Do you all agree McGregor has been the most influential fighter in MMA history ??

He has definitely influenced his bank account. Made some other fighters talk a bit more smack perhaps (although Chael and many others were doing that long before him). I don't think Conor has been all that influential, to be honest.

Royce Gracie, Ronda and Gina (basically created mainstream WMMA), Chuck Liddell were way more influential than him IMO

What/who did he influence ?

He is the most popular, biggest name fighter in the history of the sport

What did he influence tho ? The sport is unchanged, media perception of it is unchanged, he didn’t bring in new fans, most of his casual fans only watch his fights and have no clue about mma

OMFG, no. I'll take Troll, Padawan, or Just Stupid for $500, Alex.

Most influential fighter in MMA history? Fucking easy.

royce.jpg

Runners-up? Also easy.

griffinbonnar.0.jpg

Most popular, sure. But not most influential.

The UFC would still be around if mcgregor never started fighting.

Yes, he probably is..

And I say that as someone, who doesn't respect him much.

But TS, it's a question ripped out of context.. This achievement isn't that great as it sounds..

- he jumped on when UFC branch was most famous
- in an age, when social media are most powerful (instagram/twitter/other shit) and you can't deny that his activity on social media helped his success a lot

Who has changed the whole scene more than McGregor?
check my second response. I noted plenty of fighters who did more for MMA and changed the landscape.... for the better that is.

Here, I will quote myself:

there are plenty of fighters that you can pick from.
Fedor would be one of the top of my list.
A guy who was able to become the emperor, adored by almost anyone who saw his dominance in pride; respected and accepted as GOAT by 99% of fighters at that time as well, you don't get to become a personal friend of Putin by being obnoxious or dodging title shots.

If you want more names, we got the gracies (obviously). We wouldn't be watching MMA if not for them. I would even add Forrest & Bonnar. UFC wouldn't exist if not for them.

If you want to go in a different direction, like Silva & GSP who were responsible for the huge spark of popularity in US and around the world, you could go with them as well.

If you only want to go with popularity, I would go with Ronda, because not only she opened way for women in the UFC, but she actually had a fucking reign at the top, with multiple title defenses, and outside the cage, (even) Beyonce quoted her stupid quotes showing the level of influence she had.

And beyond that, there were plenty of fighters that were popular beyond the scope of MMA. The Nog brothers for example. Adored in Japan and the father of MMA for all brazilian fighters. You have Wandi, Vitor, Rua, etc... and in US, you have Guys like Randy whom his status in MMA is far beyond what he accomplished in the ring (heck his record is very unimpressive, but his status is as one of the greats mostly for who he was rather than who he beat) among many others...

I mean, If you think of Conor, he got a lot more flash than substance.
Undeserving title shots. No title defenses. Forfeited both belts. Lost to journeymen that had no camp, etc.
He is obnoxious and loud beyond everything, but that does not mean influential in MMA. Matter of fact, most fighters hate him, and he did NOTHING good for the game. If anything most of the things he changed were for the worse, and this is why I don't consider him to be (even close) to the top of the list.

Last edited:
MMA was just as big before he headlined I would say.
He didn't really change the game either, except maybe in the long run it will be good for fighters to wake up a bit and demand more, instead of accepting shit contracts and whine about it in private, hint at it with showing how poor they are, while never saying anything publicly. McGregor getting a lot of special treatment and making bank + UFC selling for 4 billion probably helped with that.

Who has changed the whole scene more than McGregor?

The whole scene wouldn't even exist except for Royce Gracie.

The only way McGregor could match Royce would be to found a brand new organization that became the number one MMA organization in the world, while simultaneously introducing to the world a new style that almost no one had heard of but that was indispensable to MMA. That is, he'd have to be the figure head and absolute champ (with no weight divisions) of a brand new organization, and introduce something new to MMA which was as vital to MMA as BJJ was. I don't see that happening.

The question could be better put: who, besides the original founders of the UFC, changed the whole scene more than McGregor? And a case could definitely be made for him in that case. You can never have greater influence than the original founder - without them there's simply nothing to influence.

Royce gracie, kimbo slice, ronda rousey, conor mcgregor

these four.

but it probably is between Ronda and Conor...

The only retard here are Conor nutsuckers like you, that throw a hissy fit just because someone don't think he is the best on all aspects of life.
he isn't kid, and you gotta learn to deal with it.

Just saying he's not, while ignoring everything that argues he is isn't really convincing. Give examples, argue the point, rather than the constant crying. However, if you're a child, I guess it's okay to just call people names.

Let it out buddy. Let it all out.

He has:
- Entertaining fight style
- Big wins
- 2 title holder
- Biggest PPV events
- Biggest mainstream impact
- 1/2 of sherdog threads being about him

He has not:
- The biggest win streaks
- Title defenses
- The most well rounded style
- Unbeaten record
- Fights right now, very unactive

but thats not what this thread is about (because I know every Conor hater gonna say that)

The thread is about the most influential fighter in MMA history. It is Conor?

Conor-McGregor-on-the-cover-of-Sports-Illustrated.jpg

Conor-McGregor-2016-Cover-Mens-Health-UK.jpg

web1_conor1_7995473.jpg

fe6d27edb41bf4051c4241bfa5b43e77.jpg

conor%20mcgregor%20cod.jpg

ea3cover.jpg

ronaldo-mcgregor.png

35896A0800000578-3654006-Conor_Mcgregor_met_up_with_pop_superstar_Rihanna_after_she_kicke-a-17_1466585778744.jpg

McGregorSchwarz_3366844b.jpg

Conor-McGregor.jpg

drake-mcgregor

conor-obrien-on-conan.jpg

2F0C009B00000578-3352455-image-a-11_1449663522555.jpg

C93laX1XoAAm1An.jpg

no /thread

Influential for raising the size of his own paychecks and paying homage to Pee Wee Herman outfits.

Just saying he's not, while ignoring everything that argues he is isn't really convincing. Give examples, argue the point, rather than the constant crying. However, if you're a child, I guess it's okay to just call people names.

Let it out buddy. Let it all out.
shows how stupid you really are. I gave examples, built my case and explained my point of view... and here you are, demanding more because you chose to ignore all I wrote...

Not even remotely close.

Conor has influenced fighters to act like douchebag attention whores.

Royce Gracie influenced thousands if not millions of people to learn BJJ and helped make it an absolutely mandatory skill for anyone wishing to compete as a fighter.

Back