Do you call close family friends Uncle and Aunty?

Did you call your parents friends uncle and aunty?

• Total voters
I call them bro or brah depending on gender.

Never. I also never call a dog's owner his mom or his dad.

I'm a stickler for accuracy in family labeling.

I am half Filipino so I was raised to do that. I still do it to this day with family friends and acquaintances. I just look at it as a sign of respect.

hell no u gotta earn that title thru hours of long painful labor

Oh I guess that’s the same rule that applies in Sri Lanka, and is how id see it, cept now I just find it weird saying uncle/aunty to anyone that isn’t really old or actually family, maybe it’s the Aussie side of me, or maybe it’s an age thing. Not sure.

So you still say uncle and aunty?
Yes.

As a kid, there were certain close family friends that got addressed as uncle and auntie.

Some I didn't realise we weren't actually related until I was older.

Tio or tia for the Latino side of my family and now that I live in Asia pretty Munich for everyone that is older than me significantly.

As a kid, there were certain close family friends that got addressed as uncle and auntie.

Some I didn't realise we weren't actually related until I was older.
Lol, that sense of realisation and you think ‘hmmmm why did my parents bamboozle me?’

Tio or tia for the Latino side of my family and now that I live in Asia pretty Munich for everyone that is older than me significantly.
Yeah right, so even after you moved to Asia you adopted this kinda thing? That’s pretty cool and good of you. Good assimilation buds.

Yeah right, so even after you moved to Asia you adopted this kinda thing? That’s pretty cool and good of you. Good assimilation buds.
Part of it was just nessecity I was bad at the language and it was easier st first to call people auntie and uncle.

Part of it was just nessecity I was bad at the language and it was easier st first to call people auntie and uncle.
i think im going to start to pick it up again.

its funny, so friends of mine that have spent alot of time being born in sri lanka and school and growing up, despite them living abroad wether it here in australia, europe or america, they still use uncle and aunty all the time, but that seems to be what they are familiar with having been born in sri lanka and having spent alot of time growing up there.

When I was younger I did. I notice I do the same with my son. Almost everyone is uncle or aunty to him unless it's someone working at his preschool.

Nope. I call the Korean lady who owns the gas station Mamasan though. She hugs me all the time.

Went with Yes, as my nephew does it with 3 of my sister's friends, not something I ever recall doing though

Back