Does anyone understand what happened at today's press conference?

It’s pathetic, but this is a contract manoeuvre to bolster the UFC’s legal position relative to McGregor. Champion contracts are different, and give the UFC even more rights over fighters. They want to retain that leverage over McGoof.

So they have made Tony the real champion in a sporting sense, while ensuring that McDuck’s contract also says champion on it for legal purposes. This is a contract manoeuvre. I don’t like it either, but that is what we are seeing play out.

For sporting purposes, though, Tony is now the champ and faces Khabib in what could be a fight for the ages. Conor is a champion only on paper. It’s a legal manoeuvre.

It’s all part of the drama to stir up PR and controversy to help sell fights. Not sure how well fights will sell but getting attention!

Yawn. I am looking forward to whoever fights. Khabib and Tony the two top active fighters at LW. Would be nice if Conor would fight too but he is demanding compensation at another level.

It’s all part of the drama to stir up PR and controversy to help sell fights. Not sure how well fights will sell but getting attention!

Yawn. I am looking forward to whoever fights. Khabib and Tony the two top active fighters at LW. Would be nice if Conor would fight too but he is demanding compensation at another level.

All it's doing is confusing people.

"So is it for the real belt or interim?" "Uh, we cannot really tell you guys".

I also found it odd that the press conference started late (again) and he gives a reporter sh*t for asking the question everyone wants an answer to and Dana asks if the reporter got there late.

Projecting much?

Conor cucked Dana, but Dana lacks the self-awareness to realize it.

It’s pathetic, but this is a contract manoeuvre to bolster the UFC’s legal position relative to McGregor. Champion contracts are different, and give the UFC even more rights over fighters. They want to retain that leverage over McGoof.

So they have made Tony the real champion in a sporting sense, while ensuring that McDuck’s contract also says champion on it for legal purposes. This is a contract manoeuvre. I don’t like it either, but that is what we are seeing play out.

For sporting purposes, though, Tony is now the champ and faces Khabib in what could be a fight for the ages. Conor is a champion only on paper. It’s a legal manoeuvre.
Sounds about right.

Nobody there looked comfortable with what was happening. It was like there was a 100 million pound duck in the room while Dana was completely roasting any and every journalist that they invited to their 'press' conference who brought it up. Nobody seemed to be digging all the NFL talk, the place didn't exactly erupt when they announced yet another rematch with rose-joanna. The trash talking didn't seem to have a very compelling effect when it comes to their next fight. And it was an early stoppage/cut to commercial by most accounts.

I don't see how creating this disconnect between common sense and semantics and the journalists who cover the sport is a good thing for the UFC, or
mma fans.

Reminds me of when Chris jericho and chyna were co intercontinental Champs lol

It wasn't funny how Dana acted like the press was stupid for not understanding the very unclear situation.

He made that alone from the sale

Did you look at celebrity net worth .con ?

Shertard
Dana was only a minority owner (9%) and retained a stake in the company after the sale but I guess i'll just take your word for it
<DirkMavs>

Will there be two simultaneous, undisputed, lightweight champions?

Is this like pro wrestling where you have a championship belt and an intercontinental championship as well.

This is setting an extremely strange precedent to allow this to happen. I am starting to think Dana is in the camp of wanting him stripped, I think if he was on board with this decision he would have been able to smooth talk what's going on. He seemed to know it was crazy but was forbidden from saying so.

I would have thought someone was crazy if they told me a few years back that Bellator would have more integrity with their championships/belts than UFC. What a change it has been.

As much as we know Dana used to lie regularly most felt that he had a good handle on MMA and ran a good ship. Now it looks like the sport is second place to him and Scott Coker seems like the best promoter of the sport.

Priority for me as a fan is seeing best fighting the best, champions regularly defending and us as fans feeling match ups make sense. Secondary are the analysing of rev and PPV and that’s only as a curiosity, too many buy the hype of someone that relies on the fans dollar which is ridiculous.

They're going to let Conor voluntarily relinquish the belt instead of "stripping" him. Then, GSP vs Conor @ 170.

Thats a money fight but.....Conor is no match for GSP

Georges would crush him

So who is this chick in that dudes avatar

484843.jpg

I think that they're probably hoping McGregor will vacate in the meantime, or strip him basically on the night when the winner is declared? I guess we'll see what their chat is between now and the fight; if they keep referring to Ferguson as the interim.

I mean, they *could* just stop mentioned Ferguson's interim belt AND McGregor's belt, and just call the fight as the Undisputed Champ match....... And then hope it all just works out? That sounds like a good plan, right?

Back