 30. When I start cross training in BJJ, I was a judo BB and I used to train Judo in the best academies in Brazil. (Judo was and still bigger than BJJ in Brazil) Anyways, I was getting caught in submissions by BJJ blue belts, that's when I decided to figure out the Jiu-Jitsu ground. I would say that a Judo BB is equivalent a BJJ Blue belt for the most part. I use my Judo in BJJ competitions and my BJJ in Judo competitions and so all my students since my schools teach and participate on both.
I believe Judo is more suitable for BJJ than wrestling (with gi) as long as the Judo school/instructor don't limited themselves to the IJF rules and have some understanding of Jiu-Jitsu because not everything Judo will work for BJJ, a lot of the things have to be adapted.
By my experience, Judo BB can and will pin you, they have very strong grips and they will try to submit you with the "Ezekiel" from your closed guard. They usually are faster learners in BJJ. BJJ guys are slower learners in Judo.

Granted I had dabbled in BJJ and MMA in backyards with buddies in the past, but after having actually attended a Judo school for about a year. I got good at it pretty quickly, had some competitons.

I went to a BJJ school and grappled in nogi fashion against a brown belt, he was a bit bigger than I. I controlled him and held him in positions and pins where he couldn't do much, and frustrated he opened himself for a sub attempt I almost had.

Sure I guess one could call it stalling but my sport like wrestling, is heavily pin based so I did what I knew.

I felt good that day because the brown belt was impressed and it was my first formal BJJ grappling. They knew I had a brown belt in Judo which is why they paired me up with him in the first place and we were both around 230.

Then I proceeded to go against a skinny manlet blackbelt instructor but this guy caught me in submissions left and right and made me feel like a legit white belt.

So to summarize, yes it helped, no it did not make me a BJJ expert.

Brown belt in judo in a year?

I train teh UFC on weekends lol

Judo doesn't have the belt system BJJ has. There's only three belts for adults. White, Brown, and Black.

Having a black belt in Judo doesn't mean much, it's the degrees of the belts that matter.

Yup. If you love watching a variety show imbued in judo, search in YouTube "Cool kiz on the block judo". Watch from the 1st episode. Lee Won Hee a judo world champion plus a gold medalist in judo leads the team of Korean celebrities in judo.
You can see some people have black belts but their techniques in matches is not there yet. It's a really good programme.

Judo doesn't have the belt system BJJ has. There's only three belts for adults. White, Brown, and Black.

Having a black belt in Judo doesn't mean much, it's the degrees of the belts that matter.

I trained and competed in judo for ten years, never seen any BB given after a year of training, that’s a mc dojo belt.

We have white/yellow/orange/green/blue/brown and then black belt, to get each belt you need to know and perform a given number of techniques.
to be a bb in my place you need to know and master a wide range of techniques you have to display in front of officials, plus you need to have competed.
No way you are even allowed to pass the test with 1 or two years training.
Average time to get the black belt is around 7/8 years I would say. And then only comes the degrees to your BB which are indeed a serious thing too.

Different countries different mind I guess. Any blue belt would toss your 1 year bb around I guess.

I trained and competed in judo for ten years, never seen any BB given after a year of training, that’s a mc dojo belt.

We have white/yellow/orange/green/blue/brown and then black belt, to get each belt you need to know and perform a given number of techniques.
to be a bb in my place you need to know and master a wide range of techniques you have to display in front of officials, plus you need to have competed.
No way you are even allowed to pass the test with 1 or two years training.
Average time to get the black belt is around 7/8 years I would say. And then only comes the degrees to your BB which are indeed a serious thing too.

Different countries different mind I guess. Any blue belt would toss your 1 year bb around I guess.

I never said I had a black belt, this is something you made up to appear right, not what I or anyone said. I train in Tenri Judo with Tokuzo Takahashi. Hows that a McDojo? The guys one of the most legit Judoka in the states.

In Japan (correct me if I'm wrong on that one) and here in the states (this one I know for sure), for adults, there's only white, brown, black, and all the other degrees of black. The colorful belts are for children.

Getting a brown belt in Judo in a years time, especially with highschool wrestling experience, is not this impossible task especially when it's LITERALLY the next belt after white.

the belt debate in Judo is pointless. it's a subjective test instead of an objective test. a hobbyist black belt from a twice-weekly club would get smoked by a competitive black belt, who would get smoked by a european or asian black belt. in the end, you've got a lot of people with higher/lower ranks than they deserve. cest la vie. shut up and train.

a competitive black belt, who would get smoked by a european or asian black belt.
Not really, while the level of Judo in France or Japan is much higher, the black belt is not nearly so big a deal. Every Japanese person who did a bit of Judo in high school is a 1st Dan.
I trained and competed in judo for ten years, never seen any BB given after a year of training, that’s a mc dojo belt
Not sure if this is still the case, but there used to be a banner on the side of the Kodokan advertising that you could get a shodan in one year...

Last edited:
I never said I had a black belt, this is something you made up to appear right, not what I or anyone said. I train in Tenri Judo with Tokuzo Takahashi. Hows that a McDojo? The guys one of the most legit Judoka in the states.

In Japan (correct me if I'm wrong on that one) and here in the states (this one I know for sure), for adults, there's only white, brown, black, and all the other degrees of black. The colorful belts are for children.

Getting a brown belt in Judo in a years time, especially with highschool wrestling experience, is not this impossible task especially when it's LITERALLY the next belt after white.

In France adult as well need to go through all belt ( if I remember they start with a blue belt in Japan) but judo is kind of our wrestling as most of pepole start as kids and compete multiple time a month from 5/6 years old.
I just say that a brown belt in my country needs to reach an advanced technical level ( I would say equivalent to a purple belt in BJJ)as you need o know how to perform correctly a lot of techniques.
I don’t disagree with you its just that the judo culture is very different here than in the US as its the 3rd or 4th sport with most practitioners here, we are just after Japan as the country with best results at the olympics, hence it make sense that we have a more structured approach

Not really, while the level of Judo in France or Japan is much higher, the black belt is not nearly so big a deal. Every Japanese person who did a bit of Judo in high school is a 1st Dan.
Not sure if this is still the case, but there used to be a banner on the side of the Kodokan advertising that you could get a shoran in one year...

You go to kodokan during specific event like batsugun...win 3 fights in a row and get your BB. You still have to a Kata at the end.

In my country, you have to accumulate like 10 wins against brown or BB in shiai ie competition to get your BB.

Not sure if this is still the case, but there used to be a banner on the side of the Kodokan advertising that you could get a shoran in one year...

Ok interesting

the belt debate in Judo is pointless. it's a subjective test instead of an objective test. a hobbyist black belt from a twice-weekly club would get smoked by a competitive black belt, who would get smoked by a european or asian black belt. in the end, you've got a lot of people with higher/lower ranks than they deserve. cest la vie. shut up and train.

Yep same in all martial arts sports with belts.

It depends on the judo school

And the judoka. Rhadi Ferguson (BJJ black belt, judo Olympian) has said your typical judo Olympian is about purple to brown belt level BJJ competition (though not in knowledge, since they will know some things and be able to do some things few BJJ black belts know and can do and not know or be able to do some things every BJJ blue belt knows and can do).

On average I'd say go with the IBJJF standard that a garden variety judo black belt is at blue belt level BJJ, it seems to work out well in competition, which is the best testing ground for that. There are always going to be exceptions in either direction; Flavio Canto is not someone many BJJ blue belts will want to compete against, but there are also judo black belts who get their rank from teaching kids and who get tired walking up a flight of stairs and couldn't throw someone even if their life depended on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back