Do you know how to use a sewing machine?

No back stitch at the beginning or end of the threads, those stitches are gonna come apart real easy.
I had to fix my Fruit of the Loom at home jersey shorts for this after the stitching fell apart.

Yes. I'm not great at it by any means as I have little practice, but I'm good enough to repair a shirt or pair of pants. I've repaired plenty of articles of clothing via hand sewing as well. I've been meaning to practice with it more so that I can attempt to reupholster a leather seat myself instead of paying someone $1K to do it for me.
Machine sewing seems more secure especially after having to take it apart after mistakes. Some materials are better hand sewn because they slip around too much using machine.

First check if your nearby middle school will let you sit in on home ec classes when they cover sewing. Never heard of that though, so maybe disguise yourself as a female exchange student.

If you google the make and model of the sewing machine and user manual pdf, there's a great website with pdfs of various sewing machines. I didn't seem to bookmark it. You need this to know what bobbins, parts, etc. you need for the machine. You can't just use any random bobbin and the bobbin itself doesn't exactly say on it what model # it is. Wrong bobbin will mean loose tangled stitching.

Youtube has short videos showing how to thread the machine, etc. Sometimes the manual's illustration isn't clear enough.

The machine should have a dial or something to adjust thread tension, but first you have to thread the machine properly to begin with. Bad thread tension will mean bunched tangled stitching especially underneath and could jam the needle.

There's such thing as different needles. One will pierce and cut and one is supposed to have a blunt head for pushing the fabric weaving threads aside rather than cutting into it. I'd suggest wearing at least safety glasses because the needles can break and fly.

The machine should have another dial to control stitch length and another for straight dotted line or zig zag. When I look at stitching on clothes, there must be some special trick needle for special zig zag with straight on each side. Might be a double parallel needle.

Machine should also have something to press and hold to stitch in reverse to lock down the beginning and end of the stitching. I always start by stitching reverse a tiny bit, then going forward like normal. Sometimes I start by reverse zig zag, then forward regular straight dotted line so the straight will better grip the zig zag anchor.

I only know how to use old machines like in school or at home. Modern machines might be easier to use. The sewing video clips I've seen have the machine running slowly and smoothly, but what I use is more like wild bull riding in one fast berserk speed. No idea how to fix that with the pedal or machine adjustment.

I do not.

I know how to "manually" sew...but havent had to do it for a decade.

Came in to laugh at sowing. Realised that a bunch of sherbros are into it. Also it reminded me that I can't do shit with my hands. Excepr jerking off.
Back in the day I got a Combat Sambo patch from the team I was on and I wanted to put on my jacket.

I COULD ask my mom or sister to do it but I couldnt wait so I figured out how to do it on my own.

Back in the day I got a Combat Sambo patch from the team I was on and I wanted to put on my jacket.

I COULD ask my mom or sister to do it but I couldnt wait so I figured out how to do it on my own.
You did combat sambo? That s pretty cool.

Reactions: HHJ
I am super rustled. You like in NY IIRC and did sambo.

I live in Germany which has a massive former Soviet diaspora and never found sambo in the cities I lived in.

Reactions: HHJ
I am super rustled. You like in NY IIRC and did sambo.

I live in Germany which has a massive former Soviet diaspora and never found sambo in the cities I lived in.
There are two schools one in manhattan and one in Staten Island. They were here before it was cool. Also in brighton beach there is alot of stuff but you really have to commit yourself to being like the only non russian in there hahahah

There are two schools one in manhattan and one in Staten Island. They were here before it was cool. Also in brighton beach there is alot of stuff but you really have to commit yourself to being like the only non russian in there hahahah
Where there some Caucasians in there or only ethnic Russians?

Where there some Caucasians in there or only ethnic Russians?
In Manhattan you had all sorts. You had alot of people cross training from jiujitsu or Muay thai schools. But if you go to Brighton Beach it's a different story. All Russians there.

My Mom was an expert seamstress/Dress maker. So while I can follow the schematic to thread the machine and join material with it, I also know I ain't shit relative to someone who actually knows how to sew.

Multiple Asian Tailors in my area. Try searching that community for a new upholsterer.

You know, I could probably figure out sewing stuff by trial and error, but I actually took the time to learn how to hand sew basic things like buttons and fixing seams.

It's been handy several times over the past few years. Plus, I figure it might even come in clutch one day if I ever find myself needing to patch up a wound in a survival situation. Of course, stitching up clothes is a bit different from stitching up skin, but hey, you never know when those skills might come in handy!
I have stitched and stapled skin on myself. Not all that different than sewing up a hole in a shirt, just that the hole was my skin and the shirt was my leg.

I have a friend who is a nurse, he looked at the scar and said he would never have known it wasn't done by a hospital nurse/dr.

I just can't get used to the pedal. I keep going into turbo mode

Our one and only upholsterer at work quit and I needed to stitch velcro onto a leather tool bag. I've been watching beginner tutorials all morning on Youtube. They make it look so easy, but even just the starting process of threading the machine is insanely complicated. There's so much into it. My thread keeps popping out, the lines aren't straight, and a million other little things.

We got a professional industrial machine, I was thinking of getting a beginner one from Amazon that isn't as complicated.

Find the nearest woman and hand iit off to her

I've modified a lot of my own tactical and backpacking gear to suit me, but it took a lot of fighting the machine to get it done.

Find the nearest woman and hand iit off to her
This. Her natural instincts will kick in and she won't be able to help immediate sowing that shit up.

Remember how in Leprechaun Warwick Davis had to polish every leather shoe he came across? Pretty much the same thing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back