Does GGGs May 5th opponent matter

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Mug, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Mug

Mug Blue Belt

I know the quality of fighters in conversation is questionable but surely it doesnt matter if it isnt PPV
    GGG always wants to keep active so this keeps him fighting and get a good tune up for the bigger fights down the line like the Canelo rematch possible Jacobs rematch, unification with BJS or a possible matchup with Charlo
    Let him fight a bum make use of the trainin camp get some ring time and a KO for more confidence

2. RR

RR Step into the lab Staff Member Senior Moderator

This is essentially sparring. It's smart to stay active. Not his fault Canelo fucked up. Hard to do much right now until the legal stuff plays out. On Danny 3.5 and we will sign tomorrow

3. PUO3

PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Not a single bit.

4. wilddeuces

wilddeuces Brown Belt

At this point, no. But GGG needs to stay busy. We know what happens when an older fighter doesn't stay busy. Canelo always demanding that GGG can't fight before their fights really throws off GGG's career.

5. cocksure

cocksure Red Belt

A pity one of the fringe contenders couldn't step up.

6. george14

george14 Blue Belt

Anyone who dogs Golovkin's next opponent is a Canelo supporter. Canelo is the one who ruined this whole thing. Golovkin doesn't want to waste a camp so it shouldn't really matter.

7. RR

RR Step into the lab Staff Member Senior Moderator

Hard. Guy has to be in camp and then it's short notice so GGG isn't going to throw all that money out the window either on a risk.

Remember when Danny fought Pirog. You can't just toss people in the ring. These guys have stuff to prove against a name. Let him get his work in

ironfist05 likes this.
  8. GordoBarraBJJ

GordoBarraBJJ Gold Belt

Exactly this.

CANelo is the one who fucked this up by taking PEDs - yeah yeah tainted meat but pull your head out of your ass if yo believe that.

GGG just wants to stay sharp - not his fault.

Mr2urbo likes this.
  9. Mr2urbo

Mr2urbo Brown Belt

How sweet would it be if GGG retires after May 5 denying Canelo a chance to redeem himself ???

10. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

nah, I've been dogging Clenelo pretty hard for this, but names like Vanes? Mungia? Spike? CHavez Jr? Those are awful choices. A name like Andrade, BJS or even Devereyanchenko would have been good options and winnable fights. I'm not asking him to get in there with Jacobs or Charlo on this short a notice, but give us somebody with a pulse.

LangfordBarrow likes this.
  11. JayE

JayE Black Belt

I mean, a few did (Derevyanchenko and Andrade). Golovkin's people didn't want them, which is understandable considering the short notice and that Golovkin just wants to stay busy, collect a paycheck, and keep the September Canelo rematch on the table, but we could have had a better fight than Martirosyan. You can't blame Golovkin for it, though. We didn't lose the Canelo fight because of anything he did.

12. BillytheFish

BillytheFish Purple Belt

Clenelo Alvaroids and his boss Oscar 'let's play hide the spoon' Dela Hoya have fucked it all up for GGG and boxing fans alike. Should turn it into a charity match or something on 5th May lol

13. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

A shit fight is a shit fight, no matter the reason. Lots of guys have expressed interest, including a mandatory to one of his belts but they are looking at a guy who hasn't fought in 2 years.

14. PUO3

PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Well, he didnt lose. Not a whole lot to redeem himself from.

15. george-oli

george-oli Purple Belt

No.

It makes zero sense to fight Andrade or that other bloke lol. All it will do is appease the hardcore fans. But it won't draw much more than a fight against some taxi driver.

16. LangfordBarrow

LangfordBarrow StickAndMove Platinum Member

Barring some type of injury I don't see this happening. If he wants to cement his legacy he'll have to beat Jacobs and Canelo again. Without any more significant wins he'll at least have to set the record for defenses if he wants to be more than just a footnote in boxing history.

17. LangfordBarrow

I liked your post but I would throw him in there against Jacobs or Charlo to save the PPV. He doesn't have time to waste with more meaningless fights.

ironfist05 likes this.
  18. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

IDK, from GGG's perpspective, it makes sense not to take those guys. Those are high risk, low reward. He's already fought Jacobs and barely beat him; while Jermall looks like he could be a legitimately top threat at 160. I'd say go for it if he had full camps, but he should take good but not great opponents right now, giving him practice as he waits for his rematch with Canelo (logically, I wouldn''t want to risk losing to Jermall or Jacobs, too much $ on the line).

LangfordBarrow likes this.
  19. LangfordBarrow

I do agree with you, I'm basing this on a fan's perspective, as a manager or adviser I'd have him take an easy fight. GGG though has basically had his whole reign in the shadows. He's past his physical prime and should take the big fights sooner rather than later.

ironfist05 likes this.
  20. wilddeuces

wilddeuces Brown Belt

Mandatory is pricing himself out. Derevyanchenko must be asking for more than is realistic on the short notice. He has gotten more exposure from his promoter talking about him in an untenable fight, than he has actually being a fighter. If he really wants to enforce his mandatory, then take pay that is realistic given that the fight is on 3 weeks notice and won't be generating much $$$ at all.