Do people underestimate how deadly a UFC fighter is in a street fight?

Yeah just avoid them anything can happen in a streetfight and ive been in few in my younger days i was very lucky nothing really bad happened to me.. Now I just try to de-escalate if that doesnt work i just back up or run even though I think i could beat their ass its never worth it fuck that shit

Pro fighters should always have the advantage in any fight - but a ruthless badass with no rules could for sure invite surprises.
Doesnt have to be a badass to be honest. A coward in the streets is the most dangerous and brutal person you will come across.

Edit: And yes, I dont street fight. Im practicing 2nd amendment.

I love it when people talk about fighting dirty or using weapons etc.. like the trained fighter can't also do those things and more efficiently than you.

Do you know what a knife fight actually looks like? It looks nothing like what's portrayed in movies. It's bloody af and both parties get cut up badly and stabbed a lot.

What typically happens is; someone charges in so they are chest to chest and then they stab the fuck out of the side and back of the othe guy. If it goes to the ground, stabbing continues.

What you guys don't seem to understand is a knife doesn't need much leverage or space to waste you, using them at range is suboptimal. Knives in the real world are not an extention to striking like you see in movies. Imagine grappling but with blades. You can't punch a guy that's smothering your range while they stab you. Bjj is basically useless and trying to grapple them just lets them stab you more.

Last edited:
Agree on the first two. Never had the pleasure of meeting him, though.

Met him at a fantasy author meet and greet. I use to teach a paper on fantasy literature and always tried to meet or talk to authors if I had the opportunity. I tried to get his books on the course but the course co-ordinater was a professor emeritus and Christian boomer who objected to the language, gore and general "grimdarkitute" of The Blade itself. I thought the Homer reference would pull him in.I was wrong. Pity, would have been the perfect excuse to enter into email discourse with abercrombie.

Instead I got to teach all the ususal books; LoTR, Narnia, His Dark Materials and embaressingly, Harry Potter. Thank jebus Ursala le Guinn was part of the course.

The real purpose of that course was to lure in 1st years with the promise of a fun easy paper and thereby generate revenue for the department. I had to mark on a weighted bell-curve because a well know stat around departments was converting 1st years into 2nd years often was a function of the quality of grade they recieved I.e an A student was more likely to remain in the department and a student became progressively less likely to take 2nd year papers the poorer thier grade. It's was a farce and is what occurs when neo-liberalisation drives everything. They teach the witcher now as well, because of course they do and LoTR is now a separate 2nd year paper.

Last edited:
Threads like this remind me why I don't post on sherdog so much anymore. So many people are just straight up dumb as fuck.

Sorry but no, most people aren't on testosterone and nor do most people box, grapple or even know what the fuck the ufc is.

And quite obviously a person with a gun is going to win a street confrontation, that however it not a fight and not the kind of 'street fight' someone would be referring to when talking about things like 'who would win a street fight?'

Sorry, but to whoever needs to hear this, a ufc fighter would not just beat you up in a cage but they'd also wreck you in the street.

Get a fucking grip, shit is delusional and embarrassing

See that's what I used to think untill I actually started training BJJ and I was unable to guillotine the guys. I was basicely applying a throat lock, which may hurt but won't end the fight. I had no idea how deep you had to wrap your bicep down the neck in order to actually apply it correctly.

So definitely no random bro knows how to guillotine someone. Or armbar for that matter(thumb up). Slams are a different story. Extremely deadly.
Yeah, 100% right, at 15 I also thought I knew how to armbar, triangle, guillotine, kimura etc because I could hit those on my boys. Turns out there’s a lot of intricacies to know about moves that guys haven’t even heard of. That’s funny you say that, I had the same experience with my guillotine until my coach explained you almost have to punch toward the ground to sink your arm in deep enough to secure the choke.

unless you’re name is McKenzie Dern or Aspen Ladd They are more undeadly than deadly.

Lol most the people itt are prob some weiner looking fatter versions of this guy who got ktfo. Unless normal person gets the jump on someone with a weapon or the fighter is black out drunk the fighter destroys said person.

Nah, they overestimate them if anything and pretend weight classes don't exist. Size is true both in the cage and the streets. Within a REASONABLE size the better fighter will win, but past that things can become fucked no different than in MMA where a LW just isn't beating a HW.

This is inspired by some Twitter MMA dude posting a pic about how nobody would ever guess that skinny nerd Chase Hooper would 100% beat 5x Olympian Chris Bumstead. CBum and Chase are the same height but CBum is over 100lbs heavier than Chase. Saying it's 100% Chase is retarded, the size and strength difference is off the charts.

And before someone says Royce/Ken/whoever...This also isn't the early 90s where nobody knew how to do any martial arts if they hadn't specifically trained under an actual coach/dojo. Today everybody's grappled and boxed even just casually with their friends. They may not have the skill level of an actual MMA fighter, but your random bro knows how to guillotine someone.
Dude cbum would get his ass kicked. It'd be one thing if you had said some big rugby or NFL players, then at least you'd have an argument as they are actually athletic and dangerous at that weight. Cbum would just be stiff with no conditioning or athleticism to be any good in a fight.

Yeah, 100% right, at 15 I also thought I knew how to armbar, triangle, guillotine, kimura etc because I could hit those on my boys. Turns out there’s a lot of intricacies to know about moves that guys haven’t even heard of. That’s funny you say that, I had the same experience with my guillotine until my coach explained you almost have to punch toward the ground to sink your arm in deep enough to secure the choke.

Well said. I mean like I said you can 'mimic' those BJJ moves as a random bro and you might cause pain to people, but you're not truly applying the deadly effectiveness of those techniques.

And if you try to hit them that way on an actual BJJ grappler you're doing fuck all to them, they're certainly not tapping. It's humbling and teaches you to talk about combat sports differently and you notice how people talk. Like most sherdoggers do sound like they've never trained in anything which is funny on an MMA forum.

MMA fighters would destroy people in a street fight. Street fights still favour a street fighter/regular Joe compared to a sanctioned MMA match though.

No weight classes. Going to the ground often isn't possible as third parties will intervene. No space if in a cramped setting.

So yeah, a 250 pound guy in a bar is going to have a better chance against Chase Hooper in a crowded setting than in a cage. It's going to look more like a hockey fight and that favours bums. They still will get wrecked 999/1000.

In my opinion, the messages in this thread are hilarious.

I know this is going to blow your minds but most of us that have fought in a cage have also been in many street fights…the only difference is the copious amounts of training.

When I was at MMA camps (ATT, Blackzilians etc etc) we would often go out drinking on the weekends and sometimes idiots would start shit. Es normal. Granted since most fighters know the direction things could go if escalated we (most of us) try to deescalate with words but sometimes people play stupid games.

With that said yes size, a weapon and #s can play a roll. Although, in any 1v1 street fight where one person is trained against someone who hasn’t spent their life preparing for conflict it’s generally going to be a rough night for the weekend warrior.

The average man is absolute dog shit in a street fight, and that includes guys who are athletic but don't train any kind of combat sport. Guys who fight a lot can learn some things but what you learn in brawls against other bums is very, very limited.

I don't know why some of you bring up weapons, a big size disparity or two on one situations, as if those things being game changers was some great revelation. (maybe men who don't train need to keep the fantasy of being able to handle themselves in a street fight alive?) The fact remains: trained guy >>> random bum.

Poly did this to some Sherdawger that got frisky...

NINTCHDBPICT000460200683.jpg

Back