Does everyone have belt testing ceremonies or do other gym belt as you go?

Fla graplr

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I know the tradition method of earning a new belt is proving in front of insturctors and your whole team on a belt testing day maybe a couple of times a year.

My gym belts as we go. A couple times a month as our instructor sees fit, at the end of class he gives stripes and belts. Basically since he watches and rolls with all of us he is capable of monitoring individuals progress.

I have never heard of others doing this, but i like it since the alternative method of belt testing lets people skip on promotions to sand bag themselves. Also its nice to not have to pay to test.

Does anyones elses school do something similar? Thoughts?

Hold on here, your Bjj instructor test your classes every couple of weeks?

I have seen this before at gyms. Especially for stripes.

I won a tournament but separated my should in the finals. I couldn't train for 6 weeks. I showed up about 5 weeks after the tournament I guess there was a big belt promotion ceramony the week after that I didnt know about. This was 20 years ago no real Cell phones or.Internet then. The instructor took a.blue belt from the coat rack and threw it at me on my way out and said just wear this when you stop being a pu$$Y and you are ready to roll again. Only one.other person saw this.

There is no test. He watches every day individually and sees if everyone is getting the technique and can demonstrate it. Also watches how effectivly people roll with each other and with him. So basically when he feels you are ready, he gives it to you basically on the spot.

2 graduations per year to conclude each semesters.

One on the first week of June and December.

Everyone get a stripe or a new belt.

Ussually, it is 4 stripes and we are up for the next belt. But sometimes, students get promoted with less stripes based on skills and performance.

No test for belt as we already tell you that you are up.

Just a small demonstration of techniques for your belt.

$50 for belt graduation which we use to buy pizza s and beer.

Sometimes we break protocol like someone won some blings and we don't want to wait.

If it is a "surprise belt", no fees but no pizza and beer party accordingly.

I know the tradition method of earning a new belt is proving in front of insturctors and your whole team on a belt testing day maybe a couple of times a year.

My gym belts as we go. A couple times a month as our instructor sees fit, at the end of class he gives stripes and belts. Basically since he watches and rolls with all of us he is capable of monitoring individuals progress.

I have never heard of others doing this, but i like it since the alternative method of belt testing lets people skip on promotions to sand bag themselves. Also its nice to not have to pay to test.

Does anyones elses school do something similar? Thoughts?

That's a lot less true of BJJ than other arts. BJJ has historically had a lot of different ways people get belts. Sometimes there's a formal test, sometimes there's just a day where everyone gets promoted and rolls a bunch, sometimes you just get your belts at the end of class or after winning a competition. In the US it used to be very common to get belts only when you went to seminars with the head of your association. It really depends on the instructor.

My coach gives stripes to white belts and belts to kids at the end of classes, but generally anything blue and up we have specific promotion days. But it's not really that huge of a deal, it's just a day we all show up and he gives out whatever promotions he deems appropriate. If you have one main coach who sees you on the mat every day, there's not really a compelling reason to do tests. That's more for if you're being graded by people who don't know you.

Just giving out belts is pretty traditional/normal in BJJ.

Back