Do you need calories when eating high protein?

7even

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I wondering if you can maintain muscle or build it if you're consuming enough protein with out the calories. I got this mega size bucket of Isopure protein with zero carbs. Two scoops is 50 grams of protein but with only 210 calories.

So I wondering if you can maintain muscle or build it if you're consuming enough protein with out the calories. I got this mega size bucket of Isopure protein with zero carbs. Two scoops is 50 grams of protein but with only 210 calories.

Hmmmmm, you do understand the difference between calories and carbs right?

You do know protein has a calorie value???

Hmmmmm, you do understand the difference between calories and carbs right?

You do know protein has a calorie value???

I think he's referring to the fact that many claim you need high caloric intake to gain weight/build muscle or whatever, and he's wondering if he eats high protein low carb if he can still build or maintain muscle without a big caloric surplus in his diet.

What would happen if I ate 200 grams of protein but with only 840 calories per day?

I'm six feet tall, at 195 pounds. I don't know my body fat percentage, but I do have a six pack, so maybe 12 percent...

I think he's referring to the fact that many claim you need high caloric intake to gain weight/build muscle or whatever, and he's wondering if he eats high protein low carb if he can still build or maintain muscle without a big caloric surplus in his diet.
You are correct.

What would happen if I ate 200 grams of protein but with only 840 calories per day?

I'm six feet tall, at 195 pounds. I don't know my body fat percentage, but I do have a six pack, so maybe 12 percent...

You'd lose weight - both fat and muscle. You can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time but only at or near maintenance calories. A 200 cal deficit worked for me. However it doesn't work when you're already trained and have low BF. Works best when youre new and fatty.

For one you will be starving and it will be harmful to your body. Yes you'll drop fat, but will lose muscle as well. I went down that path once, and it was terrible, nothing good came out of it. Also you will feel very terrible, protein is a terrible energy source. Carbs is the dominant one, followed by fats. Using protein as a primary energy source is like going to work and instead of getting paid in money, you get paid in gasoline gift cards. Maybe you can trade it with someone willing to give you money, but its likely that won't happen.

For your OP, find your TDEE (maintenance based on activity level), if you want to lose weight (fat), subtract 500 from that number. Assuming based on your stats, your TDEE may be from 2500-3000, depending on how active you are.

Usually for macro-nutrient partitioning a pretty cooker cutter is:
-protein at 1g / bodyweight
-fats at 0.35g / bodyweight
-fill the rest up with carbs

So using 2500 as an example
195g protein
70g fat (rounded up)
273g carbs
35-42g fibre (up to you, generally 14-17g/1000 cals)

When cutting keep your protein high, its the time when your body is on a downhill, so higher protein is needed to maintain muscle. The point is to trim off the fat, and keep a tight leash on muscle. 1g/bw is fine, I feel less is too low imo.

Back