Does Anyone Here See a Scenario Where Dan Kelly Beats Derek Brunson?

Gabe

Saturdays are for the Boys
@Silver
Reaction score
Kelly has built up a nice little streak over some smaller names lately and just recently descioned Rashad Evans. I just can't see him beating someone like Brunson though. Brunson will have a definite edge in athleticism and power and has the wrestling to negate Kelly's judo. I see Kelly getting finished quickly. Is there anyone here who is picking Kelly and if so, why?

not picking him necessarily, but i think it's a pretty good matchup, and a solid test for each.

and i certainly don't think it's a cakewalk for Brunson.

Rashad Evans is not the same, a win over him means nothing nowadays. His always gun shy and never lets his hands go.

Brunson is extremely strong, athletic, and is willing to throw bombs to put you away. Which is why he lost to a great striker like Whittaker. Kelly's striking is stiff and robotic, I see Brunson KO'ing him or TKO'ing him.

His Judo won't be able to do much in this fight.

Rashad had the power and athleticism advantage too. How did that fight go again?

I could see Kelly grinding out a W, but he is going to have to eat some big shots and survive them to do so.
Depends on the line, but I'd lean towards Brunson if it was a toss up.

Kelly is the new Couture destined to take over the MW division, no stripling like Brunson will stop him.

#OldManPride

Kelly has a lot going for him.

-He pretty damn big. I was surprised how much bigger he was than Rashad. Hes got that "immoveable object" body type where he probably feels like he weighs much more than he actually does.

-Hes unique. Even in his striking and wrestling you can see the influence of his judo. That slick inside trip he kept hitting on Rashad and his whole bag of unusual tricks he has due to his LONG judo career can benefit him greatly. Especially as he gets more and more cage time and gets good at executing the subtle things that help you win rounds.

-Hes going to be underestimated. He is the classic underdog type.

Kelly is the new Couture destined to take over the MW division, no stripling like Brunson will stop him.

#OldManPride
Its funny he does actually fight a bit like Randy Couture. He has that "im kinda goofy and not terribly athletic but I have a ton of technical ability" thing going for him. And he also has a deep bag of tricks from his core sport just like Randy.

He's Daniel Kelly. There's no way he can win until he shows us.

I really doubt Kelly wins but we've seen bugger upsets.

Think the most likely scenario is a round one KO for Brunson.

He kept punching Rashad in the forehead with his superior reach and punch selection.

Dan Kelly would destroy Anderson Silva so this is close.

He has a ridiculous torso smashing style as well.

smashingcover.jpg

Daniel%20Kelly.jpg

Daniel%20Kelly.jpg

I never think he's gonna win, but he just keeps winning. I wasn't impressed with him on the show and didn't think he would do anything in the UFC, yet he keeps winning. Its getting to the point where I kinda wanna see just how far he can take this. I guess you can say I'm a fan of his now, I guess, idk. I'll root for him, but Brunson should beat his ass. You never know with this guy though.

Brunson could do something retarded and just run into one of Kelly's outstretched limbs.

I never think he's gonna win, but he just keeps winning. I wasn't impressed with him on the show and didn't think he would do anything in the UFC, yet he keeps winning. Its getting to the point where I kinda wanna see just how far he can take this. I guess you can say I'm a fan of his now, I guess, idk. I'll root for him, but Brunson should beat his ass. You never know with this guy though.

I basically came in here to say exactly this.

Kelly keeps winning despite even the relativity going against it. I dare not interfere with a mere mortal prediction.

I'm really confident Derek will finish this fight by first or second rd (T)KO

Even considering Kelly's voodoo

Derek has been a bit underrated since his loss(es), imo

Always been a big fan, so I'm biased, but I think he'll have something to prove after that Anderson session

Who knows if he'll temper his usual blitzing warfare tactics in response to the defeats, but I'm super confident he'll make Daniel look old af, regardless

Kelly's improbable win streak will come to an end

Last edited:
Kelly has built up a nice little streak over some smaller names lately and just recently descioned Rashad Evans. I just can't see him beating someone like Brunson though. Brunson will have a definite edge in athleticism and power and has the wrestling to negate Kelly's judo. I see Kelly getting finished quickly. Is there anyone here who is picking Kelly and if so, why?

I don't think Brunson will be able to take him down.

It'll be a striking match southpaw vs southpaw. Brunson via being younger but you never know...

Of course, it's not like Brunson is going to be this massive favorite. Derek is a solid wrestler and a solid puncher but technically he needs to evolve as a stand up fighter otherwise he'll have an obvious ceiling.

Back