Does anyone else feel that aldana will take nunes out relatively early?

Ahmed Masood

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Imho, Nunes is the woman’s mma goat. However, there are number of reasons why I predict aldana will actually ko nunes to retirement.

1) boxing fundamentals. Nunes has a tendency to swing her shots whereas aldana has much better footwork, a tighter guard and crisper shot selection. I can see a scenario where Nunes continually loads up a right overhand and aldana is able to counter effectively with a short left hook. Her most effective weapon.

2) chin. Nunes was getting rocked by flailing arm punches by Peña. Aldanas chin was more suspect earlier on in her career, but since going the ufc, it’s looked pretty decent. Also, not to play into stereotypes, but top level Mexican fighters are reknowned for toughness and heart.

3) underrated grappling and td defense. Nunes best option is to take aldana down but her previous fights have shown she can be a threat off her back. Also her td defense is 81% so it won’t be easy for nunes.

4) x factor. There’s something different about Mexican fighters this year in championship fights this year. Not only are they winning belts, but they are putting on great performances and finishing their opponents while doing so. It’s why I can actually see Yair putting volk out in July and why I can see nunes getting kod by aldana.

what do you think she’d bros? How do you see this fight going?

I was watching some of her training clips and has nice crisp, straight and tight punches - I thought the same thing TS #1 point.

I have feeling she is going to KO nunes hard.

It will either be in an exchange or a counter since nune tends to loop her punches.

i doubt it but
Imho, Nunes is the woman’s mma goat. However, there are number of reasons why I predict aldana will actually ko nunes to retirement.

1) boxing fundamentals. Nunes has a tendency to swing her shots whereas aldana has much better footwork, a tighter guard and crisper shot selection. I can see a scenario where Nunes continually loads up a right overhand and aldana is able to counter effectively with a short left hook. Her most effective weapon.

2) chin. Nunes was getting rocked by flailing arm punches by Peña. Aldanas chin was more suspect earlier on in her career, but since going the ufc, it’s looked pretty decent. Also, not to play into stereotypes, but top level Mexican fighters are reknowned for toughness and heart.

3) underrated grappling and td defense. Nunes best option is to take aldana down but her previous fights have shown she can be a threat off her back. Also her td defense is 81% so it won’t be easy for nunes.

4) x factor. There’s something different about Mexican fighters this year in championship fights this year. Not only are they winning belts, but they are putting on great performances and finishing their opponents while doing so. It’s why I can actually see Yair putting volk out in July and why I can see nunes getting kod by aldana.

i doubt it but if you truly believe in Irene via 1st round ko/tko there is a lot of money to be made

I think Nunes uses a grappling based game plan and grinds out a fairly pedestrian decision win.

I think she has a better chance the longer the fight goes on, to be honest.

If Aldana were to KO/TKO Amanda, I think it most likely happens in rounds 3 or 4 after an accumulation of strikes. I think Amanda may get this fight to the ground at some point, and if that happens, the questions become: 1) how comfortable is Amanda on the ground with Aldana; and 2) how long does it take Aldana to get to her feet?

That said, I think Amanda does okay at kickboxing range, with leg kicks, body kicks, and the occasional counter punch. In fact, she could very well just win this fight standing. Even if we accept that Aldana is the better boxer, Amanda is the hardest striker Aldana's ever faced--and by a substantial margin. I do not think Aldana's aggression (or will to win) will be deterred, but her technique could go out the window if she gets cracked hard and becomes a little reckless trying to get Amanda back.

However, if Aldana is winning on the feet by keeping the fight in boxing range, then it will 100% go to the ground. If she can make Amanda uncomfortable from the bottom, or scramble to her feet quickly, the fights going to be amazing!

Last edited:
2:46 of the 2nd round it’s going down

I think this is a game plan fight.

Nunes comes out and goes for a take down within the first minute.

Or Aldana comes out with a strong leg kick game and lots of footwork/movement through the first 7-8 minutes.

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 5.53.17 PM.png

Irene Aldana's team is essentially the same as Alexa Grasso's team, so just as they figured out where Shevchenko was vulnerable so that Grasso could capitalize on it, we can expect that they have heavily researched Nunes as well, and will be looking to ready Aldana to exploit Nunes's weaknesses analogously. That could possibly lead to an early finish by Aldana.

With coach Francisco Grasso
alexa-francisco-e-irene-e1459567996984.jpg

You should bet all your pesos on it.

I actually trhink Aldana can win this fight if it all goes her way.
I think people are sleeping on Aldana to some extent.

no disrespect to Nunes and all her achievements but i kinda feels like a change of era at the top of women's 135lbs is about due.

let's see what happens. I think Aldana does a LOT better than the odds are forecasting.....

Reactions: Gio

1. Nunes has great shot selection when she wants to. She threw like a bum against Pena in the first fight because she thought she could get away with it. Against better strikers, she's shown that she can be a lot more selective and refined.

2. Nunes got rocked by Pena because she threw bombs non stop for 3 mins straight and gassed lol. She isn't going to do do that against Aldana. Aldana's chin has been fine in the UFC, but she hasn't really faced any good, hard hitting strikers like Nunes. The best striker she faced was Holly, who she was completely outclassed by.

3. Look at her record again. Aldana's never done well against any good grapplers, but she hasn't faced any either apart from Evinger, who mauled her easily. The next best she's faced is Chiason, who isn't even that great. Nunes is on a different level to all those girls in terms of grappling. If she wants to get her down and hold her, I think she will.

4. This has nothing to do with anything, really, and doesn't say anything about how Nunes/Aldana will go.

Back