• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Does being an MMA fan give you an innate advantage in street fights?

Just from watching mma for years, I carry a wealth of knowledge just like Neo downloading it in the matrix. But that doesn’t mean I won’t freeze up, panic and shit my pants when someone throws down on me.

Depends on how coordinated you are. Realistically, if you can throw and land a 1-2 on someone, you'll dispose of most people in a fight. Most people will flail their arms or throw ghetto haymakers. that can be easily countered with straight punches.

No it doesn't help at all.

And thats why I keep my Gun on my at all times in case of a street fight

s-l1200.jpg

People who have no training at all and don’t know how to throw a punch will not start a street fight with you. Those that are willing to do so will most likely be way more dangerous than you are and watching crap on TV will not help you at all. First you have to go through the “fight of flight” phase and most people fold right there. Also, most street fights do not start in a nice cleared space after the ref gives you the sign. Can you take an unexpected punch and survive through the dizziness and the watery eyes? Hit yourself a few times on the nose to try it. Watching mma on TV ffs…

If you are not a fighter at all. Just don't fight at all. If anything, just give the attacker what they want. If they want your wallet, give it. You can wait for your turn to ambush him later and take back your wallet.

I heel hooked a guy in a random bar brawl around 15 years ago, and fucked up his knee. I've literally never trained a day of grappling in my life, but, at the time, had been rewatching PRIDE, event by event. When I let him go, he stumbled off in record time. The real funny part is that I did this on autopilot, the dude's buddy had cheap shotted me and I was wasted, so there is a length of time where everything went dark, but I came to with some people screaming at me to let dude go, dude tapping around all over the place, and once the confusion subsided I began to lmao, bc it was all so surreal. Shout out to Minowaman for heel hooking Stefan Leko that time.

I once thought I was going to easily handle my friend who was a BJJ blue belt, I just traned UFC by watching, I figured I forgot more techniques he ever learned.

I was subbed 10 times in 5 minutes.
Couldn't do a simple arm bar even if it was there, even though I knew how it works. Only technique that somehow worked was a guillotine since it doesn't require much practical training to pull off.
It was an eye opening experience.

Even if you never trained at all? I think it does. I've never hit the mat or sparred with anyone, but I've shadow boxed and shadow grappled at home a few times, trying out the coolest UFC/WWE techniques. Obviously I would be mismatched against professional fighters, but I have to imagine understanding fighting and the techniques involved to the extent that I do would give me at least some of an advantage over an untrained normie.

What are your thoughts?

It probably goes like this:

I'm 50-0 in these streets

I heel hooked a guy in a random bar brawl around 15 years ago, and fucked up his knee. I've literally never trained a day of grappling in my life, but, at the time, had been rewatching PRIDE, event by event. When I let him go, he stumbled off in record time. The real funny part is that I did this on autopilot, the dude's buddy had cheap shotted me and I was wasted, so there is a length of time where everything went dark, but I came to with some people screaming at me to let dude go, dude tapping around all over the place, and once the confusion subsided I began to lmao, bc it was all so surreal. Shout out to Minowaman for heel hooking Stefan Leko that time.
Bobby is the Palhares of the streets

<{jackyeah}>

Bobby wins by submission (kneebar) 0:53 over Palhares

cat-high-five.gif

I would think a decent fan would have at the least... an advantage in that he wouldn't just go in flailing around & wildly swinging. At the least, I'd think he would recognize that putting teh hands oop to block headshots gives you more of a protective advantage.

Personally, I was a wrestler in skool, & oddly never even thought of my wrestling as a fight technique until I saw how effective it was in MMA. It literally changed my life, & I instantly doubled or trippled my effectiveness in a street fight. (I grew oop in a semi-small town & weaponless fighting waz the way we settled things. I was in well over a dozen street fights growing oop & my wrestling ability put me toward teh top even against people in higher gradez)

To an extent I believe yes.
You're unconsciously absorbing tendencies and patterns. You know not to over extend. You know the important of distances or clinching. You may not be able to execute against a trained individual however to someone who's completely ignorant to concepts you digest everyday you're going to have an advantage.

For example... if I watch football everyday and I know the formations, positions, where the players need to be and the like i'm going to have an advantage over someone who doesn't watch any football but decides to have a backyard game with me.

Yes, but depends on the person. On an even playing field a fan of any sport is going to do better at it than someone who doesn't know anything about the sport. There are a lot of variables in a street fight tho like being sucker punched, drunk, high, weapons, no rules etc.

Nope it will likely hurt your performance as you will try to do thing above and your level and look stupid for it. I remember when I first stared doing Jiu Jitsu and after instruction you back that technique and then are permitted to just role. My dumbass would be trying to do rubber guard and they would just be like wtf are you doing.

Back