Do Non-Americans get weirded out when watching certain American movies

You know what I really don't get as an Englishman, about America.

KISS.

I'm not saying that the music is bad, but we have one guy trying to serenade seductively and an absolute lunatic pulling grim faces immediately after him...

The tone is outright weird.

God of Thunder and War Machine? Great.

Supposedly this song was supposed to be a joke. Kiss was a genuine hard rock band and their label wanted a more commercial friendly sound. Paul said he could write a disco song in 5 minutes so he did to prove a point and this was the result. The label loved it though, pushed it as the single and it made of ton of money so Kiss began taking a more pop rock/disco sound. So it is a very weird dynamic of a hard rock band performing a disco song

I would say that I have gotten used to most of it. Wearing shoes in your house, in bed. Not saying good bye on the phone etc.

But the wokeness and ultra sensitiveness really throws me off. But I feel that it’s a quite recent addition that you probably think about as well.

I get the cultural element but the effect on the brain is hard to ignore.

I'm a huge fan of football, played as a kid, watched every super bowl since I was 8, and all we did after school was play football. I'll be honest, my view on football is changing. The Frontline documentary "League of Denial" really bugged me. The story about the Indiana high school team that did cognitive tests in an fMRI before and after the seasons was disturbing. They accelerometers in their helmets the entire seasons. Not on diagnosed concussion yet every player showed cognitive decline (IIRC only the kicker didn't decline) ... in high school!!! Think how much harder the hits are in college never mind the NFL. It's just really disturbing and I don't know what you do about it. Rugby tackling is becoming routine and that is an improvement but you can not get away from repeated sub-concussive hits.
It is serious business. I am lucky my son is the one that does the hitting as a Linebacker and Corner. Still not safe but better than some spots. He knows not to lead with his head, and we taught that since 5 years old. I do worry for sure. He also wrestled and played Lacrosse so he has had his scrapes. His buddy played Soccer and had to quit for two concussions in a short period of time. One for a header, one for a collision. Hockay is bad too.

When my daughter was 11 a girl.down the street in her class had two concussions in 2 weeks playing hockey.

Ya, fuck that.

11 yr old brains are not designed to be concussed repeatedly.

Nah, not weirded out... most American movies do completely suck these days though...
Where are you from?

Because here in the US for like, over a year (2?) Netflix went blank on new content because of the writers strike. So Netflix snagged a bunch of Italian, Norwegian, Dutch, and Swedish movies. Dubbed them over with English and passed them off as "New Releases". I was not impressed with any of them.

Where are you from?

Because here in the US for like, over a year (2?) Netflix went blank on new content because of the writers strike. So Netflix snagged a bunch of Italian, Norwegian, Dutch, and Swedish movies. Dubbed them over with English and passed them off as "New Releases". I was not impressed with any of them.
Australia. All of Hollywood has just been garbage for a long time now... with the odd rare exception.

zombie movies the people use things like cricket bats and badminton rackets?
lol in what movie is that? You know Shaun of the Dead was a comedy movie right?

American school life looks really cool in movies and TV shows. The fabled homecoming queen and king contests. The mythical prom and the quest to get the girl you want to accept. The student body president election. The famed college life: moving away from home, joining fraternities and sororities, crazy large-scale parties. I'm sure it's exaggerated, but none of those things are even really a thing in many countries. In Canada the only thing in that list we experienced was prom, but at my school it was earlier (at age 16) and it was the lamest and most low budget thing you've ever seen. Canadian students typically stay at home when attending university, so it's not like some sort of amazing milestone where you get your parents out of your hair. There are dorms but there's nothing fun going on in there; they're just depressing. There were no fraternities or equivalent student organizations occupying specific residential buildings and organizing large-scale events or anything like that. It might have to do with the fact that a large chunk of the tuition is covered by the government; it's not like in the US where mom & dad have a 40,000$ fund for college and paying 1000$+ a month in fees to the fraternity or w/e is feasible. Overall it gives the sense that American students have a lot more autonomy.

So you’re wondering if people have trouble relating to charactors in movies having guns, but not the premise that zombies are real?

I bet there are people that think Zombies are real lol

American school life looks really cool in movies and TV shows. The fabled homecoming queen and king contests. The mythical prom and the quest to get the girl you want to accept. The student body president election. The famed college life: moving away from home, joining fraternities and sororities, crazy large-scale parties. I'm sure it's exaggerated, but none of those things are even really a thing in many countries. In Canada the only thing in that list we experienced was prom, but at my school it was earlier (at age 16) and it was the lamest and most low budget thing you've ever seen. Canadian students typically stay at home when attending university, so it's not like some sort of amazing milestone where you get your parents out of your hair. There are dorms but there's nothing fun going on in there; they're just depressing. There were no fraternities or equivalent student organizations occupying specific residential buildings and organizing large-scale events or anything like that. It might have to do with the fact that a large chunk of the tuition is covered by the government; it's not like in the US where mom & dad have a 40,000$ fund for college and paying 1000$+ a month in fees to the fraternity or w/e is feasible. Overall it gives the sense that American students have a lot more autonomy.

American school life looks really cool in movies and TV shows. The fabled homecoming queen and king contests. The mythical prom and the quest to get the girl you want to accept. The student body president election. The famed college life: moving away from home, joining fraternities and sororities, crazy large-scale parties. I'm sure it's exaggerated, but none of those things are even really a thing in many countries. In Canada the only thing in that list we experienced was prom, but at my school it was earlier (at age 16) and it was the lamest and most low budget thing you've ever seen.

I'm not sure where in Canada you are but the wealthy area high schools where I grew up absolutely mirrored those parties in 80s/90s movies. They also had the other activities you referenced.

My high school was split between low income, middle, and high income areas so you didn't get the movie-like experience but my friends at the preppy/wealthy high school absolute did. I ended up finishing high school where a large portion of kids were from a pricey north Toronto neighborhood and it had a wild party scene.

As for some of the other comments:
- my daughter joined a sorority at a Canadian school mostly for the opportunity at cheap housing. It's a $1000/yr and you have to do charity stuff or chores at the sorority house once a week but the upside is for years 2-4 housing is only $800/month as opposed to far off off campus housing that is 2x that (or more).

- as for tuition in Canada vs the US, current law school tuition at UofT is $33,000/yr (which I found shocking). So while US tuition is higher, so are employment opportunities.

I'm not sure where in Canada you are but the wealthy area high schools where I grew up absolutely mirrored those parties in 80s/90s movies. They also had the other activities you referenced.

My high school was split between low income, middle, and high income areas so you didn't get the movie-like experience but my friends at the preppy/wealthy high school absolute did. I ended up finishing high school where a large portion of kids were from a pricey north Toronto neighborhood and it had a wild party scene.

As for some of the other comments:
- my daughter joined a sorority at a Canadian school mostly for the opportunity at cheap housing. It's a $1000/yr and you have to do charity stuff or chores at the sorority house once a week but the upside is for years 2-4 housing is only $800/month as opposed to far off off campus housing that is 2x that (or more).

- as for tuition in Canada vs the US, current law school tuition at UofT is $33,000/yr (which I found shocking). So while US tuition is higher, so are employment opportunities.

It might be bad luck in my area then. I went to a private high school. It was relatively expensive and full of kids of doctors, lawyers, etc, but dreadfully boring. They even had us wear uniforms so everyone looked the same. I went to a cheaper university and it was a fairly barebones experience. It's the right move in the grand scheme but it wasn't very exciting.

I knew UofT was expensive but that pricing is ridiculous even for them. The trick with tuition is to get educated in Canada and then move to the US for the higher salary. Butter and money from the butter.

Back