Do you wash your BJJ/ Judo Belt?

My belt is now 3.5 years old,its been training 4 times per week and
it's never been washed.

i wish i could rub it in some of your faces from north-south.

Never wash your belt,it's wrong.

thisbreminds me of one time I was rolling and one of my stripes fell off, the instructor was walking by and saw it on the floor, he then said something along the nes of "oh look a stripe" and proceeded to put it on his belt, everyone had a good laugh about it

So you dont stink like a hobo and get kicked out wasting all your time and tuition in the process? Not like you couldnt throw socks in anyway assuming your already doing laundry loads for rest of your clothes.

The thing i hate about the no belt washers is that it makes you not want to do any moves that include grabing their belt as its so disgusting. I once had a belt mix up and ended up with some dudes belt who NEVER washed it. So disgusting. I had to javex it like 3 times and finnally started to appear somewhat snaitary but had some marks in it still. LOL

i love that you acctually just took me serious lol

Thats hysterical! how long did that take? I had a student who used to super glue his stripes on!

I think I only had stripes for like 4 months at one point, but they never came off in the wash for some reason, and that was a handmedown belt that was ancient.

I use duct tape for my stripes :icon_chee
But that;s not the only reason why I don't wash my belt !
I like to think that my far from being squeaky clean belt shows the time I spend training.
Dumb or not I don't really give a shit :icon_chee I just won't wash my belt :icon_chee

I have never washed a belt..the only one that got pretty dirty was my white. Other than that I try not to keep each belt too long :icon_chee

I trained Gi also as a white Belt but have always favored no gi. These days I train 80-80% no gi so my belt stays pretty clean. I have never had a problem with my belts being dirty or stinky.

Why not just wash the belt and save yourself the trouble? Not washing belts is just asking for skin diseases imo.

Maybe that is why I keep getting ringworm, I have just joined the belt washing group

i get hassled a lot because i wash my belt... it is fading fast too, it is turning white and it i only 1 yr old.

i didnt know that when i am rolling in class, people are concentrating on if my belt is clean or not. i've never wondered how sanitary one's belt is to be honest. can't really tell the belt washers from the non belt washers. probably not going to wash my belt anytime soon

If your belt wears out completely because it has been washed too much, you can just buy another belt.

Belts don't last forever. When you get a black belt, you will have to replace it at some point.

I washed my belt once and everyone gave me shit because apparently I lost all my power.

Here's some info on the topic

True or false?
When martial arts belts were first introduced, training on dirt floors or outside, in time your belt from being kicked, thrown or grappling, the dirt would begin to turn your belt darker in color to a brownish color. The darker the belt, the more training and experience you had, it was like
wearing your experience and knowledge around your waist. If you washed your belt, you would be recognized as a new student and your knowledge and spirit would be washed away.

A beautiful and interesting story, unfortunately, traditionally when the white belt became dirty it was washed. Today because of its belief of this old traditional story and the love of the martial arts, the story has
taken seed in the United States, and today not washing your belt has become not only folklore but a tradition of respect for ones belt and is accepted as fact, and now, an American tradition.

It is nice to share information, enjoy the rest of your day.
Grandmaster Eugene Perceval in New York

To Wash or Not to Wash Your Belt - by Grandmaster Eugene Perceval

Last night, my instructor told a brand new white belt to wash his belt once and never again. I wash my belt and gi after every class and hearing that almost made me swallow my tongue. :icon_chee

ive never washed my belt. maybe one day if it gets enough blood

some of you people are disgusting

do you wear the same underwear every day too? at least that people don't have to touch

I wash mine. As a matter of fact, I washed mine tonight! woo hoo!

Seriously, wash it. It's better than spreading staph in your gym.

usually not but i throw it in once in a while. Now that i hear that washing your belts washes away your knowledge of bjj though i am going to stop. There is a black belt from brazil at my school who emphasizes that he NEVER washes his belt.

Back