Social Do you realize your ancestors were black?

Indigenous European Hunter Gatherer are also said to have been dark skinned. But their genetic contribution is tiny (in modern Europeans)
I dunno if indigenous is the right term, as they migrated into those lands like everyone else starting after the ending of the last ice age. Skin tones are also on a spectrum, absence of pale skin doesn't exactly equate to dark or black as some recent politically motivated depictions of WHG would indicate. There is certainly lineage of WHG, EHG, and SHG present in modern Europeans, even with the migration of EEF and Indo Europeans.

I dunno if indigenous is the right term, as they migrated into those lands like everyone else starting after the ending of the last ice age. Skin tones are also on a spectrum, absence of pale skin doesn't exactly equate to dark or black as some recent politically motivated depictions of WHG would indicate. There is certainly lineage of WHG, EHG, and SHG present in modern Europeans, even with the migration of EEF and Indo Europeans.
They are called indigenous because they are believed to be the first anatomically modern humans to inhabit Europe. Native Americans are indigenous to the Americas because they were the first peoples here, even though they obviously came from north east Asia.

Europeans are (mostly) composed of paleolithic indigenous hunter gatherers (WHG & EHG), neolithic Middle Eastern/Anatolian farmers from what is present day Turkey and bronze age steppe pastoralists (Indo-Europeans)

So far I have not seen any refutation that paleolithic European hunter gatherers were not dark skin. They are also said to have blue or light colored eyes. The fair skin is thought to have been introduced by neolithic MiddleEastern / Anatolian farmers.

--

https://www.science.org/content/article/how-europeans-evolved-white-skin

How Europeans evolved white skin Ancient DNA from skeletons shows dramatic natural selection on skin color and height in many Europeans

When it comes to skin color, the team found a patchwork of evolution in different places, and three separate genes that produce light skin, telling a complex story for how European's skin evolved to be much lighter during the past 8000 years. The modern humans who came out of Africa to originally settle Europe about 40,000 years are presumed to have had dark skin, which is advantageous in sunny latitudes. And the new data confirm that about 8500 years ago, early hunter-gatherers in Spain, Luxembourg, and Hungary also had darker skin: They lacked versions of two genes—SLC24A5 and SLC45A2—that lead to depigmentation and, therefore, pale skin in Europeans today.

---

From Phys.org

Blue eyes, it suggests, could come from hunter gatherers in Mesolithic Europe (10,000 to 5,000 BC), while other characteristics arrived later with newcomers from the East.

Last edited:
They are called indigenous because they are believed to be the first anatomically modern humans to inhabit Europe. Native Americans are indigenous to the Americas because they were the first peoples here, even though they obviously came from north east Asia.

Europeans are (mostly) composed of paleolithic indigenous hunter gatherers (WHG & EHG), neolithic Middle Eastern/Anatolian farmers from what is present day Turkey and bronze age steppe pastoralists (Indo-Europeans)

So far I have not seen any refutation that paleolithic European hunter gatherers were not dark skin. They are also said to have blue or light colored eyes. The fair skin is though to have been introduced by neolithic MiddleEastern / Anatolian farmers.
Yeah, I'm more so just pushing back on the concept of "indigenous" in general.

I understand, and stated, the three components in Europeans. You seemed to indicate that hunter gatherer genetic input in modern Europeans wasn't significant, I'd say it is significant, even with the subsequent migrations.

Again, I noted the absence of pale skin in my post. My argument is that this doesn't prove they were "black" as some recent depictions indicate. There is no evidence of them being black, just that they didn't have pale skin. As I said skin tones are on a spectrum, you don't go straight from white to black without shades between.

For example, this Cheddar Man depiction was chosen to give dark black skin with no evidence to support it, and now if you google him this is all that you see:

HWJBUA5BNNFDHK3O22VMIDEFSI.jpg

Yeah, I'm more so just pushing back on the concept of "indigenous" in general.

I understand, and stated, the three components in Europeans. You seemed to indicate that hunter gatherer genetic input in modern Europeans wasn't significant, I'd say it is significant, even with the subsequent migrations.

Again, I noted the absence of pale skin in my post. My argument is that this doesn't prove they were "black" as some recent depictions indicate. There is no evidence of them being black, just that they didn't have pale skin. As I said skin tones are on a spectrum, you don't go straight from white to black without shades between.

For example, this Cheddar Man depiction was chosen to give dark black skin with no evidence to support it, and now if you google him this is all that you see:

HWJBUA5BNNFDHK3O22VMIDEFSI.jpg
I didn't say they were Black and I haven't seen any of the academics claim that either. There are well over a billion people in the world with dark skin who aren't Black. Most South Asians, Indigenous Australians and Melanisians have dark skin, and so do many Amerindians, but they aren't Black.

The papers on European genetic heritage that I read in the past all pegged the Hunter Gatherer DNA as a minor compoent but it depends on which European group you are looking at, with some having minor contribution and others have substantial. I don't have links to the papers at hand right now so just working on memory.

This Guardian paper, which obiviously is not an academic article but is reporting on academic papers, has the H-G contritbution of some European groups as substantial, like 40- 50%. I don't recal such high % from the papers I read many years ago.

The below paper in Nature is the newest paper on paleolithic Europeans, but it does not look at the % of H-G contribution in modern Europeans.

I didn't say they were Black and I haven't seen any of the academics claim that either. There are well over a billion people in the world with dark skin who aren't Black. Most South Asians, Indigenous Australians and Melanisians have dark skin, and so do many Amerindians, but they aren't Black.

The papers on European genetic heritage that I read in the past all pegged the Hunter Gatherer DNA as a minor compoent but it depends on which European group you are looking at, with some having minor contribution and others have substantial. I don't have links to the papers at hand right now so just working on memory.

This Guardian paper, which obiviously is not an academic article but is reporting on academic papers, has the H-G contritbution of some European groups as substantial, like 40- 50%. I don't recal such high % from the papers I read many years ago.

The below paper in Nature is the newest paper on paleolithic Europeans, but it does not look at the % of H-G contribution in modern Europeans.
Yeah, you weren't specifically stating that, but believe me there is a push for that narrative out there. I've been debating people online over it for the last few years. The thread we are in right now seems to insinuate that as well.

The WHG contribution is less than that of the Anatolian Farmers and Indo Europeans, however it's still a decent chunk. They also contributed to the Anatolian Farmer DNA.

I'm not sure how up to date this particular chart is but it's a good visual:

genetic%2Bcontributions.jpg

Yeah, you weren't specifically stating that, but believe me there is a push for that narrative out there. I've been debating people online over it for the last few years. The thread we are in right now seems to insinuate that as well.

The WHG contribution is less than that of the Anatolian Farmers and Indo Europeans, however it's still a decent chunk. They also contributed to the Anatolian Farmer DNA.

I'm not sure how up to date this particular chart is but it's a good visual:

genetic%2Bcontributions.jpg

The papers I recall had the H-G component being a minor component, like the blue bars in your first image. The overwhelming majority of DNA was Farmer and Steppe pastoralists.

The issue is that it is popular in rightwing circles to attribute civilization with intelligence. They point to the lack of ancient civilizations in some parts of the world as proof of the backwardness of some people. If we acceot their 'theory' that cold climates produced intelligent people then the proponents of this delayed-gratification 'theory' need to explain why civilization arose in warm climates.
I agree that if someone has the set of presuppositions you described and tries to use it as proof of backwardness of people they are wrong. Not sure exactly how popular this theory is though.

Last edited:
The papers I recall had the H-G component being a minor component, like the blue bars in your first image. The overwhelming majority of DNA was Farmer and Steppe pastoralists.
Minor when comparing those 3, but still significant I'd argue, certainly in more areas than others.

You also have to remember both the Anatolian Farmers and Proto-Indo Europeans have lineage from those groups as well. The Yamnaya for example are EHG+CHG.

thats going to be awkward. My Great grandfather was a Police inspector South Africa

So far I have not seen any refutation that paleolithic European hunter gatherers were not dark skin. They are also said to have blue or light colored eyes. The fair skin is thought to have been introduced by neolithic MiddleEastern / Anatolian farmers.

--

https://www.science.org/content/article/how-europeans-evolved-white-skin

How Europeans evolved white skin Ancient DNA from skeletons shows dramatic natural selection on skin color and height in many Europeans

When it comes to skin color, the team found a patchwork of evolution in different places, and three separate genes that produce light skin, telling a complex story for how European's skin evolved to be much lighter during the past 8000 years. The modern humans who came out of Africa to originally settle Europe about 40,000 years are presumed to have had dark skin, which is advantageous in sunny latitudes. And the new data confirm that about 8500 years ago, early hunter-gatherers in Spain, Luxembourg, and Hungary also had darker skin: They lacked versions of two genes—SLC24A5 and SLC45A2—that lead to depigmentation and, therefore, pale skin in Europeans today.

---

From Phys.org

Blue eyes, it suggests, could come from hunter gatherers in Mesolithic Europe (10,000 to 5,000 BC), while other characteristics arrived later with newcomers from the East.

So the indigenous and anatolian component is likely dark skin while the indo european component is known to be light skin?
This would mean that europeans were darker until the indo europeans conquered it all around 3000 BC?

So the indigenous and anatolian component is likely dark skin while the indo european component is known to be light skin?
This would mean that europeans were darker until the indo europeans conquered it all around 3000 BC?
The indigenous Western Hunter Gatherer was likely dark skinned (but had blue eyes).
The MiddleEastern / Anatolian farmers were light skinned.

Hunter-Gatherer = Paleolithic
Middle Eastern / Anatolian farmer = Neolithic
Steppe pastoralists (Indo Europeans) = Bronze Age.

So Europeans became light skinned several thousand years before the Indo-Europeans from the Steppes invaded Europe.

The indigenous Western Hunter Gatherer was likely dark skinned (but had blue eyes).
The MiddleEastern / Anatolian farmers were light skinned.

Hunter-Gatherer = Paleolithic
Middle Eastern / Anatolian farmer = Neolithic
Steppe pastoralists (Indo Europeans) = Bronze Age.

So Europeans became light skinned several thousand years before the Indo-Europeans from the Steppes invaded Europe.
And are these 3 groups widely recognised in the scientific community or is it still some kind of theory? If i am not mistaken the middle eastern farmer notion is relatively new?

And are these 3 groups widely recognised in the scientific community or is it still some kind of theory? If i am not mistaken the middle eastern farmer notion is relatively new?
This is widely recognized and backed up by genetics. The spread of Indo-Europeans is where a lot of our languages come from as well.

13575727_604430059719687_5704659768586234958_o.jpg

One interesting aspect about the Anatolian Farmers - Modern Sardinian's are almost completely composed of their DNA, they obviously don't live in a cold northern climate being smack dab in the middle of the Mediterranean, and they have very light skin.

Well I was really good at basketball as a kid and got hooked on Black and Milds in the military.

<mma4>

There are some debate on when the groups moved, what routes, how many waves. But in there is no debate about the three basic groups, who got where first and so on.
Archaeogenetics as a scientific field is getting very advanced and is evolving rapidly.
BTW. "Is it still some kind of theory"?? Learn the use of theory in science

There are some debate on when the groups moved, what routes, how many waves. But in there is no debate about the three basic groups, who got where first and so on.
Archaeogenetics as a scientific field is getting very advanced and is evolving rapidly.
BTW. "Is it still some kind of theory"?? Learn the use of theory in science

Lol at being condescending for no reason. We are not lecturing some think tank here. If you don‘t grasp the intent behind „is this still some kind of theory“ then that s on you m8.

Back