Do you eat the fat from meat?

Beggars don't choose, I eat everything on the plate. Ain't no snowflake.

Depends on the fat, and if it's rendered or not. Rendered fat is yummy!

Damned straight! Ribeye is my favorite steak cut and I go with a lovely "reverse sear" method to render that fat cap before I sear it. Even when I trim briskets I'll cut off a ton of exterior fat, but I'll put it in a pan in my smoker and render that fat down and that gives me some excellent tallow to use when I cook.

I no longer eat meat, however when I did the fat was my favorite part.

I don’t. I think it is disgusting and not to mention unhealthy. I have quite a few friends that enjoy it. I don’t mean the marbling part of the steak because that portion is actually good. The only fat that is worthwhile eating is from pork belly.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don´t

The taste is MAGA

carne+assada+com+gordura+.jpg

Too much technical information and very little practical info, cooking meat should be easy. I think cuts are harder and I only do coal grill. Just get the whole piece of meat there, sear, cut the steaks and finish them on the coal.

Its very idiot proof and its mostly about good cattle, not even going to say the cut but some cuts fair better for coal grill.

A flank or something just won't do. It'll suck.
This is where I take umbrage right off the bat, because you can take a shitty cut of meat and cook it right. We take butt scraps, pound them and marinate them and they sell like crazy for roughly about 4$ an ounce fully plated. Yes, I prefer a NY any day of the week, but to say that flank "Sucks" inherently is stupid. Flank has a marvelous variety of uses and possibilities and is even good well done if you have the proper marbling. Stupid comment.

Let it sit out long enough to get to room temperature. This will ensure that it cooks through the steak evenly without having to warm up cold areas in the middle. Let it sit out with a paper towel or something on each side to absorb the excess moisture. When done, rub it down with a paper towel to get the moisture.
This is not complete broscience or bullshit and I get asked this a lot so I wont berate you for thinking it to be the rule, I will just say what I say to anyone asking for my education or advice..."It Depends"
It depends on the cut, first and foremost as steak has a very high water content in some cuts and others not as much. There is also the marbling question, as fat is roughly 10-15% water compared to muscle's 75-87% muscle. So a flap of teris major is going to inherently have more water than a waigu rib of course. As for "Room temperture...what is room temp? 80, 90 degrees? For some cuts with a strip of fat along the loin, the prime temperature for me is 60-70 degrees F. Sometimes for bigger cuts (ie a giant flank), with a medium minimum i'll warm it to close to 90 degrees if it has a vinegar/herb based crust. For Medium rare however, i will attack it stone fucking cold at ~40 degrees F.

The "Cold areas in the middle" part is where you're drastically wrong. That has all to do with your cooking surface. An even distribution of heat is what will warm the middle up, once again, depending on the cut. If you want the middle "Hot", which baffles me actually as it's not supposed to be "hot" which is the point of a sear, you need the middle in hottest concentration of heat and if the cut is proper and even, the rest of it will follow. Bad steaks have one thing in common: The sides are more cooked than the middle, and that doesn't have to do with getting the steak to "Room Temp", it has to do with cooking surface.

Also, I don't get this "moisture" part...the whole point of a sear is to LOCK IN myoglobin. Muscle is porous, meaning it will absorb and exude moisture. That's why you marinate lean cuts, and also why marbling of beef matters in determining the flavorful merits of a cut. Remember, fat is only 10% water, meaning when it renders, it secretes oils and acids into the porous muscle. So your point about "getting moisture out" is not scientifically inaccarute, it's just kinds of stupid. It's why we dry age beef, we're suspending the animation of the myoglobin and water. The cooking process is designed to push water out, yes, but for a medium rare steak with a solid sear, the object is to retain as much myoglobin as is possible.

So why are you "Getting the moisture"?

Use your broiler. This is better than a grill for a few reasons. One is that it heats from the top instead of the bottom. This means that the juices stay infused into the steak instead of leaking out of the bottom.

This is actually not true in all cases, but probably true for TS' situation, but most top-down broilers have an induction element at the bottom that reflects heat and generates mass amounts of fire power, anywhere from 1200-1600 degrees.
The problem with all broilers is that they rely on direct induction and create a vacuum, so your meat dries very very quickly. It's a good tool, but i prefer the pan and bake method.

When you take it out, rub butter over the top. It will melt in and infuse with the steak, enriching the fat and umami flavors. This is key. Don't cheap out and use cheap butter substitutes!!

Okay, this was just obnoxious. First of all, any cut of meat is EXTREMELY delicate when it's done and should not be rubbed, pressed or touched if avoidable, so "Rubbing" butter on it is stupid. If you would like a pat of butter on it, go for it, but it will not "infuse" in the cut that you cooked in hot fire. The cooking process involves taking porous muscle, burning it until the muscles seize up and push as much water out as possible, and after that, they're literally dying and the cell walls are broken and not absorbing anything.

You using the word "Umami" there is so cringe, putting a glob of fat on a steak is not "Umami"

All-in-all 4/10 post, you got a couple things half right but for the most part you're the guy at the gym saying bringing the bar down to your chest is bad for your shoulders. Yeah, probably, but it's fucking my 1 rep max up and that's the endgame.

Which leads me to this uncalled for crime against cuisine

Fuck no.

This is what @Dinotective did:
He took a crappy pan that isn't fit to get hot, kept it too cold, and placed the bottom tip of the steak on the area of the pan with the highest concentration of heat. That already is a death sentence for any bone-in cut. The bone should never be around the ridge of the pan, ever.

The Bone is either the coldest part or the hottest part of a cut. When it is stagnant, meaning the marrow is not activated by any outside heat source, it probably close to freezing. The water content in bone is close to 40% and the water content of marrow varies, but it's usually on a ratio bone density (source https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15599288), so when it goes live it gets hot and heats the protein around it QUICKLY.

And that is precisely why you must cook the bone first and ever last, because the internal swelling of heat will push a medium rare to close to a medium well in a couple of minutes.

So what this guy did was cook the shit out of the tip, keep the bone cold, then char the bone after the sear time-line was done. Look at the rubbery wet protein around the left corner, it's only heat source was the bone, as it was cooked on the and the protein couldn't touch the heat squarely. He also undoubtedly lost a lot of pan heat when he flipped it and overcompensated by turning the heat up.

A fatty cut, especially with a bone, should never be black around the tip. It means straight up dead meat that never had time to have its fat rendered internally because the protein was killed first and the water was seeped out due to a lack of a proper sear. The steak is also overcooked, by Medium standard, it's completely seized up and myoglobin is escape because of the internal heat from the bone (you can reference my take on the other post). You can tell by the pat of butter not rendering quickly.

Not a good steak. Most Bone cuts should be done on the grill for the reasons i've pointed out, as it's easier to place them in different heated positions, starting with the bone in the absolute hottest spot, but if you're gonna do the home cook thing and pan sear it, you should go the way of this guy

Night and day from what we're looking at here and probably about 12 degress F cooler, which is right about where a perfect cut should be cooked. I definitely wouldn't post or brag about a cut so crappy and act like I know what I'm doing. If I were served that I would be very upset.

I never used to, but now I do. We're made out of fat and protein. Eat what you are.

You realize thats not my photo you dumb bitch or nah? Second Ive forgotten more kitchen tricks than youll ever know in your fucking life son. You have no idea who I am but take fucking notice I didnt cook for Dennys and Ive never done fast casual! I quit the industry on the counter of either going to grad school or finally opening my own place with ZERO of my own capital. Had two offers to open an upscale in a major market in the hottest year of the industry in that market. I chose the lesser of two evils because if I had to drag some asshole who staged at whoever the fucks for a year but couldnt saute worth a shit in the walkin one more time Id have committed murder! I still make lesser cooks cry and I havent been in a kitchen full time in 6 years as of April!

{<jimmies}

Too much technical information and very little practical info, cooking meat should be easy.
Its extremely easy if you know what youre doing, you guys are just too lazy to actually learn anything and actually get good at something so you half ass it and go "well it should be easy"
Trust me, i do it thousands of times a week, its literally the easiest thing i do and i do it better than all of you

Its extremely easy if you know what youre doing, you guys are just too lazy to actually learn anything and actually get good at something so you half ass it and go "well it should be easy"
Trust me, i do it thousands of times a week, its literally the easiest thing i do and i do it better than all of you

So you are a cook and grill better than people that do it once a month wow

Impressive!

Are you familiar with this book?

ZkorCSC.jpg

Got it for Christmas and it seems to dispel a lot of the cooking Bro Science

So you are a cook and grill better than people that do it once a month wow

Impressive!
Sorry man, but he's right. Cooking is very technical. If someone is going to brag about their credentials and how they make lesser cooks cry, all the while praising a picture of an absolutely fucked up looking steak, they deserve to know just how ignorant and below real cooks they are.

Natural fats like that are actually healthy and your body does need it.

You may wonder isn't fat bad for you, but your body needs some fat from food. It's a major source of energy. It helps you absorb some vitamins and minerals. Fat is needed to build cell membranes, the vital exterior of each cell, and the sheaths surrounding nerves. It is essential for blood clotting, muscle movement, and inflammation.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-truth-about-fats-bad-and-good

You should educate yourself a bit on nutrition.
Wait, what? You claim it's good for you but your article clearly says saturated fat leads to increased cholesterol which can lead to heart issues. Not all fats are created equal

Youve got a join date 5 years younger than mine and 7k more posts. Ill b over here continuing to do baller shit thanks!
Sherdogging is a hobby of mine, not sure how your low post count makes you better than anyone, because you're still a member just like everyone else.

But please, continue to validate yourself with "making lesser chefs cry" and praising a steak that looks like it was cooked on a hot plate in West Virginia

Sherdogging is a hobby of mine, not sure how your low post count makes you better than anyone, because you're still a member just like everyone else.

But please, continue to validate yourself with "making lesser chefs cry" and praising a steak that looks like it was cooked on a hot plate in West Virginia
I didnt praise shit, I didnt even qualify the og picture. You on the other hand throw mad shit at my comment like you're a somebody, know me from any ole somebody on the street and now Im the asshole. FUUUUCK YOU! Get better hobbies, or at least stay off my posts!

I didnt praise shit, I didnt even qualify the og picture. You on the other hand throw mad shit at my comment like you're a somebody, know me from any ole somebody on the street and now Im the asshole. FUUUUCK YOU! Get better hobbies, or at least stay off my posts!
Oh yeah, my bad, you didn't talk about the picture.

You're still gay tho

Are you familiar with this book?

ZkorCSC.jpg

Got it for Christmas and it seems to dispel a lot of the cooking Bro Science

I have that book. It's very good and dispels the myth that searing locks in juices.

A lot of the recipes/articles originally came from seriouseats and can be read for free. Steak one.

I have that book. It's very good and dispels the myth that searing locks in juices.

A lot of the recipes/articles originally came from seriouseats and can be read for free. Steak one.

It also dispelled the myth of only flipping steaks and chops once or as little as possible.

Honestly I've only read some of the steaks and chops section.

Gotta start experimenting more with it.

Back