Do you think the UFC is the best modern MMA promotion at creating stars?

wolffanghameha

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
People say UFC is bad at creating new stars. But if you had alternate realities and in each one a different promotion had access to 2023 UFC's money, brand awareness and the ability to get any active fighter onto their roster, which promotions do you believe would be better at creating stars than the UFC?

-ONE
-Rizin
-Bellator
-PFL
-KSW
-someone else?

The only one I'd put above UFC is Rizin, because of how popular Pride guys like Fedor, Saku and Cro Cop (maybe he had in-built fame from K1 though) became without trash-talking and within Japan, UFC hasn't matched the attendance numbers of Pride or even Rizin (who have a weak roster).

Are there reasons to say any of the others would do better than the UFC? I heard KSW is maybe bigger than UFC in Poland (despite having a weaker roster), so maybe they could do it?

Provably NO to the title question
Literally any of them to the OP question

The UFC's biggest fights in years were between 2 dudes who made their names elsewhere: Poatan v Izzy or Poatan Jiri

Glory & RIZIN made the UFC's biggest stars, not ther UFC

The manicured pathways to the title for UFC favourites + the denial of titleshots for the obvious best challengers in most divisions means UFC titles are devalued, the shine on the fighters holding the titles is devalued, etc

Fingers crossed PFLator becomes a viable alternative

I'm a bit confused about the question. If these companies had the resources of the UFC they likely wouldn't focus that much on pushing stars, and would try to push their brand, like what the UFC currently does.

If you mean which of these companies is bigger on pushing names over their won title/product then Rizin and KSW do those things. Rizin and KSW have stars who are famous in their regions without needing any hypothetical budget increases.

I think ONE is very star friendly also, or they try to be. They do not a "draw" yet, but it's certainly a show that makes guys the star of the show. They "push" people and de-push people similar to a pro wrestling promotion.

PFL and Bellator are similar to the UFC in that they try to push their brand over all thing else. The PFL in particular tries to market it's seasonal system, so they're very much the opposite of a star based company.

Essentially, companies that are more about putting together fun fights for shits n giggles and spectacles are going to be more star oriented. Companies that put more emphasis on structure, rankings, and titles are going to be more brand oriented.

People say UFC is bad at creating new stars. But if you had alternate realities and in each one a different promotion had access to 2023 UFC's money, brand awareness and the ability to get any active fighter onto their roster, which promotions do you believe would be better at creating stars than the UFC?

-ONE
-Rizin
-Bellator
-PFL
-KSW
-someone else?

The only one I'd put above UFC is Rizin, because of how popular Pride guys like Fedor, Saku and Cro Cop (maybe he had in-built fame from K1 though) became without trash-talking and within Japan, UFC hasn't matched the attendance numbers of Pride or even Rizin (who have a weak roster).

Are there reasons to say any of the others would do better than the UFC? I heard KSW is maybe bigger than UFC in Poland (despite having a weaker roster), so maybe they could do it?

It's the best platform for fighters to become stars, but the UFC itself isn't great at pushing fighters.

I genuinely think that's how Dana sees it: "Here's your platform, kid, make a name for yourself."

But when it comes to promotion, the UFC barely promotes it's own shows, let alone fighters. Some weeks I have absolutely no idea what's coming up the following weekend, and even then there's a matchmaking issue where some really good fighters either get buried on Fight Nights or lost on the prelims of a PPV.

Hard to say because I don't pay as much attention to the other organizations. UFC has the biggest stage so they can create the biggest stars - which doesn't necessarily equate to the best fighters by any means. Also it probably depends on the country you're in. I'm sure in Japan their fan base may say Risin creates more stars. If there were more crossover fights we'd have more stars from other organizations I would think.

UFC is the best but also terrible at this. If other orgs were as big as the UFC, they would have to do next to nothing to be on their level of ability to promote.

It depends what you mean by "creating stars". If you mean exposing a fighter to the largest audience and making them a household name. Then they are likely a few lengths ahead of the field.

But if you mean taking someone from obscurity with limited experience and making them a star. No.

Most of the stars in the UFC so called were champions elsewhere or had a fairly storied career before the goof had them on his lap.

UFC is the best but also terrible at this. If other orgs were as big as the UFC, they would have to do next to nothing to be on their level of ability to promote.
This. If other orgs had UFC money at their disposal, this would be an interesting question. As it stands now, UFC often just picks up established fighters and gives them viewership, but expects them to promote themselves as well. Maybe in the future, if any other org manages to get a stable (and big) operation going, we might have an interesting and competitive situation on our hands. Currently, young fighters dream of signing with the UFC. Not likely to change soon.

UFC’s biggest star is the UFC itself.

ONE seems to be growing it's Muay Thai fighters reputation quite well but not so much on the MMA side.

This. If other orgs had UFC money at their disposal, this would be an interesting question. As it stands now, UFC often just picks up established fighters and gives them viewership, but expects them to promote themselves as well. Maybe in the future, if any other org manages to get a stable (and big) operation going, we might have an interesting and competitive situation on our hands. Currently, young fighters dream of signing with the UFC. Not likely to change soon.

UFC’s biggest star is the UFC itself.
The other orgs do have the same money as the UFC...read the TS.

The other orgs do have the same money as the UFC...read the TS.
I did, but how can you really answer such an “what if” question? That’s why I quoted chinarice who answered it earlier.

The UFC's biggest fights in years were between 2 dudes who made their names elsewhere: Poatan v Izzy or Poatan Jiri

The manicured pathways to the title for UFC favourites + the denial of titleshots for the obvious best challengers in most divisions means UFC titles are devalued, the shine on the fighters holding the titles is devalued, etc

weird those guys u mentioned where unkown before
but well known right now because of the ufc

just weird

They was quite great but still improvements was been needed. This why Sports Pioneer Dana White he was been experimenting tactics to up-boost combatant into superstardom.

Here was Sean Tarzan taking note on how one was building hype for #battle:
manny-chris-scuffle-2.gif

As you can see at the end of this gif here above, the #bluecollarwarrior was laugh and say "whoa that was hella cool maybe I try that too".

Many much opportunity for building star and UFC was in it's infancy with this. I was just happy the formerly alleged dying sport now have sporting event like WWE and the (still) growing sport of Power Slap to leaning on.

#SportsUnity #Comraderie #MenBeingMen

Without checking any rosters or Wikipedia name 20 fighters from these "big star" organizations.

weird those guys u mentioned where unkown before
but well known right now because of the ufc

just weird
no they were known before, just to people who arent casuals.
UFC ensures that casuals know who they are. people who are more into fighting sports are already informed.

It's the best platform for fighters to become stars, but the UFC itself isn't great at pushing fighters.

I genuinely think that's how Dana sees it: "Here's your platform, kid, make a name for yourself."

But when it comes to promotion, the UFC barely promotes it's own shows, let alone fighters. Some weeks I have absolutely no idea what's coming up the following weekend, and even then there's a matchmaking issue where some really good fighters either get buried on Fight Nights or lost on the prelims of a PPV.
You guys spew this nonsense year after year despite just off the top of the head everybody can name basic shit that the UFC promotes their fighters extensively through shit like:

- Trailers
- Posters
- Commercials
- Embebbed
- Countdown
- Youtube specials
- Fight week interviews at the venue/hotel/with ESPN
- Pre-fight press conference
- Post-fight interview
- Post-fight press conference

Etc.

Guys on the 1st fight of the night who nobody gives a flying fuck about still get promotional push.

Dana's absolutely right. The UFC is giving them their platform to make a name. He can shove a microphone and camera in front of these fighters faces and if they say nothing interesting tf do you want him to do about it? If you guys don't give a shit about their interviews tf do you want him to do about it?

You guys complain about WWE, but it sure as fuck sounds like you'd rather the UFC wrote scripts for them.

It depends what you mean by "creating stars". If you mean exposing a fighter to the largest audience and making them a household name. Then they are likely a few lengths ahead of the field.

But if you mean taking someone from obscurity with limited experience and making them a star. No.

Most of the stars in the UFC so called were champions elsewhere or had a fairly storied career before the goof had them on his lap.
Now do the NFL, NBA, NHL, Olympics, and other premier leagues. Going to bitch about NFL players being existing state champs next?

It's almost like the premier league tends to sign people of existing high level instead of having random walk ons.

Back