Do You Believe In Solipsism? What If Everything Is Just An Illusion?

I actually entertain the idea of solipsism once in a while. It is technically impossible to disprove (like all other philosophies).

Like my good pal, @Only Here for Attachments said: I also feel like sometimes others are orchestrating to fuck with me... On certain days. I just think "meh" this is a computer simulation, I'm the main character, and everyone else is programmed to be an asshole. Lmao. Call it narcissism *shrugs*.

What if the world is one large illusion created for your own sake? What if no one else, not even your family and friends, is real?

I don't know what the purpose on the part of the creator/programmer would be, but has anyone ever pondered the chance of this being reality? (And I know how awkward it must be to ask this, because if it WERE true, that means none of you would actually be sentiment beings that were even able to ponder this to begin with, but still.)
This wouldn't foster necessary empathy.

In a way, it's true. They, and everything, disappear when you die.

No one intelligent actually believes life is an illusion. If you think that's true, just in front of a moving train.

Double yellows, be cool brother... be cool...

a-man-embraces-his-friend-who-is-crying-for-comfort_4qixqditx__F0000.png

To paraphrase, Descartes open his Meditations with the frustration, 'Every time we humans think we have come up with an idea that is fundamentally true, inevitably, every damn time, we end up learning something years or even centuries later that overturns that belief, and throws into question everything else we believed because of it.' He saw this as the shortcoming of science despite its power. He wanted to figure out thought so pure and true and unshakeable that no future discovery could possibly threaten its truth. The problem was where to start. He questioned everything single thing that he experienced: every sensation and belief. He was consummately cynical.

He realized that every taste, touch, smell, sight, or sound he had ever experienced might itself be an illusion. He couldn't trust even his own senses, experiences, memories. He thought some Great Demon might be the engineer of the entire universe-- that it was all an illusion designed to ensnare his soul. In modern times, due to the rise of computers and string theory, we have begun to wonder if our own universe is nothing more than a simulation being run by some greater Being the way we run experiments or simulations in order to better understand our own universe.

Not sure if you're a Rick and Morty fan, but one of the reasons hardcore fans like myself esteem this show as elevated art derives from how they weave these culturally defining philosophical ideas into episodes so effortlessly and seamlessly. In typical fashion, the show took this idea to its nihilistic, sardonic extreme in the episode where Rick introduces Morty to the arcade game "Roy" where you simulate an entire lifetime just to see what your score is. No, it's not even a Great Demon after your soul. That would have meaning: an epic clash of Good & Evil. No, your entire life could be a consumerist throwaway for (what many consider to be the lowest brow form of) entertainment. That's how meaningless this all might be. Freaking hilarious. Brilliant.

Back to Descartes, in doubting the very existence of his loved ones, and himself, he realized the one and only truth that he could not unravel was the fact that he was thinking in the first place. The very act of thinking confirmed his existence. "I am a thinking thing", IIRC, was his mantra.

That became his first step. That is solipsism; not the consideration that life is an illusion, but the belief that you can't be certain of anything beyond yourself by virtue of your own self-consciousness.
Awesome. Much appreciated, i have some research to do. Rick and Morty is the shit BTW

Well really the only things I am sure of are myself and God (my concept of God), the only things one can be sure of are the existence of oneself (what oneself is is a different matter) and that you were created by something as you are not a God type entity/force.
That doesn't mean that nothing else exists, just that everything else is a matter of probability and not certainty, especially as we observe the world through imperfect senses and imperfect minds.

I used to listen to Nine Inch Nails too. Then I grew up and realized they suck. They are all image over substance. It's just marketing.
They are a good group and do not suck. You might not like them now. But trent is talented in his own way. Enough derailing though, since you do not really exist, and are here merely for my enjoyment

No philosophy is edgier for existential 14 year olds than solipsism.

Solipsism is false, embodiment is true, and more likley than not, the other subjects that constitute my identity and make up reality are real.

If I really am the only mind in the Universe, that means I am responsible for The Last Jedi.

This is proof enough to me that there are other minds at work here.

This thread for dummies : Is your life taking place in a Sims game for higher entities?

One idea that I think would be cool is if everything IS an illusion and you're the only one that's real, and when you die you'll wake up in another reality where the "programmers" reveal everything to you. Maybe they'll cherish you with your own personal paradise? I know it's a long shot and I'm going off the rails with this one now, but it's something to think about.

One idea that I think would be cool is if everything IS an illusion and you're the only one that's real, and when you die you'll wake up in another reality where the "programmers" reveal everything to you. Maybe they'll cherish you with your own personal paradise? I know it's a long shot and I'm going off the rails with this one now, but it's something to think about.

Putting computers in the bible would have made it so much more real.

Well really the only things I am sure of are myself and God (my concept of God), the only things one can be sure of are the existence of oneself (what oneself is is a different matter) and that you were created by something as you are not a God type entity/force.
That doesn't mean that nothing else exists, just that everything else is a matter of probability and not certainty, especially as we observe the world through imperfect senses and imperfect minds.

How can you be sure that there is a self? When you introspect all you have access to is memories, feelings, emotions and thoughts that come and go, there is nothing constant and fixed which could be said to be the self. If you can't define what the self is then how can you even know that it is?

You concede that our minds and senses are imperfect, how can you be certain, or sure as you say, that there is a God? Couldn't this be an error due to our imperfect minds and senses?

Back