Do people not appreciate a technical fight anymore?

Croton

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
My friends and I were at the edge of our seat the entire fight, yet it seems most people here are complaining that it was boring. Sure they weren't going out there and brawling, but in contrast it was the most technical high level striking fight I've seen in MMA. There were a ton of feints, tricks and setups and they constantly read each other and managed to dodge a large number of fight ending strikes and kicks. Controversy aside, did anyone else appreciate the fight for what it was?

It was a decent technical fight and will be underappreciated by the just bleed fans, but even in terms of a technical fight, it still wasn't all that great. I certainly wasn't at the edge of my seat. They were understandably tentative, though. Definitely not hating.

Honestly, man different people like different things. There are people such as yourself who love the brilliance of the technical aspect of MMA ie Wonderboy . Then there are people who love the all out brawl style ie Mark Hunt Derrick Lewis. Then there's in between.

I personally prefer the LHW and HW(top 5 fighters at least) because you'll know it'll be a slug fest and will be very entertaining.

Honestly, man different people like different things. There are people such as yourself who love the brilliance of the technical aspect of MMA ie Wonderboy . Then there are people who love the all out brawl style ie Mark Hunt Derrick Lewis. Then there's in between.

I personally prefer the LHW and HW(top 5 fighters at least) because you'll know it'll be a slug fest and will be very entertaining.
I'll be honest man. I love both.

I love technical fights, and I don't find them boring at all. It's high level MMA right in front of you! Appreciate the craft!

a lot of people around here have seen way to many fights. the "technical" fights become less interesting after a while. i'm one the used to watch slow fights and admire the technique, now they just bore me.

Frankie Edgar vs Tyson Griffin was a technical fight.
Till vs Thompson was a fight with two hesitant fighters barely engaging. Big difference.

Here's the thing. When you're still feinting and barely committing to any strikes in the 4th and 5th round that's telling me you're not trying to figure your opponent out anymore and are just scared of committing.

To me an example of a great technical fight is Cruz v. TJ. Both guys were fast and evasive, but more importantly they remained active throughout the entire fight.

I was on the edge of my seat up until the 4th round. Then I realized that both of them scared of each other and are about to lay an egg.

Machida vs Shogun 1 was a fun technical fight.

Thompson vs Till was just straight boring.

My friends and I were at the edge of our seat the entire fight, yet it seems most people here are complaining that it was boring. Sure they weren't going out there and brawling, but in contrast it was the most technical high level striking fight I've seen in MMA. There were a ton of feints, tricks and setups and they constantly read each other and managed to dodge a large number of fight ending strikes and kicks. Controversy aside, did anyone else appreciate the fight for what it was?
a la Hoyce vs SAKU GOAT 1, or RJJ vs B-Hop 2.

Not Woods vs WB

I think Machida-Shogun I fit the bill for what you're describing as a fun, very high level technical fight. This one they were too tentative for my taste. Seemed more concerned with being buddy-buddy than trying to hurt each other. Hate that shit in the middle of a fight.

I liked the fight, I don’t get people saying it was boring but then again there’s so many just bleed fans in mma that complain about everything. I don’t agree with the decision though, but I’ll admit it was a close enough fight not to be outraged by it.

I enjoyed the fight.

Would I have liked more aggression from the two? Yes.

But it was still an entertaining fight.

The entertainment lies within the context of a fighter willing to take punishment in order to deliver greater punishment.

That's why your av makes the $

It's an engaging fight live, to me. I liked the technical aspect. I'm already a fan of both of these guys though so I was interested to see the results of this matchup from the get go.

It was a decent technical fight and will be underappreciated by the just bleed fans, but even in terms of a technical fight, it still wasn't all that great. I certainly wasn't at the edge of my seat. They were understandably tentative, though. Definitely not hating.

Yeah pretty much, it was decent but the reality is Thompson barely ever commited to any offence that might put him in danger, he fought an incredibly safe fight same as he always does.

No they dont because 99% of MMA fans are fat kids who sit in their parents basement and never did a second of martial arts in their lives, I found the fight fascinating, it was a great chess match

In a great technical fight, even if the action is slow, there is a tension suggesting that somebody is going to make a mistake, and the other is going to come close to ending the contest with a fight ending move. Till vs Thompson felt like nothing would ever happen.

Thug Rose vs Joanna Champion 2 was a great technical fight.

Back